Ide Channels

I have 2 H/D a 20gig and 80 gig a Plextor 48speed cdwriter and finally a Sony Dru 500 DVD writer.

Which would be the best configuration for all these as at the moment I have on Ide 0 the 20gig h/d master and slave Plextor and on IDE 1 I have the 80gig as master and DVD writer as slave.

Anyone got any better configuration, my 20gig has winxp pro on it

Thanks in anticipation

Buy a cheap Promise ATA100 PCI IDE controller, set all your devices to Master, put the two HDs on the controller channels, separately, and the optical drives on the mobo channels, separately. This setup will insure you that there will be no bottlenecking when you burn or copy on the fly w/ the DVD writer, from HD or CDRW, or vice versa.

Does it make any difference if I don’t copy on the fly ??

I’m sharing a 'puter. The older 8.4 GB hd (ATA 33) that came with it needs to stay on the motherboard (never know when I’ll have to pull my stuff out of the box). That will leave the reader (master) and my burner (slave) on the second mobo slot and the new 100 GB hd on the controller card since it is ATA 100.

Does it make any difference if I don’t copy on the fly ??

It makes no difference either way , copying on the fly can be done on the same channel or different channels at high speed. The only difference is when you wish to access 2 drives from different processes at the same time, then they need to be on different channels. There’s also no problems with mixing ATA33 and ATA100 on the same channel.

Thanks for the response rd.

I can mix the ATAs on the same channel and each will work at the correct speed ???

I can mix the ATAs on the same channel and each will work at the correct speed ???

Assuming current hardware and drivers, yes. You can have UDMA-2 and UDMA-5 on the same channel or even PIO and UDMA. Actual performance is another issue though, you really should try it both ways. It’s not so much what the drive’s rating is, but what it’s doing that most affects the other drive on the channel.

rdgrimes:

Thank you for the assist.

Originally posted by Stoner
Buy a cheap Promise ATA100 PCI IDE controller, set all your devices to Master, put the two HDs on the controller channels, separately, and the optical drives on the mobo channels, separately. This setup will insure you that there will be no bottlenecking when you burn or copy on the fly w/ the DVD writer, from HD or CDRW, or vice versa.

Have any of you guys who use an IDE controller card have problems with using up too much PCI bandwidth? Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t the PCI bus only allow a maximum of 133 MB/s? Won’t adding 2 hard drives along with other PCI peripherals cause bottle necking problems? I’m thinking of getting an IDE controller card (I don’t need one, but just would like to try out the configuration if it helps). I appreciate any comments you guys may have. Thanks!

Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t the PCI bus only allow a maximum of 133 MB/s? Won’t adding 2 hard drives along with other PCI peripherals cause bottle necking problems?

I think the number is higher than that. but in any case, it’s unlikely that you will exceed that It will of course depend on what you have on PCI, IRQ sharing and such. In some operations your performance will improve because you have less sharing of IDE channels. Keep in mind that most HD’s rarely exceed 66 MB/sec in normal operation.

i have three hds on my promise card and three optical drives on the mobo ide channels. everything works fine and even on my very slow computer i’ve only noticed more speed during operations. i’m about to install a 120gb maxtor that is capable of 133 speed. since i run a tx100 ide card, i’ll loose a little speed. i won’t upgrade the card because i don’t think, that for what i use it for, i need the extra speed. :wink: