IDE channels

I have both my DVD and CDRW on the same IDE channel (as master and slave)
and when I burn on the fly Nero tells me that there could be a speed problem because of this.
How fast can i burn on the fly whithout swithcing the drives around?

depending how much your pc can switch back and forth from primary to secondary. It has to grab info from your reader , then pass it on to your writers buffer , then switch back to grab info from your reader , and so forth.

Test it with a cd-rw on full speed and later with a cd-r.

personally - i can do 12x :wink:

the loss in speed to your hard drive often isnt worth putting the drives on different ide channels.

I’m doing 48x on-the-fly CD copies here with both on one channel. Using VIA 4-in-1 drivers. I see no difference on my system except when I want to do simultaneous separate operations with both CD drives. With 2 burners on the same channel, Nero can now burn to both at the same time from one instance of Nero, but not from 2 instances. I currently have them on separate channels so i can burn to one drive and use the other to read discs at the same time for another program. Or I can burn a different session to each drive from 2 instances of Nero.
BTW, there is no loss of HD speed from putting it on the same channel with a CD drive, unless your MB is pretty old.
Mr Duck, the only answer to your question is to try it all different ways and see what works on your board. And be sure you have up to date IDE drivers.

Originally posted by rdgrimes

BTW, there is no loss of HD speed from putting it on the same channel with a CD drive, unless your MB is pretty old.

i thought devices on the same IDE channel only ran as fast as the slowest one, IE an ata66 and an ata100 both run at ata66 on the same channel? im probably confused.

i thought devices on the same IDE channel only ran as fast as the slowest one

Not for a couple years, the current boards and drivers work just fine both ways.

lol - and that was something i thought i’d learned from reading our hardware forum. of course, thats probably cause i was too lazy to benchmark my speeds, as i have a dvd drive chained to my hard drive.

Just one of those things that gets repeated over and over. I change my config pretty often, just for fun. Right now, with HD and burner on primary, and HD and burner on secondary, I can burn 2 different image files, one to each burner, from the same HD, at 40x. Or I can burn one image file from one HD to one RW drive, either on the same channel or the opposite channel, while doing the same thing with the 2 remaining drives. I don’t think I could do that if the HD was running at UDMA-2.

Thats the way I have it on one of pc’s. HD/burner on primary, and HD/cd-rom on the other.

Thanks guys I can’t test it right now though because I only have 16x CD-r and 4x CD-rw :bigsmile:

For test purposes, you can shut off smartBurn, (this assumes you have a liteOn), and burn at higher speeds than the media can handle. Smartburn may still kick in during the burn, (slowing the speed), if the media is misbehaving, but you’ll get an idea if the setup will work.

you can shut off smartBurn, (this assumes you have a liteOn), and burn at higher speeds than the media can handle

I have a Cyberdrive 058D with firmware 1.40D is there a way to burn at higher speeds with it?

Look in the drive properties in Nero, “choose recorder”, is there a check box for the burn protection?

Originally posted by Donald_Duck
[B]

I have a Cyberdrive 058D with firmware 1.40D is there a way to burn at higher speeds with it? [/B]

Not faster as the drive can handle.

Look in the drive properties in Nero, “choose recorder”, is there a check box for the burn protection?

No

Not faster as the drive can handle.

I don’t want to burn faster than the drive can handle but faster than what the media is branded with. Any way to do this with a Cyberdrive 058D?

Your original post related to CD copying “on-the-fly”. The speed in this situation is generally limited by the source drive’s ability to deliver the data. It doesn’t matter what you do with the burner settings, it’ll still only burn as fast as the data is delivered, or slower if your buffer-underrun protection kicks in.

If you simply wish to burn , say 40x on 24x rated media, this depends on whether your drive utilizes a speed-limiting function. Your drive appears to use something called ExacLink.
If you have a 48x drive, but only a max speed of 32x is available for a specific media, then the drive has this feature. If it is possible to shut it off, Nero will provide a check box in the drive details.
BTW, burning media faster than it’s rated speed rarely results in a quality burn.

The ATA4 Command and Queuing protocol makes rig configuration a moot point as long as all devices are UDMA. PIO, though, should never be on the same channel as UDMA.

Your original post related to CD copying “on-the-fly”. The speed in this situation is generally limited by the source drive’s ability to deliver the data. It doesn’t matter what you do with the burner settings, it’ll still only burn as fast as the data is delivered, or slower if your buffer-underrun protection kicks in.

I got the answer to try burning on-the-fly at high speeds but i don’t have any “fast” media so sombody said i could turn the media speed checkong of if I had a LiteOn burner but Idon’t have one so I asked if I could do it with my Cyberdrive. And there is no option to turn speed limitation off in nero. Exact Link is some buffer-underrun-protection thingy"

If Nero is showing you different speed settings for different media, then your drive has some sort of database of media, (contained in the firmware), which tells it how fast the media can go. Updating your firmware may give you more media options. If the media is not listed in the database, the drive will select a default setting. LiteOn drives have the ability to turn off this speed limitation, your drive apparently does not. So your options are to update the firnware, and if that doesn’t help, get new media.

@Donald_Duck

I have my burner as Secondary Master & CD-ROM as Secondary Slave.

I can burn @ 12x without any buffer-underruns.