Ide Cables

Right then this may be very sillly but ill continue anyway…

I have a one cd rom, one cdrw. Connected on one ide cable.

I have one hdd drive and one zip drive connected to the other.

Now how do I install say a dvd writter?

I have no more ide cable ports?

And you cant get a larger than a 3 way ide cable can you?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks alot,

Scope

P.s. pc specs are as followed:

Athlon XP2600+ processor
ASRock K7S8X Motherboard
Dont know if you need owt else?

Hi there Scope and welcome to the forum

Plain and simple ? Not

The maximum of an IDE cable is one slave and one master device.
Sure , you can try to fiddle around with the Cable Select feature , but it will bring nothing good.

I’d advice you to purchase an extra PCI ide controller , such as promise sells.

As Mr. Belvedere stated you will need to get an ide controller such as the one make by promise mentioned. Controllers like that will usually allow you to have up to four devices and can usually share an interrupt. You might also consider sacrificing the cd-rom by doubling up using the cd-rw as both a reader and a writer. How much to you still use the zip drive? Maby it could go? Anyway you have a choice; make room by giving up something or use an additional ide controller. That Cable Select stuff won’t help; four ide devices are the limit.

Ahh brilliant youve made my day! I just thought it was my motherboard, and thought I would have to replace it! Now I know and that makes alot more sense, will def get a PCI ide controller!

Thanks you both for the quick reply and thanks for the greeting to the board as well!

Scope

Me again, which one out of these two do you recomend I get?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2759414583&category=167

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2758703899&category=168

Thanks again!

I wouldnt get a cheap (quality) one. You may have more problems. Get a Promise brand. I have the ATA100 TX2 Promise controller and it is excellent.

Hope this helps.

I wouldnt get a cheap (quality) one. You may have more problems. Get a Promise brand. I have the ATA100 TX2 Promise controller and it is excellent.

Hope this helps.