Ide cable dvdrrw 1004

vbimport

I have a dvd-rw btc 1004 connected to secondary master with a 80 pin ide cable but at the boot i have a this message “Secondary IDE Slave no 80 conductor cable installed”.
I must connect my dvdrw to a 40 pin or it is better a 80 pin ide cable. This message means that it is not good that i have my dvdrw connected to a 80 pin ide cable for the stability. The dvdrw works well. Thanks

I have a 1004 installed on an Abit KT7A motherboard, on the secondary IDE connector. I have a 40 wire cable, There is a Liteon CDRW as master, and the BTC 1004 is the slave.

I also get the BIOS message “No 80 wire cable…” on boot up.

But everything works fine.

The BTC 1004 is a UDMA33 device, and does not need an 80 wire cable. That is my understanding right now

I do not know if an 80 wire cable is worse than a 40 wire cable for a DVD writer.

There are two types of IDE cables

ATA33 (aka UltraDMA Mode-2) and

ATA66/100/133 (aka UltraDMA Mode-4/5/6).

The former has a 40-pin connector, 40-conductor (wires) design with up to a theoretical maximum data transfer of 33MBps.

The latter, a 40-pin and 80-conductor design with up to a theoretical maximum transfer of 133MBps.

If you set the BIOS to support an ATA66/100/133 capable device, then, the requirement is that you should use a 40-pin/80-conductor cable, and NOT a 40-pin/40-conductor cable - hence, the BIOS error message.

To resolve this error either replace the current cable with an 80-conductor one, or set the BIOS to support only ATA33 capable devices.

Worraps i’ve alrady a 80 pin ide cable connected to my dvd-rw. I would know if this error is not important and if i must connect my dvd-rw to a 40 pin ide cable or if it goes well therefore.

Originally posted by ruspa
Worraps i’ve alrady a 80 pin ide cable connected to my dvd-rw. I would know if this error is not important and if i must connect my dvd-rw to a 40 pin ide cable or if it goes well therefore.

As for the 80 pin IDE cable you mention - there is no such animal. UDMA cables are either 40 pin, 40 conductor or 40 pin, 80 conductor cables, both with a maximum length of 45 cm. Anything else is out of spec and you’re lucky if it works.

Maybe your problem is the cable length. Could be that your system is a tad pickier than most.

Regards, Martin A

I have a Shuttle XPC and the cable is short 15 or 20 cm.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Centurio
[B]As for the 80 pin IDE cable you mention - there is no such animal. UDMA cables are either 40 pin, 40 conductor or 40 pin, 80 conductor cables, both with a maximum length of 45 cm. Anything else is out of spec and you’re lucky if it works.

As for the 80-conductor cable you mention - there is no such animal. The 80-conductor cable has 39 pins, not 40. That plugged position is used by the motherboard to sense the presence of the hi-speed cable.
d.

While we’re getting overly picky…
The 40-conductor cable should have a 39 pin connector also. The missing/blocked pin (pin #20) is simply part of the mechanism to ensure the connecter is always plugged in correctly. See HERE . Unfortunately this system is not always adhered to by cable manufacturers of either type.
The motherboard senses the presence of 80-conductor cable by detecting whether pin #34 (apparently the /PDIAG/CBLID signal) is grounded. See HERE .

80-conductor cables are designed to have the master device at the end of the cable and the slave in the middle. I’m not sure if this is just because of the cable-select standard or whether there’s other issues, but are the devices connected the right way?
Dash

I’m not sure it makes any real difference functionally as long as a single device on an IDE cable is always on the end connector (to prevent signal ringing). If there are two devices the master is supposed to be on the end but I’m not convinced it makes any difference. I do know that I’ve built systems with the slave on the end connector only because cable-length restricted physical placement of the drives. I wanted the slave to be on top, so that dictated that the slave be on the end of the cable. That was with ATA100 hard drives and it worked fine.
d.