IDC: 'Windows 8 should have contained start button'

IDC: ‘Windows 8 should have contained start button’.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2013/01/qELaeF.jpg[/newsimage]Microsoft has made a couple of mistakes in Windows 8,  according to an IDC researcher. 

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/idc-windows-8-should-have-contained-start-button-66432/](http://www.myce.com/news/idc-windows-8-should-have-contained-start-button-66432/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Isn’t this stating the obvious?

[QUOTE=UTR;2680656]Isn’t this stating the obvious?[/QUOTE]

+1.

I got a good laugh out of your comment.

And that’s why SourceForge and numerous other third-party outfits have provided fixes for what M$ flubbed; e.g.:

Is Bob O’Donnel really just figuring this out? That’s pretty much what everyone’s been saying for the past several months, now. Options are generally a good thing. I do hope Microsoft realizes this ASAP, as they are definitely facing the consequences as we speak.

It takes longer for “opinions” to reach the media market. They have to make sure not to interrupt the flow of advertising dollars by making critical, but truthful, commentary on products/services advertised on their websites and magazines. They also have to make sure that all the propaganda being spun by MS about how great W8 is has fallen on deaf ears.

Now that W8 is costing hardware/software companies profit and sales the truth is starting to be heard about its shortcomings. It will be interesting to see if MS caves in to the pressure to bring back the Start Menu and booting to the Desktop. I put this debacle by MS with the Start Menu right up there with the “New Coke” disaster from the Coca-Cola company in 1985.

[QUOTE=UTR;2680799] I put this debacle by MS with the Start Menu right up there with the “New Coke” disaster from the Coca-Cola company in 1985.[/QUOTE]

But those sneaky bastards did something that nobody noticed. The changed from real sugar to high fructose corn syrup… Classic Coke!

That’s why people are buying Coke from Mexico!

[QUOTE=redk9258;2680818]That’s why people are buying Coke from Mexico![/QUOTE]

They are buying coke from Mexico but not the kind that comes in a bottle. :wink:

Personally I think Windows 8 is great … So long as you’ve never used a computer before, or at least are one of the people that have zero interest in computers, and only use it for email and Internet.

But the thing is … tablets are better for this target anyway.

Immediate accessibility on/off
Zero administration requirements.
Zero hardware issues.
No software incompatibilities.

The problem is that pc’s, and by extension Windows 8, fails all of those above reasons that I’d recommend a tablet to a technophobe.

And now since it’s such a radical change from previous work flow, I can’t recommend it for anyone with “intermediate” IT skills either, without a 3rd party software, which may or may not be broken by future Microsoft patches.

SP1 had better reintroduce some sanity back into Windows, or is Linux for everyone !

[QUOTE=debro;2680836]
And now since it’s such a radical change from previous work flow, I can’t recommend it for anyone with “intermediate” IT skills either, without a 3rd party software, which may or may not be broken by future Microsoft patches.

SP1 had better reintroduce some sanity back into Windows, or is Linux for everyone ![/QUOTE]

Actually you are on to something with those sentiments.
The progression of time has seen the desktop partially replaced by laptops then laptops replaced by tabs, etc.

The main rub is desktops still remains supreme in versatility followed behind by laptops.
Tabs and such remain relegated mainly to pleasure mobile devices, they can’t do what the former are capable of doing.

What MS decided to do was marry down the abilities of serious computing to tab, phones level…or at least make it more difficult to navigate to the heart of the OS.

On an elementary level of computing, tabs and such are close to what W8 tried to achieve…and as you pointed out Linux distros can do the same thing though without support for all that software out there that runs on Windows OSs.

I do wonder what happened at MS, were there any dissenting voices to heard about what the implications of this decision?
Perhaps the negative voices were told where the door was…?

Today wouldn’t be too soon for them to put out a patch and put the start button back in.
Yeah, there are ways to reinstate the start program but they are not legit.

As stated before, there are multitudes that won’t know how or plain won’t install
a 3rd party start program to get W8 look like previous OSs.
They will simply send their computer back where they got it from hence we see
a company like Samsung making a public statement.

I do wish the major Linux distros would work on making more programs compatible
with their operating systems.
I sort of like Ubuntu…

[QUOTE=Steve33;2680843]I do wish the major Linux distros would work on making more programs compatible
with their operating systems.
I sort of like Ubuntu…[/QUOTE]
Try Linux Mint (Cinnamon or Mate) - they’re based on ubuntu :wink:
But don’t have the weird interface.

With the rise in popularity of smart phones and tablets, many people are being exposed to operating systems other than Windows. I think this is slowly opening up people to consider OSs other than Windows. Android is not far from providing a desktop OS that would be perfectly acceptable to the light computer user that wants to surf the web, type emails etc. I am typing this reply on an Asus TF300T with the docking keyboard and it is more than adequate for a light use laptop raplacement. MS will not gain in the tablet.phone market by irritating their user base of desktop and laptop users. In fact, it will have the reverse effect and cost them credibility.

I am still waiting for someone to give me a plausible reason why MS removed the Start Menu from W8. It defies all logic, IMO.

I have Ubuntu and W7 in dual-boot on my old laptop and Ubuntu can do quite a bit beyond basic computing. (I may have to try out the Cinnamon one of these days yet for now am content with Ubuntu.)
Only problem I see is there are quite a number of very useful programs (software) that is still lacking in the Linux catalog.
And I am not sure about drivers for all devices either.

Yes, it does defy logic(no start menu), perhaps there is a nut behind the wheel.