IDC: Free Windows 10 upgrade has negative effect on PC sales

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: IDC: Free Windows 10 upgrade has negative effect on PC sales[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2015/07/myce-windows-10-here-95x75.png[/newsimage]

The free upgrade to Windows 10 for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users has a negative effect on the PC market, according to market research company IDC.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/idc-free-windows-10-upgrade-negative-effect-pc-sales-79678/](http://www.myce.com/news/idc-free-windows-10-upgrade-negative-effect-pc-sales-79678/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I think maybe the financial aspect and the fact that even a 5 year old PC/Laptop is still o.k. for office work no matter the OS has more to do with the decline of PC sales than the free upgrade to Windows 10.

On another note, considering the persistent eagerness from Microsoft, I can not help but thinking the free upgrade offer will be extended, though I hope not.

I sincerely hope not also :iagree:

[QUOTE=Xercus;2776158]I think maybe the financial aspect and the fact that even a 5 year old PC/Laptop is still o.k. for office work no matter the OS has more to do with the decline of PC sales than the free upgrade to Windows 10.

On another note, considering the persistent eagerness from Microsoft, I can not help but thinking the free upgrade offer will be extended, though I hope not.[/QUOTE]

highly doubtful of MS extending the free Win10 upgrade offer beyond July 29, 2016.

It could be a coincidence.

Personally I find that the years between full PC replacements is getting longer and longer.  PC’s have so much power now. Unless your gaming, a decent PC from 6 years ago will still run fine.

I think they’re blaming windows 10, but I think it’s the move to portable devices and most people not needing upgrades that are slowing down sales.

I think it has had an impact. I needed a PC to do light duty as a secondary work station and didn’t really want to spend the money on something new. I searched around ebay and found an HP Elite 8300 USFF with 8gb RAM, 500gb HD, i5-3570s CPU, four USB 3.0 ports, internal wireless card and power supply for $150 shipped to my door. It had a fresh install of Windows 7 Professional that I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro for free. Can’t beat that deal with a stick and it takes up hardly no desk space. It runs like a scalded rabbit with absolutely no noise. The third gen i5 CPUs are still quite capable processors and can run non-gaming programs just fine. Heck, run a decent video card (not possible with the 8300 USFF) with it and it can game quite well.

I ended up buying another PC, an 8200 Elite USFF with 6gb RAM, 250gb, an i5-2500s for $90 shipped to my door to have as a spare, if needed. The BIOS activated a Windows 7 Pro installation without a hitch and then upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. That is what I call bang-for-the-buck!

I am probably not the only person to take this route. The BIOS of many name brand computers will activate the version of Windows it came with new. So getting a computer that runs decently with the latest Windows version can be done for almost nothing. If a Core2 CPU can meet your needs then you can have a setup for around $50, or less, running Windows 10.

[QUOTE=UTR;2776189]I think it has had an impact. I needed a PC to do light duty as a secondary work station and didn’t really want to spend the money on something new. I searched around ebay and found an HP Elite 8300 USFF with 8gb RAM, 500gb HD, i5-3570s CPU, four USB 3.0 ports, internal wireless card and power supply for $150 shipped to my door. It had a fresh install of Windows 7 Professional that I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro for free. Can’t beat that deal with a stick and it takes up hardly no desk space. It runs like a scalded rabbit with absolutely no noise. The third gen i5 CPUs are still quite capable processors and can run non-gaming programs just fine. Heck, run a decent video card (not possible with the 8300 USFF) with it and it can game quite well.

I ended up buying another PC, an 8200 Elite USFF with 6gb RAM, 250gb, an i5-2500s for $90 shipped to my door to have as a spare, if needed. The BIOS activated a Windows 7 Pro installation without a hitch and then upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. That is what I call bang-for-the-buck!

I am probably not the only person to take this route. The BIOS of many name brand computers will activate the version of Windows it came with new. So getting a computer that runs decently with the latest Windows version can be done for almost nothing. If a Core2 CPU can meet your needs then you can have a setup for around $50, or less, running Windows 10.[/QUOTE]

You certainly know how to shop!!

:bow:

[QUOTE=whatever_gong82;2776302]You certainly know how to shop!![/QUOTE]

I was quite surprised by what I found on ebay for used computers. It seems that there is a glut of small PCs previously owned by large companies that have flooded the used marketplace. Even better is that these PCs came with Windows 7 Professional when new so the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro is simple and free. Even PCs without hard drives can have a legitimate copy of Windows 7 installed due to the activation by the computer’s BIOS. One doesn’t even need a Windows key to activate an installation for these computers.

History repeats itself. In the '80s, the computer industry saw the rise of one type of machine, and the decline of another. People stopped using mini computers in favor of newer sleeker “micro” computers. The same thing is happening with laptops and desktops: people are switching from type of computer to another. As tablets and smart phones rise, desktops and phones will likely decline, unless the desktop/laptop manufacturers find a way to re-invent the wheel.