Icy Dock launches bare-HDD hot-swap internal docking station

vbimport

Icy Dock launches bare-HDD hot-swap internal docking station.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/[/newsimage]Icy Dock has unveiled its latest 5.25" bay dock, the MB971SP-B DuoSwap that bare 2.5" and 3.5" HDDs can be slotted directly into, without the need for a tray or screwing anything on to the HDD.  The dock can hold a 2.5" HDD and a 3.5" HDD simultaneously and each slot has individual power and eject buttons.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/icy-dock-launches-bare-hdd-hot-swap-internal-docking-station-61597/](http://www.myce.com/news/icy-dock-launches-bare-hdd-hot-swap-internal-docking-station-61597/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Deliverance! I can finally put the side cover back on my PC.
Sadly, my cat’s will no longer be able to play with the SATA cables
protruding from the case.

Excuse me, but I’ve had a hot-swap internal bay (made by KingWin) in my system for years. So, other than this product also supporting 2.5" drives, why exactly is it such a huge flippin’ deal?

I have a front mounted 5-1/4" dock that takes 3.5" drives made by Antec.
It’s not hot swappable, but…

AD

These enclosure are very nice in theory, but all of them have a bad defect: there is no cooling system for the drives.

I installed a similar hot swap enclosure, but when I extracted the drive it was so hot that it scared me (luckily I didn’t melt the HDD).

Of course, it is not possible to install a fan in front, and cases doesn’t allow to install a fan on side, so basically these enclosures are pretty useless.

I have hot swap bays in everyone of my 4 builds, the Corsair Obsidian Series, 800D 4 hotswaps bays and the 650D only 1 on the top.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2643097]I have hot swap bays in everyone of my 4 builds, the Corsair Obsidian Series, 800D 4 hotswaps bays and the 650D only 1 on the top.[/QUOTE] these are very handy for someone that has limited hdd space.

External HDD docking bays are also very handy, available with eSATA and USB-3 interfaces and slots for 1-4 HDDs. They also offer the benefit of being portable.

[QUOTE=CDan;2643106]External HDD docking bays are also very handy, available with eSATA and USB-3 interfaces and slots for 1-4 HDDs. They also offer the benefit of being portable.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean something like this?

[QUOTE=geno888;2643157]Do you mean something like this?[/QUOTE]

Nope, like THIS. They also have no cooling issues.

the best case cooling scheme, and thus best method of drive cooling, it to use the fans in the back and top of the case to blow air out of the case.

Then control how the air flows over the components you want cool.

On my case there’s a 100mm fan in the top and a 150mm fan in the back both blowing out.

In addition there’s a 150mm fan in the bottom of the PSU blowing out through
The PSU, the CPU cooler draws air off the CPU heat sink and directs the hot air towards the PSU fan.

The air inlets in my case all encourage airflow across the hard drives

And while I have one older WD 250gb drive that gets hot enough to
brand cattle when run in that drive bay none of my other "loose"
drives runs more than 3-4’C warmer than the internal drives
(that have their own air inlet) the internal drives in my computer
stay at 40’C

How hot do your drives really get?

[QUOTE=CDan;2643174]Nope, like THIS. They also have no cooling issues.[/QUOTE]

oops :bigsmile:

Are you sure that there are no cooling issues? When I insert a disk in an external box, the disk can become very hot, so I always put a fan over the disk

@AllanDeGroot
Currently my disks are installed in front of a 12cm fan blowing fresh air over them. There are two cages for HDD, each containing 3 drives, so 6 HDDs and 2 fans. See pic for temperatures :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=geno888;2643327]oops :bigsmile:

Are you sure that there are no cooling issues? When I insert a disk in an external box, the disk can become very hot, so I always put a fan over the disk
[/QUOTE]

I recently measured surface temps on a Samsung F4 in a single drive dock, while doing a 2TB transfer. The hottest temp I could get was 125’ F on the back side near the spindle. (room was about 75’ F) Average surface temp was under 100’ F. The “green” type drives all tend to run pretty cool anyhow, but oriented vertically there’s no way for heat to build up. If a drive gets hot in a docking station, it’s because it normally runs hot.

Right now my WD “Black” 500gb boot drive is running at 40degC.

My pair of WD Black 750gb drives are running at 34degC

I don’t know what my Seagate 2tb “Green” drive is running at because it’s connected via eSATA in an external enclosure. AND at the moment it’s turned off.

as stated above:
“If a drive gets hot in a docking station, it’s because it normally runs hot.”

I agree.

You also have to take into account the ambient temps when you are comparing.

my current Ambient is 31C

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2643356]my current Ambient is 31C

AD[/QUOTE]
If your Ambient temps are 31C then 40 C is not bad:D

It still makes me feel better to have a fan blowing fresh air over the disk :slight_smile:

If cases would allow to put fans in the side of the HDD cages, then I’ll install one of these hot swap tray for each disk :iagree: