Icons won't open

vbimport

I use XP with SP2…when I click on my IE or Hotmail icon they don’t always open. I usually have to click on them a few times, but it locks up my pc occassionally. When I reboot, I get an eror saying IE is still running. I have checked for viruses, spyware, malware, etc. and the programs say nothing is wrong. I use AVG, SpyBot Search&Destroy, Ad-Aware Pro, CCleaner and all is fine.

I’d appreciate any help. Thanks.

Also when I close a folder or a program and go back to my desktoip, is it normal for my icon to refresh themselves? Could this be a result of the above problem?

first part of your question…
I dont’ know

last question … This is perfectly normal windows behaviour. All that is happening is that
the desktop environment is refreshing itself. Sometimes this happens while
windows is busy (like closing the processes from your application) and it
does take a couple of seconds to refresh the icons. There are ways to stop
it from happening, but it is inadviseable to do so, because the inability to
refresh can cause the windows explorer itself to stop working. You can tell
when this happens because you will be staring at the background image and
nothing else. there is a fix…if you want to disable it…although i really don’t think you want to do that… ([HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
“NoNetCrawling”=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
“Max Cached Icons”=“12000” )

I use XP with SP2…when I click on my IE or Hotmail icon they don’t always open. I usually have to click on them a few times, but it locks up my pc occassionally. When I reboot, I get an eror saying IE is still running.

IE6 or IE7 ?
Have you done all updates for IE ?
Some toolbars try to take over IE and IE does not always like it.

bean55

When I reboot, I get an eror saying IE is still running.

Shutdown will usually clear up more than a reboot does.

bean55

[QUOTE=bean55;2048858]IE6 or IE7 ?
Have you done all updates for IE ?
Some toolbars try to take over IE and IE does not always like it.

bean55[/QUOTE]

IE 6 and all the updates.

And toolbar ?
May need to uninstall the toolbar ( if you have one ) and reload it.

Is it happening all the time? or just when you first start on the computer after not doing anything for awhile?

Some icons/programs come out of hibernation mode very slowly.Clicking on it more than once also slows it down even more because it thinks you want it to start more than once.

bean55