I7 Overclocking thread

So has anyone made the jump yet?

I finished my build yesterday and I am happy with the results so far.

These CPU’s are amazing, just as an example using ConvertXtoDvd on my Core2Duo converting a 100 min AVI to DVD was about 15mins and on the i7 it took 8mins and that’s with a slower hard drive :slight_smile:

Yes these Chips do run this hot and most people on air cooling will see 80c so actually these temps are pretty good.

I did run a stress overnight but didn’t save it will the temps maxed so this is a short run.

Here are specs

i7 920 @ 4.0GHz
Scythe MUGEN-2 with Push/Pull
Gigabyte EX58 UD5
3X2GB G-Skill DDR3
eVGA GTX 260
24" Acer HDMI LCD
Corsair TX850
Gigabyte 3d Aurora

Looks great MegaDETH, you are correct these new chips run very hot, what cooler are you using? You are now in a completely different league of Overclockers.:wink: Here is the CPU-Z from a friends new build.

That is a nice over clock. How fast did you have the old Core2 running?

I was thinking about going with an i7 920, but the wife reminded me that this is a tough economy and I may be on the layoff list soon… I went with the AMD Phenom II 940. It’s a big improvement over my old Intel C2D E6600 that was retired to my wife and kids for their use… However, I am happy with it… It looks like I survived this round of layoffs as well, but not going to build an i7 rig this year… maybe if the economy gets better (doubt it) I’ll try it spring 2010.

Have to do some time tests with ConvertX myself to compare the E6600 vs. the PhII920… won’t hijack your thread though… just a little envious.

Using the Scythe MUGEN-2 with 2 fans in Push/Pull, very big pain in the ass to install.

My old core2duo was running 3.7GHz.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2224182]Looks great MegaDETH, you are correct these new chips run very hot, what cooler are you using? You are now in a completely different league of Overclockers.:wink: Here is the CPU-Z from a friends new build.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;2224240]Using the Scythe MUGEN-2 with 2 fans in Push/Pull, very big pain in the ass to install.

My old core2duo was running 3.7GHz.[/QUOTE]

Snap a photo of that, DETH… would like to see that setup.

Hey SithTracy, let see some pics of your new build also. I bet that AMD is really cookin.:wink:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2224319]Hey SithTracy, let see some pics of your new build also. I bet that AMD is really cookin.;)[/QUOTE]

Will do next week when my Cooler Master CM 690 arrives… Currently have it in an Antec Solo and I am not happy with it… way too cramped. Don’t want the big cases anymore now that eSATA is here… put some of my ODD’s and HDD in external cases and only power them when I need them.

Next time I have my system out of my desk I will do.

The insides not pretty, the motherboard and Video card JUST fit and I mean JUST fit. Might have to get a new case and do it all over again :sad:

[QUOTE=SithTracy;2224304]Snap a photo of that, DETH… would like to see that setup.[/QUOTE]