i7-920+HD5770 vs i5-750+HD5870

vbimport

I run games (if I didn’t, why the hell would I be asking about these specs ?).

For the same price, which one would you take ?

Thanks in advance!

For a gamer the 5850/5870 with the i5-750 would be best!

[QUOTE=eric93se;2478622]For a gamer the 5850/5870 with the i5-750 would be best![/QUOTE]

It also depends on the motherboard’s chipset that the i5 would be used with. For example, most of the i5 systems use the Intel P55 chipset, which has only 16 available PCIe lanes outside of those used by the on-motherboard PCIe devices. This leaves absolutely no room at all whatsoever for PCIe expansion cards when a good video card is installed. Thus, any expansion on a P55-based system, such as an upgraded sound card or a TV tuner card, requires either a downgrade of the PCIe video card operation to 8 or fewer lanes or a reversion to the legacy 32-bit/33MHz PCI bus or an external USB device.

Regarding P55 and PCIe, that isn’t strictly true [B]RJL65[/B]. All PCIe x1 sockets are connected and use the PCH and don’t steal lanes from the two main PCIe x16 sockets.

Sound cards, tuners etc etc, only ever use PCIe x1 in my experience, so unless the user wanted Crossfire or SLI, then yes, each card would only run at x8. But then again, PCIe x16 on P55 is onboard the CPU package itself, and much more efficient and has much lower latency than the arrangement on the X58 chipset. Not to mention it uses much less power. The i5 is also a cool running chip as it has no HT, and overclocks very well.

In the benchmarks that i have seen, the i5 750 is faster than the i7 920.

RJL65, I realize the potential of the x58, my comment was based on the choice the OP was faced with.

Thanks, guys. I was figuring that the graphics card would be the priority on this scenario, I just wanted to hear opinions from people who’ve been following this thing closer than I have lately (bought my last PC some 6 years ago).

This bit caught my attention:

In the benchmarks that i have seen, the i5 750 is faster than the i7 920.

Have any links, Dee ? Thanks again.

[QUOTE=Kweldood;2478747]Thanks, guys. I was figuring that the graphics card would be the priority on this scenario, I just wanted to hear opinions from people who’ve been following this thing closer than I have lately (bought my last PC some 6 years ago).

This bit caught my attention:

Have any links, Dee ? Thanks again.[/QUOTE]You may find this article interesting.

Some benchmarks here of what i5 and P55 can do. :slight_smile:

http://club.myce.com/f7/dees-new-i5-system-306369/

Looking good, and lucky me with the timing of your own upgrade - nice review.

Now, off to find me a shop where they like me face and give me one of those for free, xmas spirit and all :flower:

It seems that the place I’m considering to buy from doesn’t carry the GA-P55A-UD4. They have the GA-P55A-UD3, which from Dee’s posts I gather is not as effective regarding power and overclocking, and the GA-P55-UD4 (minus the “A”) - any idea about this one ?

The other option I’m looking at is the Asus P7P55D series… since I dont’ need anything fancy feature wise (e.g. I really don’t care about USB 3 or SATA 3), I was wondering if the cheaper P7P55D-LE is a good choice.

Thanks for any input.

The GigaByte GA-P55[B]A[/B]-UD4 has SATA3 and USB3
The GigaByte GA-P55 -UD4 = same as GA-P55A-UD4 minus the SATA3 and USB3.
The GigaByte GA-P55A-UD3 has USB3 and SATA3, but no eSATA and the CPU power pump is not as well cooled or as powerful as the UD4

There are many good P55 motherboards out there including ones from Asus, my personal preference is for GigaByte.
MSI, Foxconn, EVGA are also worth looking at.

[QUOTE=Dee;2478666]Regarding P55 and PCIe, that isn’t strictly true [B]RJL65[/B]. All PCIe x1 sockets are connected and use the PCH and don’t steal lanes from the two main PCIe x16 sockets.

Sound cards, tuners etc etc, only ever use PCIe x1 in my experience, so unless the user wanted Crossfire or SLI, then yes, each card would only run at x8. But then again, PCIe x16 on P55 is onboard the CPU package itself, and much more efficient and has much lower latency than the arrangement on the X58 chipset. Not to mention it uses much less power. The i5 is also a cool running chip as it has no HT, and overclocks very well.

In the benchmarks that i have seen, the i5 750 is faster than the i7 920.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the correction. What I have seen until I re-read this was based on inaccurate comments in other forums. The P55 itself does have eight PCIe lanes, but the graphics PCIe x16 lanes are on the LGA1156 CPU die itself. This gives a P55-based i5 or i7 system a total of 24 PCIe lanes. That’s plenty of available lanes to handle a single high-end graphics card plus a PCIe TV tuner card and a high-end PCIe sound card (if you ever need one for audio production rather than mere audio listening). That still leaves six available PCIe lanes (or one PCIe x4 plus two PCIe x1 slots), if the motherboard manufacturer chooses to implement them all, open in a typical P55/LGA1156 system.

[QUOTE=RJL65;2481234]Thanks for the correction. What I have seen until I re-read this was based on inaccurate comments in other forums. The P55 itself does have eight PCIe lanes, but the graphics PCIe x16 lanes are on the LGA1156 CPU die itself. This gives a P55-based i5 or i7 system a total of 24 PCIe lanes. That’s plenty of available lanes to handle a single high-end graphics card plus a PCIe TV tuner card and a high-end PCIe sound card (if you ever need one for audio production rather than mere audio listening). That still leaves six available PCIe lanes (or one PCIe x4 plus two PCIe x1 slots), if the motherboard manufacturer chooses to implement them all, open in a typical P55/LGA1156 system.[/QUOTE]

In fact, I tried to hammer this message to users on some other forums which still didn’t get it (or they still believe that the LGA1156/P55 setup still has only 16 PCIe lanes total). The LGA1366 CPU/X58 IOH has 36 PCIe graphics-dedicated lanes (just like the 16 graphics-dedicated PCIe lanes on an LGA1156 CPU itself). The P55 part adds eight PCIe lanes to the equation, while PCIe 1.x non-graphics-exclusive support (up to six PCIe lanes) comes from an ICH10R (the same ICH that had been used with the previous generation X48 and P45 chipsets for the Core2 series).

…and?
//Danne

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2490849]…and?[/QUOTE]

Some people over there still don’t get the message. Instead, they keep right on blabbering about the lack of any room whatsoever for internal expansion on the 1156/P55 systems with one PCIe x16 graphics card or two PCIe x8 graphics cards in use.

And I have discovered that they looked at only the CPU or IOH (“North Bridge”), and completely ignored the ICH (“South Bridge”). These i7/i5 systems actually have two PCIe buses (with the second PCIe bus reserved for non-graphics use), not the single shared PCIe bus that was very common in older Core2 systems.