I would like to purchase a TV

Hello…
i would like to purchase a TV
i got about 1000 dollars…a need a big tv about 36inch i think…tanx

Where do you live?
//Danne

i take it you are from the usa as you say “dollers”, on amazon.com i found a few one for less than $1000, a good philips one i found was HERE, but without more info on what you want (brand preffernce/hdtv or not/flat screen/colour) i cant really help you much, however there are not many 36" for less than $1000 :slight_smile:

At 36" this is close to the limit for a standard (CRT based) TV, so make sure you have adequate space to handle the depth of the TV as well as someone to help lift the set. :stuck_out_tongue:

It is fairly difficult at present to find HDTV sets in this size for under $ 1,000. The one posted by BCN_246 seems fairly reaonsable and offers both HDTV and line-doubling to reduce the ‘interlaced’ effect on standard definition TV.

With a large TV size (>28") the main features to look out for is double frequency scanning (100Hz for PAL, 120Hz for NTSC) as the refresh ‘flicker’ gets clearly noticeable with large sets and can cause a headache with some people. Noise reduction is also useful since artefacts and ‘interlacing’ effect becomes more annoying with large sets.

Finally, if you are going for a HDTV set, ensure it supports either component input or HDCP-DVI. The HDCP support will allow the set to display flag-controlled digital content. Unfortunately, the FCC requires all broadcasts to be flag-controlled (restricted with anti-copy measures) by July 2005 :Z , which means a standard DVI connection would not work with protected digital broadcasts.

tanx…by the way r u jewish?

Nope, I’m Irish. Not sure what this has got to do with choosing a TV set :stuck_out_tongue:

I got most of my knowledge on American TV standards from reading about and while visting relatives in the US. For example, there is no point in saying to you to look out for a SCART socket, Teletext, Nicam, etc. as these features are only found in European sets. :wink:

@ seanbyrne
Actually 100Hz is a lot better than 50Hz (PAL) if you get a decent TV, the cheap ones as you said are quite bad.
//Danne

spit fire where abouts do you live? then people might be able to help you choose one :slight_smile:

LG and Samsung have just started to try to sell more HDTV sets this year. Why this year?

1. The South Korean government decided to continue to support the US standard.

2. Olympics in the land of Olympics!

3. HDTV sets using the latest 6th and 7th generation LCD lines will soon start flooding the market.

Therefore, I’m keeping my eyes on the falling prices of plasma and projection TVs. :slight_smile:

The PHILIPS 36PT842H recommended by bcn_246 seems great for US$1,000. Maybe it’ll be a little more than US$1,000 including tax. I prefer 4:3 TV sets than 16:9 or 16:10 sets because the actual viewable area size is much bigger with 4:3 sets for the same money.

From J&R Music and Computer World
PHILIPS 36PT842H ? This is the affordable, excellent HDTV Monitor we’ve all awaited! This Direct View display offers a true High Definition 1080i display, with widescreen ( 16:9 ) and fullscreen ( 4:3 ) display modes (HD decoder required for HD reception).
36" Real Flat high contrast invar picture tube
Two-tuner Picture-in-Picture capability
Active Control continuously optimizes picture ? even adjusting for changes in ambient light!
Eye Fidelity Progressive / Interlaced line doubling
Scan Velocity Modulation
Side stereo AV inputs, with S-Video and headphone jack
Rear stereo AV inputs / outputs, with CVI and S-Video
Two HD Component inputs
3D digital comb filter for finest picture detail
20 watt audio with Virtual Dolby surround
Universal remote controller
Dimensions: 30.7"H x 38.9"W x 23.7"D
Weight: 213.8 pounds
Limited manufacturer’s warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor, and 2 years CRT (tube)

213.8 pounds means it’s twice heavier than me. No thanks! :bigsmile:

Seriously, I’m very annoyed with my two 29-inch CRT TV sets. Both are South Korean models. The 20-inch LCD monitor/TV I’m using is not that smaller compared to those 29-inch CRT sets, but while it’s easy to move the LCD unit with one hand, it’s not easy to move the CRT units with two hands. I can move 150kg machine alone without using any wheel or tool sometimes but the TV sets are not only heavy, but too big, too deep, too wide. I also have a 29-inch CRT monitor that has a Dsub-15 connector which I used a few times for watching DVD.

Dunno if the model exists on your side of the atlantic but if your looking for a ordinary 36" TV then look for a Panasonic TX-36PL35D. Or a Panasonic TX-36PD30 (its over your budget here but might not be where you live).

I am dumb. Of course those TV’s are not avalible over there. They’re PAL… :slight_smile:

i guess i am really stupid but is the sony wega -DRC tv considered an HDTV

Welcome to the forum mate :cool:

If a sony TV has DRC, then the TV itself is likely a HDTV television. The DRC itself is actually a postprocess used on a standard definition picture to upscale it to the TV’s higher native resolution. However, unlike regular interpolating techniques, Sony’s technology has better guess work at recreating the textures of what the original image should look like if it were captured in HDTV.

This press release goes more into details with a few diagrams of how Sony’s DRC technology works on a standard definition interlaced picture along with its recent DRC-MFv2 technology for improving the picture on a HDTV image. :wink:

I heard Samsung DLP TVs are popular in the US market. Over 50% market share, they told me. I thought it was more like 5%.

All flat panel TVs I saw at Samsung looked better than my LG CRT 29-inch HDTV, not just in size and features, but also in image quality. I knew it was outdated but didn’t know it was that outdated.

For a $1000 and a 36in requirement yuo’re not going to get an HDTV. I would suggest a Sony Wega, 2nd choices might be a Panasonic or Toshiba.