I would like to know if it is possible to burn 8x media at 16x on the 712A

vbimport

Is there something like an OmniPatcher for the 712A?
Thanks in advance…

The 712A is not capable to burn more than 12x.

It can burn @12.08x tho. :slight_smile:

Oh …My bad I thought it could do 16x. Never knew since I always burned at 8x.
How do I burn an 8x disc at 12x?

Thanks.

You need to find a compatible 8x media for that. Check here: http://www.plextor.com/english/support/media_712.htm#dvdread

Most recommended 8x media (Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim/MCC, RICOHJPN, Maxell) can be burn @12x.

Thank you.
Taiyo Yuden is listed to run up to 12x.

Will I need to get 16x TY media to run that on the 712A at 12x or would it give me the 12x option with just 8x media?

Thanks again.

Yes, Taiyo Yuden (YUDEN000T02) 8x DVD+R and TYG02 8x DVD-R can be burn @12x. :slight_smile: You might want to consider updating your firmware to the lastest, 1.07.

Thank you VERY much!

:cop: Hold it right there! :cop:

The 712a can burn up to 12x on +R but only up to 8x on -R!

While the Sanyo chip in the 712a is generally capable of doing 12x (+ and -) Plextor never implemented 12x -R. To my knowledge there has never been a patch or crack to change this.

Oops, you’re right hwp. I mixed up with my other burners. Thanks for checking. Sorry for the misinfo orionstar.

The PX-712A will burn some 8x DVD+R media at 12x as has been mentioned by Zevia, this does not necessarily mean that the results are as good as when burning 16x certified media at 12x however. It also doesn’t mean that the burn quality is necessarily as good when burning at 12x as when burning at the certified 8x speed.

I have had both good and bad 12x burns with 8x media on my PX-712A, such as Verbatim DataLifePlus 8x DVD+R (MCC 003) and Fujifilm 8x DVD+R Made in Japan (YUDEN000 T02), but burns on Verbatim DataLifePlus 16x DVD+R (MCC 004) have been the best so far when burning at 12x.

In the places I buy my blank media the price difference between 8x and 16x media has almost evaporated, so there’s little to gain in buying 8x media these days.

Oh, and one last point: Even though the PX-712A can only burn at 12x it does so using P-CAV which makes it burn media in a shorter time at 12x than some other 16x burners do at 16x using Z-CLV, and faster than most other burners at 12x.

Thanks to all! :slight_smile:
Thankfully I prefer and use +R Media.

So DrageMester, in sum you suggest I use 16x media to burn at 12x on the Plextor?
BTW, which 16x media do you think is best? TY?

Thanks again everyone.

There’s no TY03 yet, so you’re stuck with non-TY for +R. MCC004 (Verbatim) is very good, and in my opinion the quality is equal to TY. Also I’ve tried RicohjpnR03 and it’s good.

I have actually only tried one brand of 16x DVD+R: Verbatim DataLifePlus 16x DVD+R (Media code: MCC 004). I think that the “DataLifePlus” name is no longer used in the North American market for DVDs, but that’s what it’s called here in Europe.

The Verbatim 16x media varies in quality, but so do other media including Taiyo Yuden - the exception being media that is consistenly awful of course. :wink:

The best burns I’ve had with the Verbatim 16x media at 12x rival the quality of any other media at any other speed including Taiyo Yuden 8x media (Fuji branded) burned at 6x (which is optimal in my burner). The worst burns I’ve had with the Verbatim 16x at 12x in my PX-712A are still OK, while the worst burns I’ve had with Taiyo Yuden 8x media at 12x were in fact unreadable in two other drives.

So in my experience I would recommend the Verbatim 16x media for 12x burning in the Plextor PX-712A.

Thanks to both again. :slight_smile: