I wonder if this is a lite-on rebagdge

i have this drive “BENQ CDRW 5232X” and ever thing about it saying it’s a lite-on rabadge: the firmware name the drive build

but none of the flash utilities i have read it

can any one confirm what lite-on drive is it if it is really a rebadge

Optical Drive Properties
Device Description BENQ CDRW 5232X USB Device
Firmware Revision KPEY
Buffer Size 2 MB
Manufacturer BenQ
Device Type CD-RW
Interface ATAPI

Writing Speeds
CD-R 52x
CD-RW 32x

Reading Speeds
CD-ROM 52x

Supported Disk Types
BD-ROM Not Supported
BD-R Not Supported
BD-RE Not Supported
HD DVD-ROM Not Supported
HD DVD-R Not Supported
HD DVD-RW Not Supported
DVD-ROM Not Supported
DVD+R9 Dual Layer Not Supported
DVD+R Not Supported
DVD+RW Not Supported
DVD-R9 Dual Layer Not Supported
DVD-R Not Supported
DVD-RW Not Supported
DVD-RAM Not Supported
CD-ROM Read
CD-R Read + Write
CD-RW Read + Write

Optical Drive Features
Buffer Underrun Protection Supported
C2 Error Pointers Supported
CD+G Not Supported
CD-Text Supported
Hybrid Disc Not Supported
JustLink Supported
LabelFlash Not Supported
Layer-Jump Recording Not Supported
LightScribe Not Supported
Mount Rainier Supported
SMART Supported
CSS Not Supported
CPRM Not Supported
AACS Not Supported
VCPS Not Supported
BD CPS Not Supported

Hmm, what a coincidence. I was going to buy this drive, but someone beat me. :sad: Anyway, I believe that this is a true BenQ drive, but it does not use a Nexperia chipset, it uses an Ali chipset. (IIRC)

Have you opened it? It does look something like this? I found this thread that says that the Plextor PX-230A is a rebadged BENQ CDRW 5232X.

Definitely it’s not a Lite On.

i opened it and the chipset is ALI as u said and the plex is a definite clone

i don’t know why i have the idea that was a lite on clone while it really look like the DW1640

and the side have the benq design air pass way

it’s a very good drive
blazing fast and nice quality for CD-R & RW
it misses the most important thing i got it for
the advanced disk quality test (using Nero CD speed)
it even don’t report the c1 errors only c2

You have to buy a BenQ DVD burner to do quality testing. The CD drives are nothing special.

For Plextor CD drives, only the models that start with PX-W are genuine Plextors.

You have to buy a BenQ DVD burner to do quality testing. The CD drives are nothing special.

For Plextor CD drives, only the models that start with PX-W are genuine Plextors

i know that but i wanted to get a CD-RW drive dedicated for CD scanning only

any way

i want a tool to dump the firmware
and may be a tool to cross flash the drive to Plextor PX-230A to see if there is any diffrence

You can use it for ripping. Looking for some information, it is said that this drive is one of the best rippers even better than the Plextor Premium. (That was the main reason why I wanted to buy the drive)

By the way, it behaves like normal BenQ DVD Writers? The LED always on while a CD is inserted? Red LED while writing?

By the way, it behaves like normal BenQ DVD Writers?

well yes and no

The LED always on while a CD is inserted?

Yes

Red LED while writing?

No only a different flashing pattern

back to my question

i want a tool to dump the firmware
and may be a tool to cross flash the drive to Plextor PX-230A to see if there is any diffrence

IIRC both the Benq 5232X & Plextor PX-230a firmware updates available on their web sites contain separate files for the flasher and firmware binary.

IIRC both the Benq 5232X & Plextor PX-230a firmware updates available on their web sites contain separate files for the flasher and firmware binary.

i got the binary for the plex yes
but the benq bin firmware is encrypted in the EXE flasher

is there is any third party flasher i can use ?

I was looking for Benq 5232X firmware a couple of weeks ago and I found a zip file (self extracting I think) which contained 3 files like the Plextor firmware. The firmware file had a CVT extension but was probably just a plain binary like the Plextor.

But you are absolutely right, the firmware from Benq’s web site is a self contained EXE file. Sorry, my memory is not as good as it used to be (:sad:), it must have come from a non-Benq web site. I will try and find it again.

I don’t think that there is a tool available to copy the firmware off Benq DVD writers. A while ago someone was wanting to backup the firmware on a rebadged Benq DVD writer before crossflashing it.

May I suggest asking a moderator to move this thread to the Benq forum (and possibly change the title) as it is more likely to be noticed by the Benq experts there.

I was looking for Benq 5232X firmware a couple of weeks ago and I found a zip file (self extracting I think) which contained 3 files like the Plextor firmware. The firmware file had a CVT extension but was probably just a plain binary like the Plextor.

yes u are right abut that
i got the flasher and a confirmation ini file and a cvt file (bin in disguise)

But you are absolutely right, the firmware from Benq’s web site is a self contained EXE file. Sorry, my memory is not as good as it used to be (), it must have come from a non-Benq web site. I will try and find it again.

never mind forgetting stuff we all slip

I don’t think that there is a tool available to copy the firmware off Benq DVD writers. A while ago someone was wanting to backup the firmware on a rebadged Benq DVD writer before crossflashing it.

well that’s not very good to know
lite-on’s are very good in this field
u want to do it u will find a tool for it
i guess other brands have less attention

May I suggest asking a moderator to move this thread to the Benq forum (and possibly change the title) as it is more likely to be noticed by the Benq experts there.

well i guess u are right about that too

plz CK move this thread to the BenQ forum so we can may be talk more about this