I won a Samsung Galaxy S5

vbimport

A few weeks ago (I don’t remember exactly when) I made a purchase from an online store, and at the end of the purchase I was offered a chance to win one of three prizes by entering a competition, so I entered the competition.

I don’t usually have any luck in this type of competition, so thought no more about it.
On Friday, I received an email that I had won a Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone, along with a pre-paid (2 years) plan.
The plan gives me 500 minutes talk time, unlimited texts, and 1GB of 4G data, all on the o2 network.

The phone arrived today, and I have it setup, waiting on my number being ported over from my old phone.

First impressions.
I thought with it having a 5.1 inch screen it would be to large, but no.
The screen itself is stunning, and the phone is fast.

Now I only have to clean out the apps I will never use.

Anyone else got an S5, or considering buying one?

Congratulations. Good to hear. :slight_smile:

For those of us behind the times, this is what it looks like: http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5

Congratulations on your new phone!

BTW can you phone anyone in the galaxy with that phone? :smiley:

Sounds like a quite nice phone. The Galaxy S line is one of the flagship lines from manufacturers that gets released earlier in the year, and as part of that group it’s pretty competitive. I’ve seen one in person only once, but from that one eencounter I gahtered the opinion that the design was pretty clean, if a bit average. Almost makes you forget about the good internal specs. I’ve got my HTC One M8, which was another member of that early release flagship group with similar specs, and I dig it, so I bet you’ll enjoy the Galaxy S5 just as much. :slight_smile:

Congrats!

[QUOTE=Dee;2741262]First impressions.
I thought with it having a 5.1 inch screen it would be to large, but no.
[/QUOTE]

I got a G3 (5.5" screen) a few months ago and thought it might be cumbersome. I don’t find it all that difficult to use the phone and it fits in my pants pocket just fine. Overall, I find that having the larger screen is well worth any of the hassles associated with it.

Hi :slight_smile:
Excellent news for you Dee. :cool:
Clearing apps…
That’s why I went with the Nexus 5.

Can you get 4G?
If so post your speed.
How does it compare to mine I wonder.

Both 02 & Vodafone claim to be faster than EE.

Congrats. A very nice thing to win!

I upgraded from a Galaxy S3 to a Galaxy S5 within the last 2 months. I honestly barely notice the increased size. I use a glass screen protector and a thin but protective Urban Armor Gear case. Fits in a front or back pocket easily. I don’t ever sit with a phone in my pocket even if it fits. Too much of a danger.

I loved my S3 but the S5 is lightyears better. I’ve found that battery life is better, as well. The bump in screen resolution is wonderful. Best of all is that in some locations I now get 4G LTE where the S3 used to give me 3G or less even though 4G LTE was most definitely available. No changes were made on my provider’s end. The difference is the phone itself.

My S3 had a nice life but it was time for an upgrade and I have no regrets even though I went from 32 GB internal memory to 16 GB. IMHO, no intended to be high-end cellphone should come with anything less than 64 GB.

Awww… good to hear that congratz and I am sure now you must be planning to through your other device ?? Better option would be giving it to me :smiley:

Best of luck cleaning out apps you don’t use.
I’ve got an S4, and all the original apps can only be removed if the phone is first rooted, not an option for me.

Congratulations and even better that it includes a prepaid plan. :iagree:

So far everyone I’ve heard that has a Samsung S3 or S4 phone has been very happy with them.

As for winning competitions, I haven’t had any luck over the past few years unlike my older brother. He recently won a Nokia Lumia 820 (Windows based) and thought it was a scam at first as he didn’t remember entering a competition for one. It turned out that Navteq the maps provider for Satnavs ran a competition for those who sent in road corrections/updates and my brother sent in road changes that were missing on his Garmin (Navteq based) and was completely unaware of the competition.

If you plan doing 4G speed tests, I would suggest doing them very sparingly as the data consumption per test is proportional to the speed. When I did speed tests at Dublin airport earlier in the year, I burned through roughly 100MB per test! That was with a test result of about 20Mb both up & down.

I personally find my phone (OnePlus) a bit cumbersome in some trouser pockets particularly when sitting down. The Nexus 6 would indeed have been too big and I would have preferred if my current one was about 1cm shorter in length, which the S5 is.

I don’t have much time at the moment. But I’m growing to like the Samsung S5.
I have already sold my Nexus 4.

Here is just a quick speed test.

Superb news Dee and congratulations!

You certainly picked the right competition to win. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Congrats Dee! My only drawback with the Samsung Galaxy devices is Touchwiz, but my girlfriend has a S4 and you get used to it very quickly :wink:

It’s an incredible device and the 2 year plan is also excellent!

Congratulations! A worthy winner. :flower:

(It’s reassuring to know that some of these competitions are actually real.)

A Galaxy S5 wouldn’t be of much use round here, especially with an O2 contract. No chance of 4G, 3G coverage is still ‘theoretical’ (existing only on the marketing department’s map) and not even 1G coverage from O2. Not sure what happened to the latter, a decade ago we were on O2 and had a very stong signal.

So for me the ‘killer feature’ is still long battery life.

I didn’t actually win the first prize.
First prize was an iPhone 6 with unlimited minutes, unlimited text, and 2GB of data.
Second prize was the Samsung S5. :slight_smile:
Third prize was a pair of Bluetooth speakers.

I carry the phone in my bag, so I’ve got a nice leather flip case.
I’ve pretty much got used to the TouchWiz interface already, and it has some very nice features.
The sms app is light years ahead of the standard Nexus sms app, although I was using a third party solution for that anyway.

Now, I loved the screen on the Nexus 4, and I believe the screen on the Nexus 5 is even better, but, the Super AMOLED screen on the Samsung S5 just takes your breath away. It’s fantastic.

I have also noticed that battery life is excellent.
As already mentioned, removing the apps I don’t want seems impossible, but that isn’t a big issue as I simply wont use them.

Network coverage here is pretty good, with the exception of Vodafone, but only o2 has 4G here, which I didn’t know until I got the S5.

@Sean, you were correct about the ‘speedtest’ eating data. It used around 110MB to run the test. :eek:

The next thing I want to do is add a SD Card. The S5 can take up to a 128GB SD card. I think a 64GB card will be more than enough.
Can anyone suggest a good SD Card for my S5?

Congrats Dee! Have you tried the heart rate monitor?

Indeed a very nice win Wendy. The phone is the lesser prize, the prepaid 2 year plan is the big prize, wow you are a lucky gal. Congrats.

Actually I started using the fitness app today just to try it out.
Now, at work I’m kept very active.
According to the app, I walked or ran 4.8 miles, took over 6000 steps, and the average heart rate for the day was 74BPM.
No idea at all if this is accurate or not.

[QUOTE=Dee;2741353]I didn’t actually win the first prize.
First prize was an iPhone 6 with unlimited minutes, unlimited text, and 2GB of data.
Second prize was the Samsung S5. :slight_smile:
Third prize was a pair of Bluetooth speakers.

I carry the phone in my bag, so I’ve got a nice leather flip case.
I’ve pretty much got used to the TouchWiz interface already, and it has some very nice features.
The sms app is light years ahead of the standard Nexus sms app, although I was using a third party solution for that anyway.

Now, I loved the screen on the Nexus 4, and I believe the screen on the Nexus 5 is even better, but, the Super AMOLED screen on the Samsung S5 just takes your breath away. It’s fantastic.

I have also noticed that battery life is excellent.
As already mentioned, removing the apps I don’t want seems impossible, but that isn’t a big issue as I simply wont use them.

Network coverage here is pretty good, with the exception of Vodafone, but only o2 has 4G here, which I didn’t know until I got the S5.

@Sean, you were correct about the ‘speedtest’ eating data. It used around 110MB to run the test. :eek:

The next thing I want to do is add a SD Card. The S5 can take up to a 128GB SD card. I think a 64GB card will be more than enough.
[B]Can anyone suggest a good SD Card for my S5[/B]?[/QUOTE]

Samsung makes a 64 gb card just for that phone, http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Class-Adapter-MB-MG64DA-AM/dp/B00IVPU88U/ref=pd_cp_pc_1     Read some of the reviews on this card.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2741357]Samsung makes a 64 gb card just for that phone, http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Class-Adapter-MB-MG64DA-AM/dp/B00IVPU88U/ref=pd_cp_pc_1 Read some of the reviews on this card.[/QUOTE]I was hoping to find something a little cheaper than that. But I’ll keep an eye on that card. Thanks. :flower: