I was ready to give up on my 3500AG

…and then I found this forum.

I was getting nothing but coasters. I thought I had tried everything: different media, different versions of Nero, different software, different speeds. I even (thought I had) made sure I had the latest firmware.

Then I noticed that people were discussing a newer firmware version than what I had. I flashed to 2.18 and now everything works! Thanks a lot for providing this service, moderators. I’ll definitely be checking back in for updates.

Looks like I spoke too soon. I was able to record one CD-R, but now I’m having the same problem. Nero spins up the disc, then promptly fails with “invalid block address”. I’ve read through the faq here, and the only problem I can see is that I’m using Nvidia’s 45.23 Detonator drivers. Could video drivers really cause this problem?

faqs are about IDE drivers i believe

Yeah, definitely try to uninstall nVidia’s IDE driver only, while leave the rest intact. Reboot and use the M$ IDE driver instead. I have no problems running two 16x burners as well as a 16x DVD-ROM on the nForce2 Ultra 400 motherboard.

Oh! Guess it didn’t help to skim the FAQ. Yeah, I’ve got the IDE drivers installed. I’ll try without…

Looks like that was it. I didn’t think about the fact that I had nVidia’s IDE drivers because they’ve never given me a problem before. Thanks for the help, even though you could have just said RTFFAQ.