I want to overclock

Hi ı have Nec Nd 2500A.But i want to overclock with 2510.Which firmware need this operation?And Where is find the firmware? Thank you.

www.herrie.org is a cool place to start.

:wink:

Is it just me or does using the term “overclock” for a firmware upgrade that has nothing to do with a clock at all grate on the ears? ^^;

Well, from a technical point of view, you would be right there.

The term overclocking stems from the act of taking the frequency of a CPU and its associated multipiers and changing the core clock speed.

Here, we are not changing the “core clock” per se, but changing the capabilities of the hardware to perform different tasks.

Correction: we don’t change the capabilities of HW! HW already can do what we want. We just change capabilities of FW to get as much as HW can give us.

Agreed.

Hardware modding it is, but now it sounds like someone flicking paint at their drive.

What term can we use? :eek:

Maximal Hardware tweaking?
Drive unlimiting?

Unofficial optimization :bigsmile:

Well let me throw in a question that I’ve had, but can’t find the answer to. Let’s say that we use the pulsing of the laser as the “clock”. As I understnd it, when writing in CLV at a certain speed (say 4x), the pulses remain constant, and the drive spins at faster rpm when writing toward the center of the disc and slows down when writing near the outer edge to maintain the same linear velocity. But, when writing at a faster speed (say 8x), wouldn’t the pulses have to come faster as well as having a higher rpm? If this is so, and we call the pulse the “clock”, then it’s in a sense overclocking. Anyway, embeded above is my question. Does the laser pulse actually increase while writing CLV at a higher speeds?

Yes, it does. But the 2500A to 2510A is hardly an “overclock” in that respect as both of them support 8x ZCLV writing. The difference is in DL, and at 2.4x speeds, that isn’t exactly an “overclock” in those terms. :wink:

Think of “overclocking” in a broader sense of getting the hardware to do everything that it is capable of doing. For CPUs, if a chip is capable of being run at a faster speed, then that literal overclock is getting the hardware to do what it can. Here, the drive is physically capable of writing DL, and the overclock performed by overwriting the firmware allows the hardware to perform things that it is physically capable of.

Well, according to the stats at SVP, the CD-R write speed goes up from 32x to 40x… so at least that’s faster.

I like the term drive unlimited. Imagine rolling up to a forum with ur kitted out box and sayin ‘Yeah, that drive’s been unlimited ya know’. :smiley: