I want a new laptop hard drive

vbimport

Kind Members,

I would like to increase the size of my laptop’s hard drive.

Here is my system information.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Model Satellite P35 S611

System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~3333 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date TOSHIBA V1.30, 10/4/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.31
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 257.32 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.46 GB

Currently I have a 100GB, 2.5 Toshiba Hard drive.

I recently put in two (2) 1GB chips.

I would like to increase my hard drive, to a point which my BIOS can handle it…in other words, I want to get a new hard drive for the best “Bang” for my Buck, as they say.

I understand, that I have to get an IDE hard drive.

My use for this memory…music downloading.

Thanks, so very much, for ALL of your comments and advice.

Yours, Mike

Hi,[quote=mikenycc;2126302]
I would like to increase the size of my laptop’s hard drive.

Here is my system information.
System Model Satellite P35 S611
BIOS Version/Date TOSHIBA V1.30, 10/4/2004[/quote]There is a newer Bios available on toshiba.com support website.

Currently I have a 100GB, 2.5 Toshiba Hard drive.
(…)
I would like to increase my hard drive, to a point which my BIOS can handle it…in other words, I want to get a new hard drive for the best “Bang” for my Buck, as they say.
some computers have a limitation at 137 GB. I’d recommend to ask Toshiba support for the largest HDD size that is supported by your notebook hardware.

My use for this memory…music downloading.
Why not an external HDD connected via USB? Size limits as with older IDE controllers do not apply, so you could hook a 1000 GB HDD to your computer, if you like.

Michael

Yep mciahel gave you some good advice you should contact Toshiba support and see how big of a hdd
you laptop’s bios supports or do like suggested and get a USB external hdd. Here is what I could find in
2.5 inch internal laptop IDE hdd’s on newegg.com they range in size from 80GB to 250GB. :slight_smile:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150380+1035907889&Configurator=&Subcategory=380&description=&Ntk=&SpeTabStoreType=&Order=BESTMATCH&srchInDesc=

I know that I should call Toshiba Support, but my experience with them about this, is that I get conflicting info about this, EVERY TIME I call them up.

It has gone from them telling me that I can’t upgrade my hard drive AT ALL…that 100GB is ALL I’m going to have, to some from that place, telling me “whatever”, ALL over several different calls to them.

The only info, with a grain of salt, I can believe, is what their spare part vendor told me, that I can ONLY replace it with an IDE hard drive, and I can replace with ANY amount of GB I want to.

It’s silly, but it only compounds my confusion.

This is why I’m asking for information here about this.

And thank you ALL for it !

Yours,

Mike

Hi,

a 120 GB HDD should work without problems. With a larger HDD you might run into the 48 bit LBA problem, depending on the chipset of your mainboard, Bios version and Windows version (it is recommended to use a Windows install CD with latest Service Pack integrated).
You should have a look here: http://www.48bitlba.com/ for further information, also search MS Knowledge Base for “48 bit LBA”.

Michael

Buy the BIGGEST Hard Drive you can afford EXTERNAL n plug it in via USB…That way you can put as Much Music/Movies etc., on it without Useing up space on the OS hdd…Makes Sence n it’s what EVERYONE does SEncibly…