I want a New Desktop PC , i need help on what to get

Below are my current PC specs, i am looking at getting a new Desktop PC as this one is about 7 years old. I do a lot of video encoding mainly 1080p stuff and lately trying to do a little 4k stuff, but certain programs seem to struggle a bit, while others programs handle it ok, and also when i want to do 4k encoding or editing the PC struggles to even load the 4k stuff into the programs i use, and once they do load the 4k movie then things become real laggy and i have to wait 5, 10 or 20 minutes just to press play or open and editing screen for filters etc…

Also previously i was able to run multiple things on this PC without any lag or long waiting times, everything used to start instantly , but in the last 1 - 2 years for example if i am encoding a video and i want to open Firefox browser or outlook 2007 for my emails , it can take several minutes to open. depending on what editing programs i am using at that time. even sometimes without doing editing having multiple programs open can take a very long time to open.

so i am getting a bit frustrated and need help on maybe getting a new custom PC built from a local store, but i would like to ask if anyone here can suggest what would work real good for me, the stores have there own custom PC’s already built but , there might be stuff in there i dont need, or there might be something it hasn’t got that i do need.

i dont do any gaming. Just internet browsing and a lot of encoding or editing.

i want things to run smooth and be able to handle 1080p & 4k editing, while not choking my PC if i want to open basic other stuff like firefox or outlook ( what ever version there upto ) or any other small program.

My current PC has an i7, i was told by a computer store guy that the current i5 would be faster than my current i7, ( I dont know if this is true or not) so thats why i would like a few people to reply & give me what they would think a fast PC would consist of so i can make a decision.

Looking at spending around $2000 , maybe upto $2500, but preferably closer to the $2000 mark. ( Australian Dollars )

Below are my specs, if you need to know anything else please let me know.

Windows 7
Professional 64-bit SP1

CPU -
Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.40GHz
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology

RAM -
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 802MHz

Motherboard -
ASUS P8Z68-M PRO

Graphics -
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (ASUStek)
Acer VG270 (1920x1080@75Hz) Monitor ( Brand New Monitor i just purchased, I will be keeping this )

HDD -
1TB ATA WDC WD1003FZEX-0 ( 1 TB is plenty for me )

CD/DVD drive Burner -
HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CH12LS28 SCSI CdRom ( Rarely use it , but good to have )

Audio -
Realtek High Definition Audio

SSD with fresh Windows install will give you new lease of life to your system. Extra 8 GB of ram also would be very beneficial. Just for editing 1080p videos I wouldn’t buy a new system - it has decent raw power and Intel QSV for hardware level encoding h264.

PC for 4k and HEVC encoding is completely different story and I will let someone else answer that question.

For serious video editing I could break your budget with just a CPU and graphics card. An 10th gen Intel i5 CPU is faster than you have, but for serious video editing you would want a CPU with at least 8 cores, and something like an nVidia RTX 2060 Super graphics card, as a minimum.

You didn’t mention the video editing and encoding software you were using.
FACT: Regardless if you bought a 16 or 32 core CPU and all the encoding having to be done on the CPU itself. It will grab all the CPU bandwidth you have, and you would still struggle to multitask.

The trick is to have software that can offload the video encoding and rendering tasks to the graphics card. You have an GTX1050Ti which supports NVENC hardware encoding on the graphics card, so frees up CPU resources, if you can find a video editor application that supports it. (example Davinci Resolve Studio).

So, for the moment I would go with what nixa_mk suggests above.
if you are confident enough to fit DRAM and an SSD yourself, and you’re interested, let me know here and I’ll put together a sensible parts list.

1 Like

hi m8, i thought about an ssd but most info i read on them says they dont last long. but i know you cant always trust what you read, i was looking at sticking to a normal 1tb Hdd. and ive been hesitant on refreshing windows install, as my pc is very clean and always has been, maybe over the years it is building up with small amounts of junk that i am unaware of and this may be the cause. i though about getting windows 10 but i hate the look of it, and i know that classic shell can change most of it to look like my win 7, but i would like to be able to see the look of it and its layout , menus , etc… before i commit to it. i will list the programs i use below in Dee’s reply.

hi Dee, i think we spoke before on this issue i am having, and thats why i bought the GTX1050Ti , after installing it, i didnt see any difference at all in anything with the prgrams i use.

i use Handbrake for most 1080p encoding, and this has always worked well, when i say encoding 4k , i mean i might convert a 4k down to 1080p and it takes 3 - 6 days, so i will not be doing that due to the massive amount of time, i dont know if that amount of time is normal for a 4k re-encode to 1080p.

the other 2 programs i use are
TMPGEnc Smart Renderer 5 - this works very well, but when adding a 1080p or 4k video into it has a massive amount of delay and is struggling to display the video sometimes for 10 -20 minutes or in pressing play to view the video or scrolling through the frames to edit something out it always delays for large amounts of time or then hangs. this happens on both the TMPGEnc programs i have
TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 6 & TMPGEnc Smart Render 5. i was not only wanting a new PC for the video editing or encoding but just in general due to most other things struggling when more than 1 or 2 things are running. Eg, firefox and outlook and encoding something. or without any encoding happening just opening several small things this can happen as well. if i got firefox running and open outlook, then want to open a PDF file in adobe acrabat can cause huge delays where previously i could open over a dozen things and encode a video, all with ease.

i did download davince relove from last time we spoke, but have yet to install it due to the issues i am having, maybe it is junk built up over time causing this. i dont know.

how can i know if those 2 TMPGEnc programs i use , use the GPU or not ? and if i was to look for a setting in those programs do u know what type of wording i would be looking for, as maybe there is an option that i can change.

Hello again DJmoonwalker
I do remember the previous discussion. It’s a while ago.

It’s very late here, so I don’t have time to reply if full.
Handbrake does support GPU accelerated encoding, but you have to select the feature when encoding. I’ll get you info tomorrow.

In the mean time. Please do consider an SSD, they can access data 100 times faster than an HDD. I would certainly never even attempt to edit HD video on an HDD.

Regarding SSD reliability.
I have SSD’s I obtained in 2008 still going strong. I’ve had over 30 of them, and I’ve had two fail. When they do fail it tends to be suddenly and without warning.
But, an HDD controller PCB can also fail without warning.

Regarding a new PC. Could you build one yourself? Would you be confident enough to take on such a project?

The thing is. I could recommend components for you to request to be added to custom PC built by a computer store. But the price would be way off what they would charge you for actually building the PC.

Have a hard think about adding an SSD and more DRAM to what you have.
You could add the SSD rather than replace HDD. That way you don’t lose anything from your HDD.
You could do a clean install of Windows on the SSD, and see how it goes. You wouldn’t lose the SSD either if you decided you really did need a new PC. You could add the SSD to your new PC.
DRAM would be different matter, as DDR3 is no longer used on new motherboards.

Have you thought about a pre-built system?
This would be the sort of spec I would recommend, but adjust to your own tastes. And at $1840, there little chance that a PC store could build a custom one of similar spec for that price.

CPU versus NVidia GPU NVENC encoding times.
What you have to keep in mind is, my CPU and GPU are much more powerful than the ones in your system.
Intel i9 9900KF clocked at 5GHz, and NVidia RTX 2060 Super GPU.

The same 5 minute 10 seconds 1080P video was used for all tests.

HandBrake

Note the frame rate. That’s how to measure the speed.
Handbrake version 1.33 or later is required for NVidia NVENC support

You select NVidia NVENC encoding from the video tab via the drop down menu.

Native CPU encoding.

H264 NVidia NVENC encoding

H265 NVidia NVENC encoding

Davinci Resolve Studio 16.2 render and encode

Davinci Resolve Studio render and encode/decode engine is a monster.
Time in seconds to render and encode the video.

Native H264 CPU encode

resolve cpu

H264 NVidia NVENC encoding

edit nvid 264
resolve nvid 264

H265 NVidia NVENC encoding

resolve nvid 265

For 1080p I still can happily edit in PPro on my i7-3770K (same gen as your 2600 I believe). I do overclock mine to 4.4/4.5 Ghz and have added an extra 16GB of ram. OS (win7) is on SSD and use a 1050 video card.

So +ram up to 32GB, upgrade to 3770K and overclock should put put you in a happy spot.

NOTE that for 4K my system just couldn’t take it (especially when I had to do noise reduction and image stabilization). So I built a new AMD Ryzen 3900x with 64GB. The Ryzen 3600x is in a great sweet spot for perf/price.

ok thanks tibor for that info. ill have to think what to do. but most likely i new PC might be a better choice , as mine is now 7 - 8 years old. at the moment i have intel inside, will having a rysen affect any programs i have to install, will it cause any conflicts, or this has nothing to do with programs installed ??

Hi Dee,

sorry for my late reply, i have been getting bad head aches, so will only be on Pc when i feel decent. So no rush in your replies ( Just do it when you have time.)

yes i see in the above images that the speeds are faster which is real good.

i am not confident in building a machine myself although it does look easy , but there will be issues i may run into which i dont want the hassle of dealing with , so i would most probably get the store to build it.
Deciding on a SSD or HDD is something ill also have to think about. knowing that the SSD is far faster, this maybe the the best option for me and what i will ask you to add to your list of parts.

if i can get you to put together a parts list for me with a 250gb or 500gb SSD due to the SSD drives being quite expensive. ( which brand has done you well ? not failed you so far ) i may put a normal 1 TB HDD in that same PC to store stuff on after encoding. And the rest of the stuff i need ill leave upto you, in tibor’s reply above i asked if rysen would cause any conflicts with installing the same programs i currently have, or having rysen chip has nothing to do with what you install? do you think rysen will be better than Intel.

please ask me any questions you need to know in order to do me a parts list.

• Most of my programs are 64bit as i am currently using win7 64bit pro.
  • i will need to go to win 10 on this new machine.
  • i will need Some USB 3 Ports in Back of PC, ( maybe they come standard now )

I have Also been using a program called Staxrip to do a lot of encoding which uses filters for noise etc…, which add a considerable amount of hours to the encode. When using Staxrip , Task manager displays my current (CPU Usage Graph ) at about 90% and GPU at 4gb - 6gb ( memory graph)

As I wrote already, I have the same generation machine as you, 1155 socket. See https://www.cpu-world.com/benchmarks/socket_1155_multi.html for benchmarks. Depending on which 2600 you have, a 3770K will give you a slight bump.

The beauty of updating to something like a Ryzen or any other current generation processor is that all programs will still work … provided they are supported by Windows 10 as you won’t be able to find Win 7 drivers for current gen motherboards.

and with your new rysen pc , u can do 4k quite easily ?

Are you able to throw me a list of what your new PC consists of at all ?

and maybe what it cost if thats not to personal in Aus dollars if possible., so i can compare when Dee when He/She gives me a list. just so i can get familiar with the newer stuff involved in it and make a better decision.

With the newer PC’s are you still able to add a CD/DVD burner drive.

Thanks.

The ryzen machine was built specifically for 4K editing and yes, it rips but ya got to tweak it of course to get max performance from it. I sprung for the Ryzen 3900x (12 core). I am using PPro 2020 along with After Effects and Audition. For scrubbing the timeline, editing and image stabilizing, you can get by with a Ryzen 3600x (6 core) as it’s not very mult-threaded. My noise reduction plugin can be set to use an Nvidia GPU which is faster than multi-threading it to the 3900x.
Now for encoding, highest quality will be with x264 (or x265). This where the 3900x does deliver at 2x the speed (1/2 the encoding time) of the 3600x.
Parts list I used:
Ryzen 9 3900x
MSI X570-A PRO Motherboard
DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) 2 * 2*16 GB = 64GB
M.2 SSD 250GB
(lots of spinning HD space ~ 6 TB)
MSI 1050 video card (ebay)

Total cost is roughly $1000.

Getting the 3600x saves you $200, getting 32GB vs 64 saves you $120.

this is the place i will buy it all from dcomp.com.au once i work out what is good for my needs. was yours $1000 us or Aus , and is it that cheap due to you building it yourself ?

And heres some of the ready made packages they have https://dcomp.com.au/productlist/cat/cat1/COMPUTER%20SYSTEM,%20PACKAGE

The price that tibor gave I’m pretty sure is US $ and doesn’t include a case or PSU, and is self build.

Without doubt, and nearly within your upper budget. This is what I would choose.

https://dcomp.com.au/productdetail/2669

If you can’t quite stretch your budget to the above. Then this would be my second choice.

https://dcomp.com.au/productdetail/2675

In both cases you would have to add an HDD for storage, unless you want to add your present HDD to the new build.
You would also have to add an external USB optical drive, or again add one of your existing drives to an USB3 external enclosure, as none of these PC cases support optical drives. Alternatively. Build a custom system around a case such as the following.
https://dcomp.com.au/productdetail/1951

Also. If you require BitLocker encryption support, you will have to exchange Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro.

Or you can use some or all of the listed parts to make a custom build.
One thing I would NOT do without in any build is an SSD. If you go HDD as the system drive your wasting a lot of money, and leaving a load of performance on the table.

Your AU prices are a lot higher than what I can get here in the US, at least 20% higher (when converted) $1000 US. Good luck shopping around. Wonder if you can order from US site (like Amazon). If you get all big $$ items shipped together, international shipping may not be too bad.

Hi Dee.
i took a look at the intel core i7 one you recommended - https://dcomp.com.au/productdetail/2669 and while there i also saw this one below that was the same Level.
https://dcomp.com.au/productdetail/2676 .
So do you think the Intel will be better than AMD rysen machine?

Also whats this
Thermaltake TH120 120mm ARGB
Thermaltake View 31 ARGB
Is there water in there or something to cool ?

And what were you referring to when you spoke about BitLocker encryption support i know nothing about this.

And it looks like an SSD is the way to go. And ill add a separate 1 TB HDD.

To be honest. I never noticed the AMD system.

CPU
The Intel system has an 8 core CPU with no hyper threading. The AMD CPU has 6 cores with hyper threading. I would imagine they are very close when it comes to performance.
I don’t do the Intel or AMD is best nonsense, When your talking about CPU’s with this amount of power, I defy anyone to tell them apart in terms of performance in the real world.

Comparing the rest of the components.

SSD
They both have the same SSD… A very fast Samsung NVMe 970 EVO Plus 500GB. I have 3 of these drives. They are indeed very fast, and reliable (for me). Being M.2 form factor they are mounted on the motherboard and leave all the SATA ports free.

Graphics card
They both have the same graphics card, an GigaByte Nvidia RTX 2060 Super with 8GB of GDDR6 RAM, and a 256 bit data bus. Again very powerful, and should be great for your needs now, and for the foreseeable future.
Trust me. These cards are a huge step up from your 1050Ti. However, for video editing and encoding. You will need software that can tap all that GPU performance.

Power Supply
They both have the same PSU. A good quality 750W unit.

CPU cooling
They both have ‘All in One’ water cooling solutions. No servicing required, as the system is filled and sealed for the useful life cycle of the units. If they have been configured properly, they should be good for 10 years.

The AMD system however does have better cooling capacity, having a 240mm radiator and two 120mm fans. The radiator is positioned to expel the air out of the top of the case. So you would have to make sure that you have at least 10cm clearance from any obstructions.

The Intel system has a 120mm radiator and one 120mm fan. To make up for that, the Intel systems PC case should have more air flow, at the expense of creating more noise.

For many people the thought have having water inside a PC makes them nervous. Don’t worry about it. In the case of All In One coolers. If they are undamaged and tested during the PC build process, there will be little chance of any leaks, and they are quieter, and in general perform better than an air cooler.

DRAM
Both machines have the same amount of DRAM. But the AMD system has better quality RAM, which fits the very impressive GSkill Trident Z RGB.

Motherboards
They are difficult to compare as they are different platforms.
The AMD system one has better sound, and also has WiFi as well as 1Gbps lan.
It only has 2 DRAM sockets though, and both of these will be occupied. So if your going for the AMD system, then make sure that 16GB will be enough. If you’re worried about that, then inquire with the store how much extra it would be to fit 32GB. IMO, 16GB should be more than enough for your needs.

The Intel system will have 4 DRAM sockets leaving two free for future expansion should that be required. Other than that. IMO, the AMD B450 board is a step up in build quality from the one fitted in the Intel system. Both are good.

The cases.
The Intel system has the Thermaltake View 31 ARGB. Which is very modern and flashy.
The AMD system has the Thermaltake S300. It’s more subtle, but should also be quieter than the flashy one used in the Intel system.
I personally prefer subtle and quiet.

Bitlocker
Bitlocker is present in Win 7 Pro and Win 10 Pro. When enabled on a drive, it allows you to encrypt an SSD/HDD using a password. After which you need to apply a password to access the drive.
I asked just in case you had a Bitlocker encrypted drive already and needed to access the data on it.
If you don’t use the feature, you don’t need it. So Win 10 Home should fit your needs.

My mistake in the post above regarding the motherboard in the AMD system.
I does in fact have 4 DRAM slots and not 2 as I said above.
To me that makes it a no brainer between the two. IMO, the AMD system is a more attractive purchase than the Intel system.

yes the AMD is the 1 i am liking.

Also thanks for correcting your reply on the DRAM as well. very good to have you and the other guys helping me. i think that my decision is now made.

Q1- Also i looked at the SSD - 970-evo-plus-nvme-m-2-500gb and it mentions 300TBW , is there a way to see how many TB writes i have used on my Current HDD, to do some sort of rough comparison. ( not crucial for me to know , just curious to see how much i may of used or written so far ).

Q2 - if i do put all this in a custom case due to the fact i want my optical dvd drive in it, is there the correct adapter inside this to connect it and power it ? and the correct power adaptors/cables/slots inside to connect my current HDD as well.

Q3 - With the DRAM being 16gb on the AMD PC, is that (1x16 - filling 1 slot) or is it ( 2 x 8 filling 2 slots ). and if i want another 8gb or 16gb later on or at time of purchase is it better to get 1 x 8 for an additional 8gb or 2 x8 for an additional 16gb ?

i will have some more questions soon regarding windows 10.

Ill need a few weeks or so to look over everything and see what else i may need . And to contact the PC store to see how long it will take to build and also get another quote from ARC computers to see if they can better the price.

Thanks Dee, tibor and nixa_mk for all your help so far.