I wanna overclock but i dunno how, help

vbimport

hi im kinda new here, i wanna overclock my pc with these specs…

mobo: P5N-MX FSB 1333(oc), 1066, 800
cpu: Core2Duo e4500 2.2ghz
ram: 1X1gb kingston PC6400 (800 mhz)
vcard: sparkle 8400 GS 256mb
psu: generic 500 watts

others:
2 casing fans
cpu stock cooler (runs at 2000 rpm)

i wanna OC mine to atleast 3.0 ghz if it can?

bios info:
default multiplier is 11x
vcore is 1.39 stock ( and i cant change it)

Overclocking generally needs good cooling. Are you using the stock heatsink and fan? Do you have good cooling in your case?

I suggest looking up a few guides to overclocking. There are some at hardocp I know. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1198647
Google a bit for more guides to overclocking, and overclocking a core2 duo in particular.

You should download a free program called CoreTemp to keep track of the temperatures you have at stock speed vs your overclock attempts. http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

I have an E4300 running with a 50% overclock (2.7ghz). I use the stock heatsink/fan and stock voltage in the cpu, but I have very good airflow in my computer case and it proved to be more than adequate to keep my system cool.

When I did my overclock, all I did was raise the fsb to 300, and increased the voltage to my ram from 1.8 to 1.9 (recommended by the ram manufacturer or I wouldn’t have bothered). It is recommended to try raising the fsb in steps, then test to make sure everything is stable. I used Memtest and Orthos for this, though Prime95 is another program that can be used to test stability.

Since you can’t change the vcore, you may be limited in pushing your overclock very much. Adding voltage is the best way to get a system a little more stable as you raise the fsb. It also increases heat. I found that my cpu didn’t need extra voltage, and since I am not an extreme overclocker, that has been my practice for some time now…not to raise vcore. I stop before raising vcore becomes necessary.

If your bios won’t allow you to alter the fsb, you can forget overclocking. You will have to change the setting from Auto to User Defined (or whatever the terminology is in your bios) for setting fsb.

yes i only have the stock fan and heatsink…
so do this mean i cant overclock my unit?

you can if you want to But with a stock Fan its better not to do it.
With the mobo you have I would leave it as it is you are not going to gain much by over clocking it :slight_smile:

If you are truly serious about overclocking then I suggest that you go over to Overclockers Forum. You will learn everything you need to there. I don’t have your Core2Duo model, but I’m sure you should be able to crank that baby up A Bit…even with stock cooling.

However, there is far more to overclocking than merely upping your FSB, or upping your voltages. You need to also know your motherboards’ specs and capabilities.
A must have piece of software that you do need is the CoreTemp utility that Kerry recommended to you, because the biggest factor as to how far you can push that CPU on stock cooling would be your core temperatures at each overclocking increase.

Anyways, go over to OC Forums and don’t be shy to ask everything you’re unsure about. Someone there who has your motherboard or your CPU… or maybe both, will guide your every step.

A medium OC is always possible with a C2D. The question is do you really need it and do you accept the risks involved (no matter how small they may be). Personally, I don’t.

Your processor runs at a FSB of 800MHz (200MHz QuadPumped). Increasing this value to the standard 1066MHz (266MHz QuadPumped) will let your C2D run at 2.93GHz (33% OC) and most likely doesn’t require anything special by the way of cooling or voltages (although the CPU-fan will probably run faster/noisier).

Check your mobo manual for the relevant FSB settings in the BIOS and do it in steps, starting with a 10% increase for example, keeping an eye on cpu temp and stability. Never just whack on the full OC you want immediately, even if this is nowhere near the limit.

[QUOTE=Cressida;2029425]A medium OC is always possible with a C2D. The question is do you really need it and do you accept the risks involved (no matter how small they may be). Personally, I don’t.

Your processor runs at a FSB of 800MHz (200MHz QuadPumped). Increasing this value to the standard 1066MHz (266MHz QuadPumped) will let your C2D run at 2.93GHz (33% OC) and most likely doesn’t require anything special by the way of cooling or voltages (although the CPU-fan will probably run faster/noisier).

Check your mobo manual for the relevant FSB settings in the BIOS and do it in steps, starting with a 10% increase for example, keeping an eye on cpu temp and stability. Never just whack on the full OC you want immediately, even if this is nowhere near the limit.[/QUOTE]

Are you suggesting that he should raise his bus speed to 266 MHz?? Just based on glimpsing at his e4500, it has a multiplier of 11x AFAIK, so at 2.2 GHz his bus speed is now 200 MHz. Do you really feel that he can crank that up to 266 without upping any voltages, or adjusting the RAM ratio?

I’m A Bit puzzled that you would talk about risk, and also in the same breath say to up it from 200 to 266??? Which is it man, make up your mind!!.. J/K :p:bigsmile:… I personally feel that OC’ing just a little should not cause any harm to your CPU.

I do agree about the 10% steps each time to see if the stock voltages will be stable…

I still recommend that you go over to OverClockers forums and see if there are some there with possibly the same E4500 and the ASUS Mobo… just to see how well they OC’ed. Sorta like a benchmark to compare against.

They are very, very knowledgeable there and it’s also where I learned to get my E6600 running @ 3.2 GHz with a core temp of 30C or less, and that’s on air-cooling.

Hi [B]MBK[/B],

My mind’s made up, as I said ;). I don’t normally overclock my machines, as in day-to-day use I don’t feel I need it. This also comes from the fact that, contrary to popular belief maybe, an OC doesn’t only involve CPU and RAM speeds, but it will (even if you can lock your PCI bus etc.) affect your whole system, with less apparent consequences, on your IDE/SATA/USB ports for example. And I don’t want to run other components out of spec for longer periods, even if CPU and RAM will apparently handle an OC without breaking a sweat.

But for someone with an E4500 who’s still new to OC’ing, yet absolutely wants to try it, I believe 1066MHz is a logical target to aim for. As you can see above, Kerry56 uses a similar chip even at 1200MHz, without any special provisions.

Of course, [B]c3r1l[/B] will probably need to use a divider to keep his RAM speed below 800MHz and memory bandwidth will be a bottleneck in that case, since he’s not running Dual-Channel.

I’m by no means an OC-expert however and going to a dedicated OC-forum for more detailed help, as you and Kerry already suggested, is surely a good idea :iagree:.

My E4300 turned out to be an excellent overclocking chip, so I didn’t have to go to extreme measures to reach a stable overclock. I also use fast ram, so I can still run 1:1 ratio with fsb. My ram is slightly underclocked as a matter of fact…I could change that, but don’t want to mess with the system as it is running well.

c3r1l will have to find out for himself what his chip will do, and the measures necessary to overclock. Every system is slightly different. Going to a dedicated overclockers forum is definitely a good first step.

It does help to have a board that is overclocker friendly. Such as voltage settings for both vcore and ram, having a pci lock and a setting for pcie speed lock.

I’ve used overclocked boards since the nforce2 days, and haven’t seen any ill effects from them. But my overclocks have been between 20 and 50%. I don’t try to push the envelope.

My temperatures aren’t all that great compared to MBK’s, idle temp is about 38C…full load on Orthos was pushed up to 56C. But you can’t expect much better with the stock cooler.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2029581]I’ve used overclocked boards since the nforce2 days, and haven’t seen any ill effects from them. But my overclocks have been between 20 and 50%. I don’t try to push the envelope.[/QUOTE]

I have been over clocking CPUs for longer than I can remember. I’ve never had a CPU die or fail prior to it being upgraded that was over clocked. Not that is can happen but it is very unlikely if you are cautious when determining the maximum stable speed the CPU will run. In nearly all cases, over clocking a CPU (with little or no voltage increase) is no harder on the chip than the ones sold to the public that are spec’ed at a higher clock speeds.

Physically, there is no difference between CPUs with the same general specifications that are sold at varying clock speeds. The manufacturer culls them at the factory to determine how fast each individual chip will run stable and then locks the multiplier accordingly. Many times a run of CPUs will perform higher than what many of them will be marked for sale to the consumer. These chips have great over clocking potential. Many times I have been able to get top of the line performance by over clocking low to mid range CPUs and RAM.

yeah i think i should visit the overclockerz forum,

anyways ive checked my bios and i could do change my FSB(qdr),mhrz ; FSB-MEM Ratio(auto , 1:1 , 5:2 , 3:2 , sync) and my MEM(DDR),mhz.

i used coretemp to monitor my temp, im hving problems attaching the scrrenshot so im just ganna write it,
Tj Max = 85
core #0 = 29 C0 state
core #1 = 28 C0 state

i tried to input 1066 to my FSB and leave the others to default values, MEM is 800mhz, and i think its successfull bcoz i managed to goto windows, but then i tried using orthos but got an error for my CPU #0 about 2 minutes only, what could be the reason? forgot, i used the Blend - cpu and Ram stress test.

Those core temps are pretty good.
What is your Clock speed?.. it was at 200 MHz correct? w/ the multiplier at 11x?, and the CPU running @ 2.2 GHz. Did you crank it up to 266 Already?? What happened to the 10% incremental steps??

Also, did you really want to test your overclocking by stressing your CPU with Orthos? It’s usually for those that are into extreme OC’ing as a benchmark.
For you, just running the OC’ing and monitoring it’s stability and core temps, is sufficient enough IMHO.

Yes, you did exactly what we said you shouldn’t, [B]c3r1l[/B], putting it on 1066MHz straight away :bigsmile:. 10% of 800 would have been 880 or 900 for the first attempt, then maybe 1000 for the second and, if all goes well, 1050 or 1066 for the third.

Anyway, looks like you’re still alive, so what’s your [U]actual[/U] RAM speed now (check in BIOS or with CPU-Z in Windows)? I don’t think that Kingston stick will take much over 800 (200x4), so that may be the first thing to look at for instability.

SATA ports can be sensitive to overclocking as well and may crap out before CPU or RAM.

hi MBK,

ya i immediately crank it to 266 and it booted but got an error with orthos,
so maybe ill start with the 10% incremntal OC,

my bad,

thanks anyway,

and so there’s no need for that orthos? coz basically i just use my PC about 2-4 hours pure games.

alright,

i lowered by FSB to 966mhz anf got 2.66GHZ speed, but my memory became 785mhz instead of 800mhz, is it ok?

still i have a multiplier of 11x,

and what about those sata ports, i dont get it, am just a noob, lol

thanks for helping up,

• If your memory speed stays below or equal to 800MHz, you should be okay. You can select a different FSB/RAM ratio (divider) in the BIOS if RAM speed gets too high. Running a 1:1 ratio is optimal, but won’t be possible with your standard memory.

• I would also advise you to add a second 1GB stick and run in Dual-Channel mode to take full advantage of your CPU overclock.

• The Intel CPU multiplier is fixed (and can’t be changed in the BIOS).

• As I said before, overclocking affects your whole mobo and there’s no way you can tell or influence what it does to your SATA ports. You might lose your SATA drives in the BIOS or even worse, get data corruption when using them.

hi guys,

yes my multiplier is locked at 11x so when i tried to change my fsb to 966 to have 2.66GHz, i also changed my divider to 1:1

but i noticed my memory frequency became 533 instead of 800,

is it ok? am i gaining some performance boosts with regard to thAT memory decrease?