I think my pc crashed

vbimport

Hi,
When I got home from work today and opened up the lid of my laptop, and my background image was replaced with a default image… oh, and when I opened my documents map it was empty! All my photos are gone too! I have no idea what happened… Atm I am logged in on a temporary account, I have no idea why, but thats the message that pops up when I log in. I use windows 7 and I bought my laptop early this summer, so it isn’t old either. I know I could take it back to the place where I bought it and get a new one, but I really need those documents! Anyone here who can help? I don’t even know what information to give you so you can help, so please just ask if there is anything you need to know :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

This may sound like a silly question, but have you scanned first of all for any viruses or malware?

Thank you :slight_smile:
Uuum I thought I did, but I’m now doing a complete system search w Norton

Yo-

Once you insure that the laptop is clean - do a “Restore” back to when you know the system was good.

To do a “Restore” go to the start button in the lower left hand corner of your screen - click on it and right above will be a window - type in “restore” and follow the directions.

When you are finished - back up the laptop.

[QUOTE=Petbouvi;2654267] Norton[/QUOTE]

That a disaster of a program itself…so target by malware and virus you most likely norton got hammered by some malware or virus rendering it basically a trash program…you might want to get A/V that is so bloated ware…

The laptop is probably a Acer.

[QUOTE=Petbouvi;2654263]Hi,
When I got home from work today and opened up the lid of my laptop, and my background image was replaced with a default image… oh, and when I opened my documents map it was empty! All my photos are gone too! I have no idea what happened… Atm I am logged in on a temporary account, I have no idea why, but thats the message that pops up when I log in. I use windows 7 and I bought my laptop early this summer, so it isn’t old either. I know I could take it back to the place where I bought it and get a new one, but I really need those documents! Anyone here who can help? I don’t even know what information to give you so you can help, so please just ask if there is anything you need to know :)[/QUOTE]

We haven’t heard back from you in a day, did you get your Laptop working. It sounds like you leave it on all the time, if you do you should Boot up at least once a week. You need to get to the Desktop or start it up in Safe Mode to save your Documents and Pictures to a Flash Drive. :cool:

Yeah well it worked the first time, but now the same thing happened. Norton did find and fix 3 virus-thingys and I started system recovery. I got everything back. But I turned of my laptop yesterday before I went to bed and this morning the same thing happened… So I tried to do the same as last time, but no luck…:confused: I get an error message. I can’t remember what it says exactly, but something about **** being damaged so it can’t be recovered… Oh, and My laptop is HP Pavilion g6…
I’ll be back with more info later. Thanks for replying!

I just noticed someone here said Norton sux… is that true? I suppose it could be, but as I am kind of newbish when it comes to computers (at least complicated stuff) I know very little about antivirus programmes. Any free programmes that can be recomended? I guess not though, the free ones probably all have issues or else they wouldn’t be free :stuck_out_tongue: I suppose I ought to have bought an antivirus progamme… probably really stupid of me downloading a free one… (free trial) :doh:Oh well… You gotta learn from your mistakes… right? :slight_smile:

If you run a AV program and it finds and removes some viruses and then you do the Windows restore to an earlier date you are probably are restoring the viruses that you just got rid of. Get rid of the virus, backup all of your data that is important to you, clear out all restore points turn off system restore. Now see if your computer works ok for a day or two. If it does turn your system restore back on, it will have no restore points, and make a restore point of the way it is now, and you are good to go. If your computer is not working right after the virus removal use the computer restore that is on your D drive ( it will restore your computer to the way it was when it was new)or from a computer restore disc. either way you have your data saved and can put it back. AVG is a good free antivirus.

At this point, petbouvi is probably better off backing up his/her stuff and then just reformatting the drive using the system discs provided with his/her computer or made by him/her. There’s no guarantee that wiping system restore points will take care of the issue.

I’m not sure I know of any antivirus program that offers 100% protection. A layered approach with a software firewall, an anti-malware program, and an anti-virus program is probably your best bet. And I do suggest occasionally using another online AV scanner like Kaspersky or temporarily installing another AV to check your system. Though as other people will/have mentioned, the best defense is not to get infected in the first place, so limiting your exposure by not clicking on suspicious e-mail links, going to red light web sites(e.g. prOn), torrents, etc etc.

I have had problems with Norton in the past, but that was a long time ago. People that i know haven’t had an issue with Norton 360. That’s not to say that there couldn’t be problems with its protection, but I haven’t heard of any myself.

I wouldn’t recommend AVG. It is a huge target for trojan/virus writers. I have personally seen anti-AVG trojans and viruses infect previous computers of mine and at work. I would suggest Avast Home edition or Kaspersky.

I backed up my data (everything I wanted to keep) and then I made the laptop reset itself to the way it was when I got it in the store… Now it works fine :slight_smile: I have installed a trial version of Norton 360… It’ll do for now anyways… Thanks for your help! :clap:

“I have installed a trial version of Norton 360… It’ll do for now anyways… Thanks for your help!”

Will they never learn?

Create a new user and check if you can switch background images there. Microsoft Antivirus that comes with Windows 7 is enough (Security Essentials), no need to buy any Antivirus anymore. :wink: