I seem to be missing something

OK, A few months ago, I bought a new Samsung SH-S812D and put it in my Mom’s PC(AMD 2800, 1 gig RAM, XP Home). It burns really fast and is quiet. All around a great drive. So, I got the fever to get a new fast, quiet drive for myself and bought a Sony NEC|AD7190A Optiarc from Newegg. The drive was slow as all get out. I knew the reviews showed it was fast, so I put it in my Mom’s PC and it was fast and quiet, like her Samsung. My PC is an AMD AM2 Dual Core 3600 with 2 Gigs of RAM w/XP Pro. I built both PCs and to my knowledge, they are set up almost the same. Christmas Day I got two new AD7190As, so I put one of the new ones in my Moms PC, took her Samsung and put it in mine and flashed the oldest 7190 to a Liteon DH20A3P. I booted up the system and all three drives are showing up just fine. They are also burning at least 4 times slower than the one in my Mom’s PC. I have tried disconnecting all 3 drives and rebooting. I have tried turning off DMA, rebooting, switching it back on and rebooting again. All to no avail. They are currently set to DMA and still burning slow. As a matter of fact, they are slower now, than before I did the DMA stuff.

Obviously, there is something set wrong on my PC, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out what it is…

My C:drive is an 80 gig IDE 7200 RPM Seagate, with the DH20A3P as the slave. The AD7190A is the master and the Samsung is the slave on a PCI cards IDE. I have two SATA HDDs and at different times I run virtual drives for a few games. I have a card reader, so 4 drive names are taken by it’s slots. Daemon tools has two drive names assigned for virtual drives and Alcohol has one drive name assigned, as well. Do I have too many drive names or are the drive assignments a problem? I am grasping at straws, I know, but this is driving me nuts…

After writing this, a burn I started on the Samsung drive finished and it took over an hour for just over 4 gigs to burn at 8X. It wouldn’t burn any faster, even though I had Ridata +R 16X media in it. The other three drives recognize the media as 16X, but not the Samsung, which is firmwared to the latest version(6) for it’s model. The AD7190A on my Mom’s PC just burned two DVDs of the same 4 gig size in a little over 6 minutes per DVD… It should be noted the Samsung drive did recognize some Sony disks earlier in the month, as 16X

First, make sure dma is on for your drives. Then try deleting the upper and lower filters by following the instructions at this site:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Are you using 80 wire IDE cables ? If not, get some. :cool:

[quote=Kerry56;1964588]First, make sure dma is on for your drives. Then try deleting the upper and lower filters by following the instructions at this site:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060[/quote]I started to follow your directions, but before I read the reply, I turned off all my virtual software, disabled the three DVD burners and then uninstalled the burners. I rebooted and the burners reinstalled, afterwhich the slave on my main IDE channel was able to burn at good speeds, in the 4 - 6 minute range, depending on the HDD they pull from. The other two drives, which are on an IDE channel from a PCI card are still slow, but they don’t show the DMA info like the other drive does. The primary shows device 0 as Ultra DMA 5 and device 1 as Ultra DMA 4. The IDE channel from the PCI card shows “Not Applicable”, even though DMA is selected. My assumption is that when I get my new motherboard, with 2 IDE channels, that the native IDE will support DMA on all four devices. As long as at least one burns fast, I can wait the few weeks. I knew when I got this last motherboard it was a temporary budget board and I’d have to suffer along with just 2 SATA connectors and 1 IDE slot. The motherboard I wanted went out of stock the day I decided to get it and stayed that way for months. It’s back in stock, but since I use AMD, I am moving to an AM2+ MB instead of another AM2, in case I decide to go quad.

[quote=c@tbyte;1964862]Are you using 80 wire IDE cables ? If not, get some. :cool:[/quote]I bought the bigger round cables when I originally built this PC back in 2002, as the 40 wires were starting to be replaced by some of the better Motherboard makers. They called me Captain Overkill at the computer store, because I started with a full boat of RAM, extra USB slot card, 3 optical drives and two HDDS right out of the gate. I have an Antec Professional Series 1 tower case that has pretty much stayed full of drives, save the one optical slot at the top.

Ritek media, skip them.

Use reliable media like Verbatim and don’t try to burn with more than 1 burner at the same time.

[quote=chef;1965891]Ritek media, skip them.

Use reliable media like Verbatim and don’t try to burn with more than 1 burner at the same time.[/quote]
I use Sony, RiDATA, HP and pretty much whatever else is out there with pretty much the same results. At most, I get 2 or 3 coasters in a 100 pack. When I am transcoding a DVD, I have the affinity set on the 0 processor for Nero and the 1 processor for my other stuff. I rarely have 2 burners working at the same time, but when it has occured, the disks always come out fine as they are using their own processor. None of my speed issues were related to me trying to run more than one burner at a time, as I rarely do unless a movie happens to finish transcoding while I am in the midst of a data burn.

The two slower drives have now been tried in the slave position of my main IDE channel with the same results as the first drive. Any drive on the integrated IDE channel works great and any drives on the PCI card channels are without DMA support and burn slow as hell. It won’t matter in a few days, as I have ordered my new motherboard and processor.

On a side note, my cousin Duane has a quad core AMD rig and he set four different burning softwares to their own affinities and burned 4 disks at the same time Saturday night. He burnt 4 copies of the same info and got great results on all four disks 3 times in a row. He’s running the disks through Nero speed test and comparing the results right about now, as he just called me to brag about it.

I’d like to thank everyone for their input and wish everyone a Happy New Year. This site has been a big help to me on a number of occasions…:bow:

[QUOTE=DarkFall2142;1966181]The two slower drives have now been tried in the slave position of my main IDE channel with the same results as the first drive. Any drive on the integrated IDE channel works great [B]and any drives on the PCI card channels are without DMA support and burn slow as hell.[/B] It won’t matter in a few days, as I have ordered my new motherboard and processor.[/QUOTE]

That behaviour is quite common because only some PATA PCI controller cards support PATA ODD properly.
Make sure you get one with SI or ITE chipset and they have a non-RAID BIOS flashed (BASE BIOS). :wink: