I seek Sony RW DW-G120A Firmware

vbimport

Hi there I’m new and I’m not being funny but where on earth do you get firmware for your DVD burners?
I cannot fin the sopecific people to contact within Sony and googlr (bless it) give this forum as a place to start the hunt!!!

Urm its a long story really, I built the comp myself and like the look and price of the Sony RW DW-G120A and went for it. I especially liked the fact that it did all formats…
Well I need to burn this thing that 6GB, yep I know huge and I only found out yesterday (!) that there is such a thing as Dual Layer!!!
And my trusty Sony RW DW-G120A is puported to be able to burn and read such a thing!!!

Wow was that ever a lucky choice.

Anyways, i just want it up to date as much as possible. I bought it back in 2006/7 so theres probably something new knocking about for it unless of course they stopped supporting it.

Any ideas?

:flower:

What firmware version is currently on the drive?

Oh Albert now you are asking!! Urm how d I find out? Device Manager?

Have you read this?
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/sony-dvd-rw-dw-g120a-problem-213412/

To find out your firmware version [one of many easy ways]:

Download Nero CD-DVD Speed [small, free application]
Run it, and see what the version is [either MYSx or MYRx]; the firmware version is listed after the drive name. For example, in this post, you can see that the Pioneer drive is on firmware 1.24 and the LiteOn drive is on firmware KL0P.

Brilliant, thank you.
So can I confirm that this is the latest Firmware:
https://sales.sony-semicon.co.uk/sunshine/index.htm;jsessionid=6ED8675E08BD388D1B7C2F171FA068C4?child_1=37&desc1=DVDRW&child_2=214&desc2=DW-G120A&child_3=215&desc3=Firmware

And that I don’t need to worry about MYR5…oh and do I just click on it as its an EXE file and lastly, once Ive done this, I have two other HDD do I need to install it on those as well or does the firmware sit inside the DVD drive (As it were!!)

It only effects the burner (internal to the drive). Yes just run the EXE file

Wow, I think Im MYS3 thats a bit old!!

Yes, update to MYS6. :flower:

Great so I only need to do it once and thats it like Flashing my BIOS!!

Thank you very much guys much appreciated.

Lets hope I will be able to burn Dual Layer…should I use Magic ISO or Nero?
I’ve got both…

A number of us create an image with Nero and burn with ImgBurn. :iagree:

Cool, people, it has worked, I am updated!!

Now I have one (Yep uno) dual layer DVD turning up in the post so I can’t cock up!!

The image is already created and I prefer Magic Iso, but as its Dual Layer and I really didn’t know that ever existed until yesterday I’m not sure if it can do it.

I wll have a look at their tutorials.

So thank you very much guys and good night.

I will be back to tell you how I got on and have a good route through your Blue Ray and HD section (Although, I suppose HD is redundant these days)

Night :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=eskimosound;2041869]Hi there I’m new and I’m not being funny but where on earth do you get firmware for your DVD burners?
I cannot fin the sopecific people to contact within Sony and googlr (bless it) give this forum as a place to start the hunt!!!

Urm its a long story really, I built the comp myself and like the look and price of the Sony RW DW-G120A and went for it. I especially liked the fact that it did all formats…
[B]Well I need to burn this thing that 6GB[/B], yep I know huge and I only found out yesterday (!) that there is such a thing as Dual Layer!!!
And my trusty Sony RW DW-G120A is puported to be able to burn and read such a thing!!!

Wow was that ever a lucky choice.

Anyways, i just want it up to date as much as possible. I bought it back in 2006/7 so theres probably something new knocking about for it unless of course they stopped supporting it.

Any ideas?

:flower:[/QUOTE]

If that is a movie then run it through dvd shrink to make it dvd5 sized.