I see many 1080p .264 HD/blu backups with .mkv extention..Question below

vbimport

The size is around 8.01-8.04 GB so I assume such backups would fit on DVD DL.
Any idears what soft to use to make such and can you really make a decent quality HD backup fit on DL?

" Last edited…" Point taken. Where can one find a way (a guide) to backup into .mkv?

[quote=FidelC;2008837]The size is around 8.01-8.04 GB so I assume such backups would fit on DVD DL.
Any idears what soft to use to make such and can you really make a decent quality HD backup fit on DL?[/quote]
I haven’t tried making an MKV yet but yes it will fit DVD DL if the size is 8GB-ish, but the question is, which standalone player can playback MKV files on DL media?

I doubt there are many, if any, such stand-alones. Right now these files are for PCs / HTPCs.

I’m still learning. So you can backup blu-ray to .mkv extension. Is that the only format? Can you playback from PC to TV? I have an LCD TV with HDMI input.

Can you playback via PS3?

Technically speaking there should be no prob for PS3 and other HD/blu players to handle these 8GB backups, since .mkv files use well known and supported h.264 codec. However, all standalones need time to evolve (market demand) from playing blu structures to supporting individual files; similar to DVD payers that later supported DIVX (even tho it was a difficult trick to pull - DIVX is not MPEG2). For now to play these MKVs on PC there is no need (I suppose) for any HDMI/HDCP compliance, just enough horse power.
I tried playing one of these "trailers’’ and while quality is exceptional , it stutters and freezes. I guess it wants a modern video card with .264 coded hardware support, but I may be wrong.

Update. My comp turned out to be HD ready :slight_smile: The trailer plays beautiful. Just needed a new video driver.

If you have a HDTV, stream or connect from your PC with DVI-HDMI converter, it will look great. :wink: