I really need help with nero

vbimport

I have a Pentium 3 with windows Xp and I have an ACTIMA ARW4420. which is made by Ricoh.....and I just cant get Nero to write larger files for me...I can get it to make up a small file cd..but I am doing movies at the moment...and it comes up with write error burn failed...no explanation why or what the problem is....I had the latest Ricoh burner but it died and has gone back to manufacturer for either repair or replacement and am using this burner temp..to get me by...but im not having any success....Nero recognises it and says everything is ok...I have been having this problem for a week now and it really is driving me nuts...what could be the problem...can anyone help...I would greatly appreciate it........:bow:

Have you made sure that you have the latest Nero version?

You may also try with different media types.

Does the drive contain the newest firmware available for it?

Ok…thanx guys…firstly yes I have the lastest version of Nero…and secondly…Wookie what do you mean the latest hardware…no laughing please:o if I dont...what do I need and where do I find it...I even tried cloneCD and that wont burn either …while the burner is in progress…just before it says error reading…you can hear a sound coming from the burner…(the same (spin sound) the burner makes when you put a disc in…am I making any sense…I have checked the windows troubleshooter and it tells me the device (burner) is working properly and that there is no better driver found…if I could find a picture of someone pulling out there hair…I would post it here…I have just thrown my 23rd disc (frisby) out the window…Help…:o :confused: :a

Is there perhaps a program in the background that wants acces to the burner ( a virusscanner for example?)

I have been trying to get back to answer you all…but this site keeps telling me im not logged on....thought id type a short message before I write my next novel…to c if I get through this time…:frowning:

well…I got through…now for my novel…I have turned everything off as to not interfere with everything…now…I downloaded the firmware upgrade (thankyou)…and…I will say that now the windows own prog is working…now weather I have directed the upgrade to the right place or not is another thing…when I clicked onto the upgrade it had my burner drive and my dvd drive and it also had Quantum fireballs in there…isnt that my firewall...is that meant to be there or what....:o anyway I directed it to my burner drive .......and although the windows prog is now working ,Nero now, instead of breaking down around 17% it now makes it to 45%....so this must be the right track....(am I doing it right is the question)............remember guys under this grey hair was an original blonde...;) ....and besides that im losing my reputation as download burn Queen…at least this does prove to me that there is nothing wrong with the burner… doesn`t it…:bow: we are obviously on the right track…I also read about a program called End it all…would this help…(maybe)

Quantum Fireball is your hard drive:p

Marianne,

The ACTIMA ARW4420 only supports PIO4. In Nero, there is an option to test for disk cache speeds (I’ve forgotten the exact phrase - and I don’t have Nero on my office machine).

You need to run a test for file sizes / transfer speeds (again I forget the exact term…)

Maybe some other user can help here, if they have Nero at hand. Also try unchecking the “Cache small files / files less than 64 kb” option.

Sorry…but what is PI04…this all sounds just soooo confusing…I dont know I still feel it has something to do with the firmware...because remember I cant get ANY program (besides windows) to burn…what I caN

Check this article out:

http://www.etestinglabs.com/bi/cont1998/199807/piodma.asp

Basically, PIO data transfer is slower than DMA (in Windows, at least). It also is a heavy drain on system resources, esp the CPU.

Have you tried other programs like CD Mate etc?

Personally, I’d say the best way to resolve any issue is to scrap XP and load Windows 2000, if you have it. At that point, we could rule out the OS as the cause of the problem.

Sorry…but what is PI04…this all sounds just soooo confusing…I dont know I still feel it has something to do with the firmware...because remember I cant get ANY program (besides windows) to burn…what I cant understand is....(this burner is replacing mine...(while im waiting for repair or replacement) of my Ricoh…and was in my other computer…which was set up purely to burn stuff on…it is an older machine with windows 98SE…and worked perfectly…just using cloneCD…so why then has the firmware not done the trick…I just cant understand it...I did the firmware update right because when I click on Nero it tells me firmware updated to 1.3.....so.....what next....do I keep trying to rectify the problem or wait patiently until Ricoh return mine...and patience is not a very good word with me..I dont have much…thanx again

Look at the post above yours :slight_smile:

Try disabling the IMAPI service in Windows XP and updating the ASPI layer (search the forum, I’m sure there are other posts related to this).

As I said before, try loading Windows 2000. If you really need XP (though I can’t imagine why), setup your machine as a dual boot with win 2000 and XP. Use Win2000 for CD burning etc.

thankyou burnproof…just one question…where? do I find the AMAPI service on my computer to disable it…sorry…no laughing…and I have done the aspi thing…thankyou AGAIN

Originally posted by Marianne
thankyou burnproof…just one question…where? do I find the AMAPI service on my computer to disable it…sorry…no laughing…and I have done the aspi thing…thankyou AGAIN

Goto your controlpanel, then administration tools and open Services.
Here you will find the service: COM-service for IMAPI cdwriters which you need to DISABLE.