I read files on a disk but can't format or write to them

vbimport

Hello,
I got a 2nd Dell laptop (Inspiron 5100) a couple of days ago and decided to format the C:/ to get any rubbish off it. Everything went fine. Since then I have been installing the various drivers I need: Audio Codecs Display, Broad Com, Disk Driver but the DVD/CD RW driver I can’t find. I have tried the 13 different DVD/CD RW drivers that the Dell website let you download but none of them work. Also I’m not entirely sure if it is the driver because I can read off CDs that have already got something on them but when I put a blank disk in I can’t format it and can’t write anything to it. I am just using windows XP to write and format.
Bye.

Welcome :slight_smile:

Windows already comes with its own generic “one-fits-all” driver for DVD/CD drives. EDIT: IDE ones, that is (thanks for mentioning SATA ones, Kerry. Blonde Moment :bigsmile: )

How did you find out that a driver might be required? Have you looked in Device Manager to see if there are any yellow exclamation marks next to any of the components?

You say you’ve only tried to write to CD with Wondows’ built-in burning engine; have you tried a burning software to see if that will burn to a disc?

CDBurnerXP is a good free option. :slight_smile:

You don’t need drivers for the dvd drive. The generic MS drivers in XP will be fine. If the drive is using a SATA interface, the chipset drivers should work for the SATA controller.

Are you using cds? Or are you trying to burn dvds of some sort?

XP does not have native ability to burn to dvds. You have to use third party software for that. CD’s should work. Have you tried a burning program like ImgBurn? It is a free program that is well respected here.

Next time you want to get rid of the extra programs added by an OEM, try this program: http://pcdecrapifier.com/

you can format RW disks both dvd and cd with Incd of nero burning program.
normal cd you dont have to format you cannot delete what is already written.
only in cdRW it is possible to delete and write again.
from windows you cannot dlete write directly.
use burner programs

Each to his or her own, but I wouldn’t install InCD unless packet-writing is specifically needed, as it has been known to cause some odd problems/behaviour. :slight_smile:

yes it does give problems.
but i have not been able to uninstall it or install nero without Incd

Before I formatted the C:/ I could burn and copy stuff to CDs and DVDs with this computer so it must be something that I have to install that doesn’t come with windows. But if I don’t need a driver then I don’t know what. I am very confused but I will try some of the 3rd party programs that have been mentioned. Also, if this means anything, I insert a disk; the computer recognises it because some window appears asking me what I want to do (e.g play, open folders to view files, take no action, ect); I can’t format the disk and when I look at the properies of the disk it has: “0 Bytes Used and 0 Bytes Free”.
Thanks
This website is great. Within about an 1 hour or 2 I already got 5 replies

[QUOTE=padoor;2458920]yes it does give problems.
but i have not been able to uninstall it or install nero without Incd[/QUOTE]InCD has always been an optional component, so it’s easy to install Nero without InCD. And it’s also easy to get rid of it without formatting the HDD :wink:

[QUOTE=M_I_K_E;2458949]Before I formatted the C:/ I could burn and copy stuff to CDs and DVDs with this computer so it must be something that I have to install that doesn’t come with windows. But if I don’t need a driver then I don’t know what.[/quote]CD/DVD burning software. ImgBurn, CDburnerXP. Also check the accessories that came with our computer, Dell loves to ship Roxio software.

Also, if this means anything, I insert a disk; the computer recognises it because some window appears asking me what I want to do (e.g play, open folders to view files, take no action, ect); I can’t format the disk and when I look at the properies of the disk it has: “0 Bytes Used and 0 Bytes Free”.
Windows (XP) can’t deal with blank DVD media at all, so no worries.

-ess

Thanks a lot people
I got it working. I really didn’t expect such fast feed-back as well. I thought I would have to wait a couple od days before I found out how to do it. Also I asked my dad and he said something about a program called Roxio that used to be on here before I formatted the drive so I might install that and uninstall ImgBurn. This isn’t to say that ImgBurn doesn’t work it’s just I am more comfortable with Roxio. Thanks again.
Bye

I quite like Roxio (I might get lynched now :bigsmile: )…I’m using Easy Media Creator v9 on one of my main PCs (have Nero 8 on the other), and find it’s user friendly and does everything I need. :slight_smile:

Glad you got it sorted M_I_K_E :clap:

^We’re going to tell on you Arachne! Expect a “howler” from LUK soon. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2459006]^We’re going to tell on you Arachne! Expect a “howler” from LUK soon. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

LOL!! :bigsmile:

But I have ImgBurn installed on all PCs as well, think I might get away with it? :slight_smile: