I pay less than 17 cents for 2.4x

vbimport

I bought the slower 2.4x (I am not in a hurry) for about 16.8 cents apiece. I have never thrown more than two away in a batch of 100. I like not spending a lot of money. Are these more expensive disks better or is it all about the speed?

It is hard to say as you have not mentioned any brands or media code or what you are using them for. I assume you are talking about RW discs so the brand and media code are important. Also, this media is NOT for long term storage.

These are Sonic Brand DVD+R.

Yo-

Yup - You sure are getting your moneys worth-

Mike

Be nice Mike.

Sonic DVDs have a very high problem rate as they are about as cheap as you can get. You are not paying less for low speed, you are paying less because they are very cheaply made. Very high quality TY media can be had for about 28 cents, so for a dime you are risking problems in the future.

Another problem with Sonic is that they vary widely from batch to batch so you might get a good batch and be lucky and then find that the next batch is a problem.

I wouldn’t use these if they were free but if you are comfortable with the possibility that these may become unusable in the future then you are OK and aware of the risks.

I would use them if they were free to do some torture tests (on drives.) :slight_smile:

@ra@scientist

17 cent for a DVD blank media isn’t necessarily an exceptionally low price anymore. If you browse this forum alone, there are lots of cheap media that perform well at the very highest possible speeds.

17 dollars for slow 470GB space… I would rather continue to use my ipop service. It’s just as fast as 2.4x DVD (approximately 3-5MB/s upload and download) and 1TB space for 15 dollars per month and no need to have a burner.

CompUSA time to time have a spindle of 100 for $19.99, their own brand, 4X rated, CMC F01, so it is only a few cents more per disc, burnt at 8X on some burners, decent scan quality. And Supermediastore starts selling media on Ebay, I just got 200 Verbatim -R 8X inkjet printable for $52 + shipping, which comes out to be $70 for 200 verbatim inkjet printable.
And Chas0039, saw your profile that you have oxford 911 and prolific 3507, does the prolific chip really transfer that fast? I have Oxford 911 and Cypress AT-2 enclosure and I love both of it, how is the prolific chip?

I don’t need 1TB of online space, I already have over 1.5TB on my servers. I am new to using DVD burners for backup and don’t know that much about brands. I do a verify every time I burn so I thought that if it verified ok it would stay ok.

chas0039, are you saying that even if a burned disk verifies 100%, you can still lose data in the future?

It was just a comparison to point out 2.4x media are far too obsolete now. I myself have had over 5TB HDD space for about 1 year at home, and more space on IDC and other places. What I meant is that 2.4x DVD is slower than 100Mbps FTTH which isn’t exactly fast either.

Yes, you can still lose the data whether the “verification” says 100% or 99.99%.

2.4x media is fine for video, though. For long-term storage too. Once it’s burned, it’s burned. I have lots of computers so I don’t have to watch the DVD burn.

I am finishing up a spindle of CMC MAG E01 that I got for dirt cheap last fall. The burns are of good quality (if not exceptional) and the time to burn is not really a big issue for me. If I’m in a hurry I pull out 8x media.

I was concerned about the integrity of data and was originally wanting to find out if I could burn to 4 disks at the same time with one of them being parity (like in raid 5 for scsi) but I cannot seem to find anything on that subject anywhere (however I am new to DVD burning). This forum ended up being my last hope for that so I just bought a ton of disks cheap and double back up everything.

CMCMAGE01 isn’t of good quality either.

I often was involved inside the media distribution industry. Those very cheap 2.4x DVD+R and 2x DVD-R media are likely to have been produced by some Chinese companies without enough experiences. Imagine how much drive manufacturers hate them.

RAID-like backup on DVD is impossible for now. You can copy HDD data to multiple DVD disks at once using multiple DVD burners at once though.

It’s a practical good idea to backup on multiple DVD disks, but it’s still of little use if you use only poor quality media. I strongly recommend buy more HDDs and use HDDs for backup. I have literally over 50 HDDs and 20+ DVD burners and thousands of DVD media. If you are new to DVD burning and want the cheapest possible media when you already have 1.5TB HDD, a very combination for disastor. Why would very experienced people test burn results even after using good media from Taiyo Yuden and Mitsubishi? Don’t trust DVDs too much even when you are using the most expensive DVD writers in the world.

My systems use scsi 80 hotswap drives and they can get expensive. I thought burning DVD’s would be more permanent than magnetic media.

Well, using 80-pin SCSI hotswap drives for terabyte backup wasn’t exactly what I recommended. The biggest HDDs for my servers with 80-pin hotswap bays are 18GB ones. I’d need literally one thousand or more units to backup my data which would probably cost well over 200,000 USDs. I have only two 80-pin drives. SATA II options are far easier, cheaper, and faster.

DVD+R/-R media are write-once. Write-once means it’s permanently stored. That’s the difference between rewritable HDDs and recordable DVDs. It doesn’t mean the data recorded on DVD disks are safe just because it’s write-once technology. For data longevity, get Blu-ray media with protective cartridges. Lots of Japanese companies and invididual consumers have used Blu-ray because of larger capacity and data safety.

Anyway, there are cheap and good DVD media like those ghetocowboy mentioned above to consider instead of cheap and bad DVD media.

As far as I have been able to tell from other posts and from resellers, this is the only way, short of firewire 800, to get 16X burning from an external drive. If you look at my link for external burners cases you can find a dealer who has this in the USB version as well. I never burn at 16X but I have it for when I do. It works like a charm.

IEEE 1394b 3.2Gbps as well as SATA III should become standard in the next ICH8. :iagree:

Verify says it is readable today. All DVDs have errors and PIF errors are the main concern as this is the last level of error correction. It is generally assumed that errors increase over time. When they increase to the level that your then current burner cannot read, problems arise. Good quality media on a high quality burner mean lower errors and less deterioration. Of course the opposite is true for poor media and a low quality burn. You don’t really loose data, it just becomes unreadable. The only safe guard against this is high quality discs.

And imagine some Chinese manufacturers starting to make your 80-pin SCSI HDDs without learning enough from Seagate and Hitachi. That’s what’s happening in DVD recordable industry.

Originally Posted by chas0039
Verify says it is readable today. All DVDs have errors and PIF errors are the main concern as this is the last level of error correction. It is generally assumed that errors increase over time. When they increase to the level that your then current burner cannot read, problems arise. Good quality media on a high quality burner mean lower errors and less deterioration. Of course the opposite is true for poor media and a low quality burn. You don’t really loose data, it just becomes unreadable. The only safe guard against this is high quality discs.

Thanks, I understand this. I should have looked into DVD’s more before I bought a bunch of em.