I/O Magic External USB DVDRW and DVD+R

I have the above mentioned DVD writer. Everything seems to work fine when writing to DVD-R and DVD+RW discs. However, writing to and reading DVD+R discs is a real problem. It seems that my writer just doesn’t want to read them. The ID string for this drive is “DVDRW IDE 16X.” Is that even correct?

I’m using LiveUpdate to get the latest firmware (currently A190).

Thank you,
Jedi Jeter

Try some different discs. Taiyo Yudens are good.

I’ve tried different brands of DVD+Rs. At first I tried CompUSA DVD+Rs, and when those didn’t work, I tried Memorex, with the same result.

Is the ID line “DVDRW IDE 16X” correct for a USB rewriter? Am I getting the correct firmware?

Sincerely,
Jedi Jeter

Please, use NeroInfotool (www.cdspeed2000.com) to post the necessary data.

OK, I ran NeroInfoTool. What information should I list? Remember that I’m new so I need to go slowly here!!

Drive: DVDRW IDE 16X
Configuration: DVDRW IDE 16X USB Device

Thank you,
Jedi Jeter

CompUSA and Memorex are not necessarily good media.

Memorex DVD-R discs work beautifully and flawlessly, though. By the way, data can be burned to my DVD+R discs; anything else results in nothing but headaches.

What about the ID for the external burner (DVDRW IDE 16X)? Is there a problem there? Plus I’m having problems downloading the most current firmware from LiveUpdate (A191; I keep getting error messages).

HEEEEEELLLPPPPP…!!

Sincerely,
Jedi Jeter

The sticker on the drive should say who made it.

The bottom of the drive states that I/O Magic is the manufacturer.

Jedi Jeter

I/O Magic just reabdges other manufactured burners.

1.) OK, but still, what does “IDE” mean?

2.) Anyone have any idea why the DVDRW drive would be OK with burning data to a DVD+R disc, but when anything else gets burned to it, there are problems?

Thanks!!
Jedi Jeter

After looking at the definition, it appears that my PC should recognize this device as a USB device and not an IDE device, correct? If that’s true, then why the incorrect tag line? Can anyone help me?? I downloaded firmware through the website listed on the sticker attached to the drive (www.drvupdate.com)

Thanks,
Jedi Jeter