I/O Magic Deal @ Staples

vbimport

A friend insisted on a BenQ 1620. Went to three local Staples looking for the I/O Magic. The store display shows the I/O Magic with 40X CD-R write (BenQ). All the boxes contain 48X (BTC?) built in Jan 2005.

Be careful about this President day deal. Most of these drives are rebadged BTCs.

is a btc drive really all that bad? I have one that is just a dvd±r and not had a single problem with it and i have had it almost 2 years

If you use name brand media like Ritek, TY, Maxell, Verbatim, TDK, Fuji, etc I’d assume any drive can perform well. What really makes a good drive stand out from the bad drives is being able to handle media that isn’t name brand (for instance CMC Magnetics or lesser media ID codes). That’s just my thoughts on it though, if you use Princo, Optodisc and other dodgy cheap media like that any burner could give you trouble with it. :wink:

I have both a Nec 3500 and a BTC 1016. Both seem to do a good job. I use the NEC the most because of the modified fireware. However, I have had pressed movie discs that the NEC would not read and the BTC read just fine.

The I/O Magic’s at my Staples did not appear to be BENQ’s. Seems the BENQ version is getting scarce.

went to two staples in my area (Northern VA) and they were all BTC :frowning:

I was at Staples waiting for the doors to open this morning@1100 am. I could see a stack of the I/O Magics sitting on a display so as soon as the door opened I check every single box. All of them BTC. Damn it all! Damn it all to hell! I looked over the ones behing the counter too. They all had the same box.(NW Ohio B.G) It’s the only one near here.

are btc that bad? How bad does it do with mcc and ty?

I got the external version, USB 2, 16X DL. Firmware is A079. Mfg date is 11/04. Model # IDVD16DDBE. Paid $109- $30 rebate.
Shows 48X CD-R write speed.
I am impressed with the solid feel of the unit. The tray is very quiet and smooth. Burning a disk is very quiet. Cannot tell which manufacturer, but I’m guessing BTC.
Nero Info:
Drive : DVDRW USB 16X
Type : DVD±R/RW DL Recorder
Firmware Version : A07R
Buffer Size : 2 MB
Date : ?
Serial Number : AD76FD5E
Vendor Specific :

Drive Letter : J:
Mechanism : Tray
Read Speed : 48 , 40 , 32 , 24 , 16 , 8 , 4 X
Write Speed : 48 , 40 , 32 , 24 , 16 , 10 , 4 X
Read CD Text : Yes
Return C2 Pointers : Yes
Read CD-R : Yes
Read CD-RW : Yes
Read DVD-ROM : Yes
Read DVD-RAM : No
Read DVD-R : Yes
Read DVD-RW : Yes
Read DVD+R : Yes
Read DVD+RW : Yes
Read DVD+R DL : Yes
Read Digital Audio : Yes
Read CD+G : No
Read VideoCD : Yes

Write CD-R : Yes
Write CD-RW : Yes
Write DVD-R : Yes
Write DVD-RW : Yes
Write DVD+R : Yes
Write DVD+RW : Yes
Write DVD+R DL : Yes
Write DVD-RAM : No
Buffer Underrun Protection : Yes
Mount Rainier : No
Modes : Packet, TAO, DAO, SAO, RAW SAO, RAW SAO 16, RAW SAO 96, RAW DAO 16, RAW DAO 96

Region Protection Control : RPC II
Region : None
Changes User : 5
Changes Vendor : 4

some of the ones i found were benq 1620. even though all the boxes were the same, there was just one way to tell. on top of the box where they are taped, the benq had io magic tape on top of the tap that was on the box originally. it seems like io magic opened the boxes and then retaped them with the circle tape that has io magic all over it. i bought 2 like this and got both benqs. i even checked 12 others that came outside the store and out of the 12, 7 had benqs and had the io magic tape, 5 had just the regular circle tape without the io magic and they were all magic spin. so it seems that if u can see the words io magic on the tape it might just mean its a benq!! Hope this helps you all!

studmonkey76 may be correct, i tried a magic spin today cear circle tape, total POS, first burn restricted my media to 4x & it was a coaster (unreadable) using the newest version of nero :a put my nec 2500a back in & burnt the same movie at 8x using the same cheapo 4x media :iagree:

i will look for a benq or return this junk :Z

Check for the Firmware near the serial number on the box. Axxx would NOT be the BenQ.

my firmware code is as stated in the post F: AO7F = buyer beware

the firmware sticker on the outside of the box is not a give away about whats inside. both mine had the sticker saying AO7F but the drive inside was the benq. Go by the sticker thing i posted earlier and maybe that might just be the benq giveaway

what is the use? The deal is gone, its not president’s day sale anymore… :sad:

heh, exactly what easy123 said. Besides I’d be very wary of any OEM manufacturer that didn’t have the drives matching what was on the box. I’d really want to be asking myself, “Ok, so why exactly is this drive a BenQ when it’s supposed to be a BTC/Magic Spin drive?”. I’m not saying they are bad drives but it’d certainly be something, for those people that get bad drives out of the box, to take to their Staples and show the people that handle the returns and say, “Uhm, my box didn’t match the drive I got - what’s the deal here?”.