I/O Magic BenQ from CC with FW questions

vbimport

Hi there and sorry for asking the same question 1000 other people have already. I just installed my I/O Magic IDVD16DD from Circuit City yesterday and have had 3 coaster burns so far. My dad is realtively new to burning also and he was over visiting yesterday. He said that he had to upgrade his firmware in his burner (different model) before it worked.

[B]My question is this. I am sure my DVD writer is the BenQ model that everyone is talking about here from the clues and things to look for from the other threads. The firmware version on mine is G7C9 according to NeroInfo and DVDInfo, etc.

1. What is the best way to upgrade to the BenQ Firmware or the “B” firmware?[/B]
  2. And do I need to flash to sequential versions or just to the most recent version works? How do you tell what version is older or newer? Just looking at the dates in “properties”?

I have seen many, many diferent posts…was on here from 9:30 pm last night to past 3:00am. I ahve read so many things that my head is now spinning. I was going to just return the burner but then I read about so many people loving it and that is was a gem to find for the price.

Sorry about the length…basically, trying to find in one spot what I need to do to upgrade my writer.'s firmware.

What media have you used, + or - dvdr. What are your pc specs, nforce drivers or intel ide drivers. Welcome on the forum.

So far all I have tried is the Verbatim DVD-R that my dad gave me along with the writer for Christmas.

I have a Dell 2.4 Ghz 8200…Intel drivers (not the Nvidia ones, read about problems there last night)…512Mb Ram.

We tried to copy one of my DVD movies while he was here just to check if everything worked.

Used DVD Decryptor and DVD Shrink. About 2/3rds of the way into the burn process it gave an error and I hit retry just to see what it did. It took a long time but finally finished and I played the movie on my DVD player on the TV. It played but it had random ghosting across the screen and some blurred pictures.

I then tried an older DVD movie since it was smaller in length (first was SWAT, next was Grumpy Old MEn) and it gave the same errors.

I have wasted 3 discs so far and they are not free for me at the moment lol.

I have tried having the original disc in my original DVD player as well as the writer. About the only difference was the ISO file was created in about half the time when the movie was in the I/O Magic drive.

Thanks again for any help, this is bugging me.

First thing I’d do is change out the Intel driver down to the standard MS one that comes with Windows XP… It’ll be “Standard Dual PCI/IDE Controller…” or something like that. Also, I’d make sure you have an 80 wire IDE cable on for the optical drives and not a 40. If the computer was built by Dell or a regular manufacturer I bet it’s going to have a 40 wire IDE cable and not an 80 wire IDE cable in it. :slight_smile:

Verbatim is great media otherwise. What was the error message you were getting exactly? Also what version of DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter were you using?

And if you follow what Zevia says from the get go make sure you do NOT have any media in the drive when doing the flash. I’d also flash from Safe Mode.

Thanks much, both of you.

Braxas, I am sorry, I mispoke, I do have the standard MS drivers. I was just wasnt thinking straight and was meaning that I didnt have the Nvidia board and/or drivers.

Yes, it is the cable that came with the Dell.

I think I am going to give the firmware a shot first. My brother has had a writer for about 6 months and used it alot with np, but he had to flash his to get it to work (not sure on the model). Then when my dad bought his PC last month the drive that came with it did not act right so my brother told him to flash his and he has had np since.

Think I am going to just try the firmware first and if that doesnt work then I will either take it back to CC for a swap (really, dont want to do this since I have heard the BenQ is so much better than the BTC they sell now.) Or swap teh cables out.

I really, really wish I had copied/pasted the error. From what I remember though it was the same eror all 3 times. I just really hate to waste another disc when I know it will fail. I will give the firmware a shot and then report back with how it goes.

You have a very early version “C” firmware (G7C9) installed that is KNOWN to have a lot of problems. Since the latest version is now “T” (B7T9), your odds are extremely good that a later firmware revision will correct this issue.

Just wanted to say Thanks to everyone for putting up with the redundant questions! Followed the links Zevia posted and it now works like a charm!!

hmmmmm…my second I/O MAGIC drive has the “G” firmware which I’ve upgraded to G7P9…it burns perfectly fine for me with no playback problems… :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

PLEXTOR 708A DVDRW
PIONEER 107D DVDRW
LITEON 811 DVDRW
BENQ 1620 DVDRW (2)
TOSHIBA (2)1612 DVD-ROM
PLEXTOR 48X24X48 CDRW
PENT 4 HT 3.00C, 800 FSB, PENT 4 2.40 533 FSB
ASUS MOBO’s P4P800SE (2)
1GB CRUCIAL PC3200 MEMORY, 1GB CRUCIAL PC2700
WESTERN DIGITAL 36GB RAPTOR HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR 200 GB HARD DRIVE
MAXTOR (2)250 GB HARD DRIVEs