I/O Magic Benq DW1620 Can't Burn DL's

I Have a Benq DW1620 and I Can’t Burn DL’s.
First I had the old firmware B7C9.
I could burn single layer but DL’s failed every time with Nero or ImgBurn. So flashed it with the new firmware B7P9 and I Still have the same problem. I’m using Memorex DVD+R DL. They Worked on my Laptop with Sony Optiarc Slim DVDRW AD-75XX’s (don’t remember which one exactly) one of the early drives from that series until it failed (broke) during burning of around 10-11 disk. So I gave the laptop back to Staples to be fixed on warranty.
Maybe its just a coincident that it broke using those DVD+R’s.
I read it somewhere that those drives brake often.
And maybe those DVDR’s have nothing to do with it, its just the drive itself. But what about BENQ DW1620 I never even tried to record any other DL’s on it. But why the drive could act that way it records one kind but fails to record another.Or maybe its the Lens itself within the drive that is the problem. I’m not sure. Can anyone help answer those questions and tell me what kind of DVDR’s use on those drives???
I Read Other Posts They Didn’t Help.
PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS DILEMMA!!!

The drive is too old and BenQ drives were never good at burning any DL media other than Verbatim.

Either switch to using Verbatim DL media exclusively, or get a new burner.

Try to find some of the older Verbatim DL DVDs that the burn speed says 2.4 to 6X and made in Singapore if you can. That drive is so old(but good) that the other DL DVDs are not in its firmware. Memorex didn’t even have DL DVDs when the BQ was the top dog. ( I think )

Yes, most of the old Nexperia chipped BenQ’s did DL very poorly, that was their one week spot. My 1640 did OK with BSRB firmware but that’s not going to help you much. I second finding some of the older verbatim DL media, it should work OK.
You also might want to try cleaning the lens inside but if it works OK otherwise it’s probably not dirty.
Other option if you have the room is get another burner that does DL well then you can do both.

BTW, if you’re using B7P9 your firmware is still too old. The latest is B7W9:

That’s for DW1620A but I got DW1620 and B7P9 I think is the latest firmware for DW1620.

[QUOTE=RBS;2463072]That’s for DW1620A but I got DW1620 and B7P9 I think is the latest firmware for DW1620.[/QUOTE]
B7W9 is the last firmware for the DW 1620.:wink:

OK. So whats the letter A stands for???
Just Curious???
And with that newest firmware (B7W9) could I be able to record any DL’s or just still the old Verbatim’s 2.4x-6x.???

[QUOTE=RBS;2463088]OK. So whats the letter A stands for???
Just Curious???
And with that newest firmware (B7W9) could I be able to record any DL’s or just still the old Verbatim’s 2.4x-6x.???[/QUOTE]
The DW1620 was never any good for me at burning D/L media, even the best Verbatim did not burn that good for me. Others may have had a different experience. I still have about 5 or 6 DW1620s, they burn + media much better than dash media for me, but I havent used them for over a year now. I use my BenQ DW1640 and DW1655, they both burn D/L media just fine.

So even if I do change the firmware for B7W9 that doesn’t mean I be able to burn other DL’s, Except old Verbatim’s (Maybe)???
Right???

Yep, depends on your luck and the drive but possibly it still wont do that well:o

I’ve been desperately trying to find firmware for my OEM DW1620 ever since I switched to Windows 7. I burn nothing but coasters. Will B7W9 work with an OEM version? I found that thread on how to convert from OEM to retail but all of the links in it appear to be broken.

As long as you have the flasher that can cross flash the OEM ones like you have it should. My first 1620 started out as a Digital Research rebadged 1600, didn’t even do minus at all at that point.
I flashed it to a BenQ 1600 then 1620 and on and on.

Yep, what he said. You need the firmware and the program BQFlasher to cross-flash: