I/O Magic 18X Double-Layer DVD Drive With LightScribe - $19.98 - No Rebates - Staples

This deal is on the 18X not 18X [U]or[/U] 20X [U]or[/U] 16X.
In the past, when they had a sale on 18X and still had some 16X in-stock, they wouldn’t give the 18X sale price on the 16X.
Well, not in my experience.

The $25 off $50 coupon was sent to some Rewards members.
I’m a Rewards member but I didn’t get one.
People thought since a URL connected you to a Staples webpage that everyone got the same coupon code.
I don’t think that’s the case.
I tried to use one today and was told that it had already been used.

They didn’t have the sale price on the shelf but it did ring-up at the sale price.
However, the instant savings didn’t ring-in. I had to show the manager a printout of their webpage.
He didn’t like that there wasn’t a date on the webpage printout.
I had to point out that I was sent from another store that had it at the correct price.
That store had called his store to verify quantity and price. His store was supposed to have one set aside for me but didn’t.
I told him I called their 800 number to find the only two stores that were supposed to have them in my area and that the 800 opperator confirmed the price. He could have gone online for himself to check. He rang it in as a price match to give me the correct price.

I got a Samsung SH-S182M/BEBN
Made in January of 2007
H/W: A
ROM Ver: M

A friend of mine got an LG Multi DVD Writer GSA-H54L
Made in April of 2007
ROM Ver: 1.00

Could anyone offer any advice on which is better / the pros, cons, flaws of each and if alternative firmware is better?

Thanks

[QUOTE=Parato Optimal;1952708]

People thought since a URL connected you to a Staples webpage that everyone got the same coupon code.
[/QUOTE]

My brother used the coupon yesterday and it worked fine , he had already printed 2 copies and gave the other one to a friend of his but they refused to honor it saying the same thing about it was already used :confused:

If I used printscreen and captured a .PNG image of the coupon and printed that image , would that do the trick ?

[QUOTE=minaelromany;1952721]If I used printscreen and captured a .PNG image of the coupon and printed that image , would that do the trick ?[/QUOTE]

The coupon is no longer valid. It’s as simple as that. Once it’s used, it’s dead.

[QUOTE=negritude;1952909]The coupon is no longer valid. It’s as simple as that. Once it’s used, it’s dead.[/QUOTE]

I found another one :smiley:

I think it is a big YMMV because coupons are sent to Staples’ members with unique code numbers and it is a one use only but some store managers would accept it as mentioned at SlickDeals forums

Went to go get one of these drives and a wireless desktop and they wouldn’t let me use the $25 off $50 coupon because the drive has an instant coupon in the $19.98 price. Told the manager to shove it and that they just lost a customer:a. I will never, and I mean [B]never[/B], buy anything from any Staples again.:disagree:

Jhtalisman,

I don’t blame you! Stores place to many stipulations on their stupid coupons. I don’t understand why people drive all over town to save a few $ (gas in my part of town almost $3 a gallon). I purchased Lite-0n lightscribe drive from Newegg for $34.99. Drives without lightscribe are about $27-$30. I received in 2 days. I am always reading on this forum about people saving a few $ by purchasing no name brand dvd or cd blanks. Why bother! I must admit I did use a few of the online $10 Office Max coupons with no problems. You had to purchase at least $20. :iagree:

I noticed that almost everything discounted in the store had a tag with a price “after instant savings” hanging under it. Used my "$25 off $50 coupon on 6pks of 50 jewel cases(no instant savings listed even though they were marked down $10.) Out the door with 300 jewel cases for $21 also used one ink cart.

[QUOTE=Parato Optimal;1952708]This deal is on the 18X not 18X [U]or[/U] 20X [U]or[/U] 16X.
In the past, when they had a sale on 18X and still had some 16X in-stock, they wouldn’t give the 18X sale price on the 16X.
Well, not in my experience.

They didn’t have the sale price on the shelf but it did ring-up at the sale price.
However, the instant savings didn’t ring-in. I had to show the manager a printout of their webpage.
He didn’t like that there wasn’t a date on the webpage printout.
I had to point out that I was sent from another store that had it at the correct price.
That store had called his store to verify quantity and price. His store was supposed to have one set aside for me but didn’t.
I told him I called their 800 number to find the only two stores that were supposed to have them in my area and that the 800 opperator confirmed the price. He could have gone online for himself to check. He rang it in as a price match to give me the correct price.

I got a Samsung SH-S182M/BEBN
Made in January of 2007
H/W: A
ROM Ver: M

A friend of mine got an LG Multi DVD Writer GSA-H54L
Made in April of 2007
ROM Ver: 1.00

Could anyone offer any advice on which is better / the pros, cons, flaws of each and if alternative firmware is better?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

The best thing to get these information you need to do some research yourself there are many thread you can read on this.

[QUOTE=TCAS;1953286]The best thing to get these information you need to do some research yourself there are many thread you can read on this.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I found reviews for the LG55 and a Samsung non-“M” and searched through the forums. I thought I might catch an actual owner of the exact model here who could add any first hand insight.

I bought the same two and asked for opinions of each…No replies. Most off the time TCAS is a lot more helpful.

Both drives are mediocre and few people own that specific LG model, so there’s not much help anyone can give you. LG has the bad habit of coming out with a new drive seemingly almost every week, with wildly varying performance and no consistent firmware support, while the Samsung has a notorious problem with writing the lead-in on DVD-R media, which is only solved by using a special hacked firmware. Neither drive would make anyone here that happy, so basically, you can just close your eyes, go eenie meenie minny moe, and keep whichever one your finger lands on. The rest of us are somewhat indifferent.

No one is ignoring you, we just don’t have any special knowledge or opinions about either drive. The LG drives we love are all older models like the H10 or H22, and the Samsung drives we like are the newer SATA models like the S203. That, of course, doesn’t really help you evaluate these, and we’re sorry about that.

I thank you for your reply. That’s just what I needed to know. I’ll take them both back!:bigsmile:

G_Ivan the Sammy is a great reader (but slow) while the LG is a fast burner.

[QUOTE=ghetocowboy;1951246]Here is the $25 off $50 purchase, buy 3 and use the coupon or buy one and bunch of media to use the coupon

http://e.Staples-deals.com/staplespages/coupon3/default.asp?c=2159795892273228&ch=d7b0507d193daaaa54707c2e70354a5287100062&d=x}rh�lrxyruh~�j~srrgz��97695469}|gztrxhw3��}�rfjfw��)28%23RIIsjomv|uc��ao{!qzrinh|l+vj%24(>2+o{+qszg0�jrti����doyeeprr��90�}gmvhfhr}����|epvjhtpz�~~�joskbklywuxd�~%23[/QUOTE]

Tks bought the unit yeserday for 35.00 at staples store and some ink bill was over 50.00 and used 25.00 rebate nooooooooooo problem.
installed unit and it read verbatim at18x however phillips and an other brand minus disc would only read at 16x my light on drive reads theses disc at 18x when to website no firmware update availabe, will call tech support monday. I did bitset it to dvd-rom. Is there and utility out ther so i can change write straticties etc.

[QUOTE=G_Ivan Awfulitch;1951735]I stopped by Staples today and purchased 2 One was a samsung SH-S182 f/w SBO4 march 07 and the other was a LG GSA-H54l, april 07 and the only thing I could see that might be firmware was Rom ver. 1. Which one should I keep? The other I’ll give away for Christmas.:bigsmile:

Thanks, Ivan[/QUOTE]

this is what my unit says so i guess its an lg

Thanks Rolling56, might try to mount one on my Dyson. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=G_Ivan Awfulitch;1954460]Thanks Rolling56, might try to mount one on my Dyson. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]We have 2 now. One for upstairs and one for down stairs. I take it ya’ll like it?

$20 for the drive, you dont really need to care what drive is inside. For that price, it is even cheaper than a DVD ROM/READER. I missed the sale since I wasn’t home.

[QUOTE=tjajm;1954452]Tks bought the unit yeserday for 35.00 at staples store and some ink bill was over 50.00 and used 25.00 rebate nooooooooooo problem.
installed unit and it read verbatim at18x however phillips and an other brand minus disc would only read at 16x my light on drive reads theses disc at 18x when to website no firmware update availabe, will call tech support monday. I did bitset it to dvd-rom. Is there and utility out ther so i can change write straticties etc.[/QUOTE]

What rebate?

I knew neither was great.
Most models these days have they’re strengths and limitations.
I thought the LG had some probs with prots and the Sammy needs hacked firmware to correct the long lead-in if this is the model that has that prob. I forget if it’s a special CDFreaks firmware from Sammy or another hacked by a user that is the best.

I never burn at the max rate.
My two work horses (a $20 BenQ 1650 and a $5 Litey SHW-160P6S) are 16x max.
They’re non-LightScribe.
I thought it would be interesting to play with LightScribe.

You just can’t ignore a $20 price point for a nonLS drive nevermind one [U]WITH[/U] LightScribe AND [U]18X[/U] to boot.
I suppose for the price of two, I could get a Pioneer or 20X SATA Litey.
With BenQ gone, I think only Lite-On, Pioneer and MAYBE Phillips are still making they’re own product.
Actually, I think some of Phillips are repackaged Lite-Ons.
I may not be as up to date on what’s what as I used to be.