I need to wipe 2 hard drives clean on my laptop, any suggestions as to how?

Im running windows vista home premium 64 bit and unlike Vista Ultimate it doesnt have a seperate recovery section where you can wipe all the data from your drives, my 2 hard drives are set up in Raid 0 stripe. Ive tried to wipe my hardrives from the desktop but obviously it won`t let me wipe a drive that my operating system is on.

I want to wipe both hard drives clean of all data and files then re-install windows, any ideas how i can do this ? If you can recommend some software then i`m all ears.

Hi Invisible Man and welcome to the forum

You can just boot with your Windows Vista CD and chose to do a new installation. The option to format the drives will be available after 2-3 steps.

You have to have the Windows Vista CD as Hemispasm posted.Because a through wipe should delete any restore partitions or MBR.
You might even need the hard drives installation discs after to format the hard drive but I think this software will do that too.
I got my copy on giveawayoftheday & haven’t used it yet.
One of the things it does is create a boot disc that can be used outside of Windows.
So I can’t say it will work but it should.
My version is :Paragon Disc Wiper 8.5 Special Edition.

I think below is the new comparable version.It has a free trial.
The software is : Disk Wiper 10 Personal
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/dw-personal/

If you try it & it works please post the results.

Please make sure that you have the sata drivers for your drives they may be required at some point during the installation. Check and make sure that you also have any drivers that may be required by your motherboard graphics card etc.
See if you can slipstream or add them to the windows installation disc.

[QUOTE=weedougie;2439132]Please make sure that you have the sata drivers for your drives they may be required at some point during the installation. [/QUOTE]I believe they are not required with Vista, but I could be wrong.

To “completely” wipe all data from your drives, you can zero-out the HDD’s which will practically put it back in a factory state. This, depending on the size of your HDD, could take hours to do. The only reason I see to do this is if you think you have some sort of boot virus or of the like and a regular format won’t do the trick. Otherwise, really no need to since a regular “full” format will do the job. The OS should prompt you upon install if you would like to format the HDD.

Killdisk is a free utility that zero’s out your HDD. The paid features are for people that want to completely wipe clean any data and any chance of data recovery from the drive, i.e. government and intelligence agencies.

http://www.killdisk.com/

To completely clear/wipe a drive there is a program produced by ‘White Canyon’ that will over write your hard disk with a selection of Data Patterns. They offer a Trial Version which has no time limit on. the only restriction it has in the Trial Version is that it will only clear 25% of the disc.
Whether this 25% is from Track 0 Sector 0, the Disc Parameter Table I do not know. This I believe should be sufficient to erase a lot of information to allow the user to start using the disc again as any future DATA stored will be overwrite the previously stored information.
I must admit I have not tried the routine from Killdisk, I believe this program possible was not available when I opted to dispose of my early Hard Drives

[QUOTE=Mike G;2443580]To completely clear/wipe a drive there is a program produced by ‘White Canyon’ that will over write your hard disk with a selection of Data Patterns. They offer a Trial Version which has no time limit on. the only restriction it has in the Trial Version is that it will only clear 25% of the disc.[/QUOTE]I’d rather use a free solution like dbanor any Linux Live disc for that purpose instead of some commercial stuff.
And wiping only a small fraction of a HDD you want to sell is a no-go.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2443981]I’d rather use a free solution like dbanor any Linux Live disc for that purpose instead of some commercial stuff.
And wiping only a small fraction of a HDD you want to sell is a no-go.

Michael[/QUOTE]

I second the vote for dban, although dban may nuke your recovery partition as well as your install and data partitions–at which point you would not be able to reinstall windows except from a full retail Windows CD. So be careful.

[QUOTE=billd42;2445303]I second the vote for dban, although dban may nuke your recovery partition as well as your install and data partitions[/QUOTE]If I remember correctly, dban is designed to nuke the entire HDD. Seems to be, what the thread starter wants.

I would not recommend dban at all, if other partitions of the HDD shall remain intact.

Michael