I need to replace Nero recommendations?

vbimport

I cannot install Nero onto my computer without getting errors. Don’t ask me why, the Nero support people can’t
figure it out either, and will be refunding the money I paid for Nero 9 reloaded. My question is what is as good as
Nero or better. I basically , just burn movies, music, and convert MP4’s and burn them to disk. Any
recommendations please?

[QUOTE=Chala;2499455]I cannot install Nero onto my computer without getting errors. Don’t ask me why, the Nero support people can’t
figure it out either, and will be refunding the money I paid for Nero 9 reloaded. My question is what is as good as
Nero or better. I basically , just burn movies, music, and convert MP4’s and burn them to disk. Any
recommendations please?[/QUOTE]

Help can only be given when one provides info for others to read and diagnosis the problem. So what O/S are you running and what firewall and A/V are you using and are you the admin? It sounds like you don’t have privileges to install programs. I would stay away from Roxio as that has known to cause problems with certain apps.

What are you converting mp4’s to? Are you making dvd-video out of them? There is a free program that I recommend for this called AVStoDVD. Since it can use the HCenc encoder, results will be excellent, and in my opinion, better than Nero.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AVStoDVD

It is not an editor though. Just a conversion program that will allow you to make dvd video, with or without menus. If you need a free editor, look at AVIDemux.

AVStoDVD can automatically burn to a disk if you set it to do so. It uses ImgBurn, which is a highly recommended burning program I find far superior to Nero for virtually all my burning needs. www.imgburn.com Read a few of the guides for using the program here: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showforum=4&

There are many free tools that have equaled or surpassed Nero for most functions. The only problem is they are stand alone programs, not all in one packages that some people seem to prefer.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2499477]Help can only be given when one provides info for others to read and diagnosis the problem. So what O/S are you running and what firewall and A/V are you using and are you the admin? It sounds like you don’t have privileges to install programs. I would stay away from Roxio as that has known to cause problems with certain apps.[/QUOTE]
Well coolcolors when I created a thread nobody replied all information was included!

Its a week old clean install, I am the administrator, windows firewall was disabled, AV uninstalled. If your looking to help troubleshoot, please replied to link above.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2499515]What are you converting mp4’s to? Are you making dvd-video out of them? There is a free program that I recommend for this called AVStoDVD. Since it can use the HCenc encoder, results will be excellent, and in my opinion, better than Nero.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AVStoDVD

It is not an editor though. Just a conversion program that will allow you to make dvd video, with or without menus. If you need a free editor, look at AVIDemux.

AVStoDVD can automatically burn to a disk if you set it to do so. It uses ImgBurn, which is a highly recommended burning program I find far superior to Nero for virtually all my burning needs. www.imgburn.com Read a few of the guides for using the program here: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showforum=4&

There are many free tools that have equaled or surpassed Nero for most functions. The only problem is they are stand alone programs, not all in one packages that some people seem to prefer.[/QUOTE]

Yes Kerry i am looking to make dvd-video. I don’t think i need to edit with menus, and oh yeah i already have ImgBurn, wonderful tool! Great job thanks for the valuanle information!

I can’t say you need this for sure but running it couldn’t hurt.
It is the Nero General Clean Tool.
http://www.nero.com/enu/tools-utilities.html#tab4

[QUOTE=cholla;2499757]I can’t say you need this for sure but running it couldn’t hurt.
It is the Nero General Clean Tool.
http://www.nero.com/enu/tools-utilities.html#tab4[/QUOTE]

Hi Cholla how are you? I tried everything, here is my thread in the Nero forums, please take your time look it over and you will see i tried it all.

http://forum.my.nero.com/index.php?showtopic=5600

Hi Chala .I’m fine.
I will start with I have limited experience with Nero.I do have Nero 6 on my older computer with XP & that is the only version I’ve used.
I did try to install Nero 6 on my newer computer with Vista.It completed the install but had compatibility problems.I went through the through clean but still had some problems.
Fortunatly for me I had read on the web there might be problems so I had made a backup with Acronis True Image before I did the install so I ended up using that to restore my Vista OS.
Now I will see if I can suggest some things .Some you will have already tried but try them again.

On XP the “run as” for a file when you right click has a selection "The following user:"
Select it.Leave Administrator as the User Name & type in your Administrator password.

Before doing the following if you have a backup software like Acronis you might want to do a backup.
At least get the erunt utility from here & create a registry backup.
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

You also might see what Nero registration serial number this comes up with if any:

After you download this clean tool:
Try the Nero General Clean Tool from here:
http://www.nero.com/enu/tools-utilities.html
I want you to try these things in Safe Mode.Windows may not let you do all of them in Safe Mode.If not try again in normal mode after you have tried all in Safe Mode.

1. Delete the temp file contents (start run %temp%)
  2. Run the Nero General Clean Tool as administrator.
  3. In C:\Program Files\ delete the Ahead folder & Nero folder if there is one.
  4. In C:\Program Files\Common delete the Ahead folder & Nero folder if there is one.
  5. In C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data delete the Ahead folder & Nero folder if there is one.
  6. In C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data delete the Ahead folder & Nero folder if there is one.
  7. Start\Search\For Files or Folders\All files and folders Searc for Ahead & then Nero.
    Delete any file or folder you find except the various Nero clean tools & other tools you got from Nero techs.Just in case they migh help.
  8. Run\regedit Edit pulldown\Find In Find what search for Ahead & delete any key with an Ahead folder. Also any D-word or string value containg Ahead as long as it pertains to Nero. Meanng if some other software is also named Ahead don’t delete its keys,etc.
  9. Repeat #8 for Nero.
  10. Reboot to Normal mode.
    Here is something I found in one of the links posted in the link you posted.

Go to Microsoft.com and do a search for “Microsoft.NET 3.0 Redistribution Package.” Install it. If you get a message that you already have the most current edition of that file, there is no need to install it.

Go back to Nero.com and download 9.0 from their site. It says “UPDATE” but it is really the full, “Fixed” version o 9.0 Don’t RUN it from their site, download it to the desktop. Then install it from there. Do not install from the disk you purchased, use the on-line version. It will look like you are downloading a Trial Version but when the box comes up with a serial number, get rid of their trial number and input the number that came with your purchased version.

On the Microsoft.NET 3.0 if you get a message saying you have a later version you probably want to keep that.
If all that doesn’t let it install then I suggest getting a refund & purchase other software & use the freeware when possible.
For .mp4 the software suggested by Kerry56 should work.
I might add DVDFlick .
To rip movies I use AnyDVD for decrypting & CloneDVD2 for ripping,compressing,& burning movies.At least most of the time.I occasionally use ImgBurn for some of this.
ImgBurn will also burn music both as Audio CD & .mp3 data disc.
A software named Burrrn is also a good Audio CD burner.
So if you want to just get rid of Nero you really don’t need it.

[QUOTE=cholla;2500068]Hi Chala .I’m fine.
I will start with I have limited experience with Nero.I do have Nero 6 on my older computer with XP & that is the only version I’ve used.
I did try to install Nero 6 on my newer computer with Vista.It completed the install but had compatibility problems.I went through the through clean but still had some problems.
Fortunatly for me I had read on the web there might be problems so I had made a backup with Acronis True Image before I did the install so I ended up using that to restore my Vista OS.
Now I will see if I can suggest some things .Some you will have already tried but try them again.

On XP the “run as” for a file when you right click has a selection "The following user:"
Select it.Leave Administrator as the User Name & type in your Administrator password.

Before doing the following if you have a backup software like Acronis you might want to do a backup.
At least get the erunt utility from here & create a registry backup.
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

You also might see what Nero registration serial number this comes up with if any:

After you download this clean tool:
Try the Nero General Clean Tool from here:
http://www.nero.com/enu/tools-utilities.html
I want you to try these things in Safe Mode.Windows may not let you do all of them in Safe Mode.If not try again in normal mode after you have tried all in Safe Mode.

1. Delete the temp file contents (start run %temp%)
  2. Run the Nero General Clean Tool as administrator.
  3. In C:\Program Files\ delete the Ahead folder & Nero folder if there is one.
  4. In C:\Program Files\Common delete the Ahead folder & Nero folder if there is one.
  5. In C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data delete the Ahead folder & Nero folder if there is one.
  6. In C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data delete the Ahead folder & Nero folder if there is one.
  7. Start\Search\For Files or Folders\All files and folders Searc for Ahead & then Nero.
    Delete any file or folder you find except the various Nero clean tools & other tools you got from Nero techs.Just in case they migh help.
  8. Run\regedit Edit pulldown\Find In Find what search for Ahead & delete any key with an Ahead folder. Also any D-word or string value containg Ahead as long as it pertains to Nero. Meanng if some other software is also named Ahead don’t delete its keys,etc.
  9. Repeat #8 for Nero.
  10. Reboot to Normal mode.
    Here is something I found in one of the links posted in the link you posted.

Go to Microsoft.com and do a search for “Microsoft.NET 3.0 Redistribution Package.” Install it. If you get a message that you already have the most current edition of that file, there is no need to install it.

Go back to Nero.com and download 9.0 from their site. It says “UPDATE” but it is really the full, “Fixed” version o 9.0 Don’t RUN it from their site, download it to the desktop. Then install it from there. Do not install from the disk you purchased, use the on-line version. It will look like you are downloading a Trial Version but when the box comes up with a serial number, get rid of their trial number and input the number that came with your purchased version.

On the Microsoft.NET 3.0 if you get a message saying you have a later version you probably want to keep that.
If all that doesn’t let it install then I suggest getting a refund & purchase other software & use the freeware when possible.
For .mp4 the software suggested by Kerry56 should work.
I might add DVDFlick .
To rip movies I use AnyDVD for decrypting & CloneDVD2 for ripping,compressing,& burning movies.At least most of the time.I occasionally use ImgBurn for some of this.
ImgBurn will also burn music both as Audio CD & .mp3 data disc.
A software named Burrrn is also a good Audio CD burner.
So if you want to just get rid of Nero you really don’t need it.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the reply Cholla. You are very thorough indeed and I appreciate your input. I have tried everything you have suggested except http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
several times, to no avail. I have been in this for 10 days now. I will only try two things more, they are sending me a special disk to try install. If that does not work, clean installing windows. A bit of information, when I bought Nero it was a download link that I purchased, I NEVER had the 9 disk.

If there disk does not work I will try one more clean install before I collect my refund.

I need to ask you, my board drivers are all updated right now. If I reinstall, do I need to reinstall board drivers again? Someone recommended I reinstall board drivers before installing Nero 9 after windows clean install.

Thanks for your reply Cholla!!

Clean Installing Windows is a lot for a company to expect to get their software to install.I would not do it.If you think that will cure other problems created by the install & uninstall of Nero 9 then OK.I sure wouldn’t try another install of Nero 9 after it caused me to need to do a clean Windows install.
I could be that I have a lot of software that takes time to reinstall .Some that was from giveawayoftheday & can’t be reinstalled.So I keep a good backup of my OS with Acronis True Image.ERUNT I posted a link to has saved me a couple of times too. I save a new copy of the registry with it before deleting keys, etc. Like is suggested for completly removing Nero.
Now for the board drivers.It never hurts to save any file or download you think you might need after a clean install.Save it to a different harddrive or media.You can use just a different partition if you feel confident in doing that.
On looking at the problem you have with Nero 9 on the internet .A lot of others have had the same problem.IMO the uninstall either deletes or corrupts a file necessary for a reinstall.Or it’s leaving a registry key or setting behind that is causing the problem.
That is the reason I suggested Magic Jellybean to see if it finds the Nero key with Nero uninstalled.
I had a problem uninstalling a different software where I needed to install a different version of InstallSheild to complete the uninstall.Fortunately someone had already done this & all I needed to do was follow their instructions.The interesting thing about this was with the different version of InstallSheild the problem program was able to correctly install.I’m not saying this would work with Nero 9.
Since so many people are having problems Nero needs to find & fix their software.
I hope the disc Nero is sending you works.IMO it won’t but I hate to be negative so Good Luck.

QUOTE=cholla;2500534]IMO the uninstall either deletes or corrupts a file necessary for a reinstall.Or it’s leaving a registry key or setting behind that is causing the problem.
That is the reason I suggested Magic Jellybean to see if it finds the Nero key with Nero uninstalled.
I had a problem uninstalling a different software where I needed to install a different version of InstallSheild to complete the uninstall.Fortunately someone had already done this & all I needed to do was follow their instructions.The interesting thing about this was with the different version of InstallSheild the problem program was able to correctly install.I’m not saying this would work with Nero 9.
Since so many people are having problems Nero needs to find & fix their software.
I hope the disc Nero is sending you works.IMO it won’t but I hate to be negative so Good Luck.[/QUOTE]

I am not sure what “IMO” means, and specifically what this means> “IMO the uninstall either deletes or corrupts a file necessary for a reinstall.Or it’s leaving a registry key or setting behind that is causing the problem.”

IMO is an abbreviation for In My Opinion.
It’s a fairly common forum abbreviation .Sorry for the confusion.

[QUOTE=cholla;2500616]IMO is an abbreviation for In My Opinion.
It’s a fairly common forum abbreviation .Sorry for the confusion.[/QUOTE]
Sorry have not seen it much (the abbreviation) thanks for clarifying. I have just done clean install 10 days ago so I am not reluctant to do it again. I may try that serial number app, not sure, but will be sure to update you, as soon as I get a disk. How much is that back up program you use?

Again the reason I am so intent to install Nero 9 is that is that I had it installed before on my machine, and that I already paid for it. Thanks!

[QUOTE=Chala;2500625] How much is that back up program you use[/QUOTE]
This is the version I use it was released in 2008.
Acronis® True Image Home® version 11.0 (build 8,101)

This is the current equalivalent version:
Acronis® True Image Home 2010
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

[QUOTE=Chala;2500625]Again the reason I am so intent to install Nero 9 is that is that I had it installed before on my machine, and that I already paid for it. Thanks![/QUOTE]
I understand .I guess it is too late for a refund ?

[QUOTE=cholla;2500643]This is the version I use it was released in 2008.
Acronis® True Image Home® version 11.0 (build 8,101)

This is the current equalivalent version:
Acronis® True Image Home 2010
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/[/QUOTE]
Ok i just use an external drive back up what i need and thats it, the new stuff i get i just back up manually.

[QUOTE=cholla;2500643]I understand .I guess it is too late for a refund ?[/QUOTE]
No they told me if disk does not work, i get my refund.

[QUOTE=cholla;2500068]You also might see what Nero registration serial number this comes up with if any:
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/.[/QUOTE]

Cholla, i thought about running your http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ so i downloaded it and ran it through virustotal www.virustotal.com this is what came up…
a-squared 4.5.0.50 2010.03.12 -
AhnLab-V3 5.0.0.2 2010.03.12 -
AntiVir 8.2.1.180 2010.03.12 SPR/Tool.PassView.XA
Antiy-AVL 2.0.3.7 2010.03.12 -
Authentium 5.2.0.5 2010.03.12 -
Avast 4.8.1351.0 2010.03.12 -
Avast5 5.0.332.0 2010.03.12 -
AVG 9.0.0.787 2010.03.12 -
BitDefender 7.2 2010.03.12 -
CAT-QuickHeal 10.00 2010.03.12 -
ClamAV 0.96.0.0-git 2010.03.12 -
Comodo 4238 2010.03.12 -
DrWeb 5.0.1.12222 2010.03.12 -
eSafe 7.0.17.0 2010.03.11 Win32.SpyWebmoner
eTrust-Vet 35.2.7357 2010.03.12 -
F-Prot 4.5.1.85 2010.03.12 -
F-Secure 9.0.15370.0 2010.03.12 -
Fortinet 4.0.14.0 2010.03.09 -
GData 19 2010.03.12 -
Ikarus T3.1.1.80.0 2010.03.12 -
Jiangmin 13.0.900 2010.03.12 -
K7AntiVirus 7.10.996 2010.03.12 -
Kaspersky 7.0.0.125 2010.03.12 -
McAfee 5917 2010.03.11 -
McAfee+Artemis 5917 2010.03.11 -
McAfee-GW-Edition 6.8.5 2010.03.12Riskware.Tool.PassView.XA
Microsoft 1.5502 2010.03.12 -
NOD32 4939 2010.03.12 -
Norman 6.04.08 2010.03.12 -
nProtect 2009.1.8.0 2010.03.12 -
Panda 10.0.2.2 2010.03.11 -
PCTools 7.0.3.5 2010.03.12 -
Prevx 3.0 2010.03.12 -
Rising 22.38.04.03 2010.03.12 -
Sophos 4.51.0 2010.03.12 -
Sunbelt 5840 2010.03.12 -
Symantec 20091.2.0.41 2010.03.12 -
TheHacker 6.5.2.0.231 2010.03.12 -
TrendMicro 9.120.0.1004 2010.03.12 -
VBA32 3.12.12.2 2010.03.12 -
ViRobot 2010.3.12.2224 2010.03.12 -
VirusBuster 5.0.27.0 2010.03.12 -

Is this program clean?

I’ve never had any problems with it.
I’ve never used virustotal .If I understand the way it works is it runs a file through several of the antivirus softwares or it may just check their sites for any reports they have on this software.
The report you posted showed that 3 antivirus softwares had found something at sometime.Some of the main ones didn’t though.I guess any software can be from an unsafe software site & have problems.
If F-Secure ,Kaspersky,NOD32,TrendMicro, & AVG 9.0.0 in the list didn’t find any problems that would be all I needed to consider a software safe.
On my own OS I usually scan any software .exe with AVG,Malware Bytes Ani Malware & SpyBot S & D before I run it. These have no problem with the Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder v2.0.1.
I just wanted you to use it to see if there is still a Nero 9 key on your OS.

On your post before this one were you asking how I use AcronisTI ?

[QUOTE=cholla;2500934]I’ve never had any problems with it.
I’ve never used virustotal .If I understand the way it works is it runs a file through several of the antivirus softwares or it may just check their sites for any reports they have on this software.
The report you posted showed that 3 antivirus softwares had found something at sometime.Some of the main ones didn’t though.I guess any software can be from an unsafe software site & have problems.
If F-Secure ,Kaspersky,NOD32,TrendMicro, & AVG 9.0.0 in the list didn’t find any problems that would be all I needed to consider a software safe.
On my own OS I usually scan any software .exe with AVG,Malware Bytes Ani Malware & SpyBot S & D before I run it. These have no problem with the Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder v2.0.1.
I just wanted you to use it to see if there is still a Nero 9 key on your OS.

On your post before this one were you asking how I use AcronisTI ?[/QUOTE]

No problem Cholla your very kind, and i thank you for responding. Its probably very safe i was concerned cause the McAfee-GW-Edition engine found something. It’me probably being paronoid. Thanks again!

Cholla…

I tried a Windows XP clean install, I installed the following prior to installing Nero 9… Board and BIOS drivers. Adobe Flash Player, .net Framework, and a couple of windows updates. I tried to install Nero nine three times, three times it failed including one BSOD. I am baffled.

What does this say to you? My disc has not arrived yet. I am not sure I want Nero 9 at this point as much as wanting to know why this won’t work on a clean windows xp install. Is there anyone in this world you think that can provide me with this answer? I even would be willing to pay!

@Chala ,I.m also confused as to why Nero 9 isn’t installing with the fresh Windows XP install.
I take that the only software that is on Windows fresh install is what you posted above.
The registry should be clean of any Nero entries with a fresh install.
The only thing I can think of is something has corrupted the downloaded install.Even the one you downloaded the second time.
I was waiting to see if the disc will allow an install.
The only other thing you might ask a tech at Nero is if Nero 9 uses or needs a certain version of InstallSheild.( it may not even use this)

[QUOTE=cholla;2501970]@Chala ,I.m also confused as to why Nero 9 isn’t installing with the fresh Windows XP install.
I take that the only software that is on Windows fresh install is what you posted above.
The registry should be clean of any Nero entries with a fresh install.
The only thing I can think of is something has corrupted the downloaded install.Even the one you downloaded the second time.
I was waiting to see if the disc will allow an install.
The only other thing you might ask a tech at Nero is if Nero 9 uses or needs a certain version of InstallSheild.( it may not even use this)[/QUOTE]

Cholla…

Bad news, the disc arrived to today, when i tried to install Nero it got up to 90% before an error message saying cannot complete installation. Many of the apps are installed i am afraid to uninstall, cause i think they work. I did try again without uninstalling and i got a BSOD with auto restart. Not sure what to do.

Back to my question. Is there anyone in this world you think that can provide me with this answer? I even would be willing to pay!