I need to cut a section of a DVD and save as .MPG file

vbimport

I am trying to make my own Vista Ultimate DreamScene. The DreamMaker software requires a video file of 30 sec. in .MPG format.

1. Does anyone know if the MPEG2 format will also work?

2. What program should I use to cut a section of a movie?

I want to use the cave escape from Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. :cool:

Thanks

[QUOTE=Dunkel;2026249]I am trying to make my own Vista Ultimate DreamScene. The DreamMaker software requires a video file of 30 sec. in .MPG format.

1. Does anyone know if the MPEG2 format will also work?

2. What program should I use to cut a section of a movie?

I want to use the cave escape from Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. :cool:

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Yes, regular MPG ‘is’ MPEG2 usually.
If you are trying to cut a section off of a DVD, DVDShrink can do that (in Re-Author mode, using the Start/End function)…down to each frame.
It will save as a VOB file, but you can simply rename the VOB file to MPG and it should be what you need.

I did the DVD Shrink thing. I think it saved as an ISO.

Can I change the ISO image to MPG?

Open Shrink, then hit Control I. This will let you open the ISO file with Shrink. Hit Backup, then in the Select Backup Target line, change from ISO to Hard Disk Folder. Hit Ok. This will give you a Video_TS folder with the vob files in it.

You can rename the vob files to mpeg, which should work. Or you can run them through Vob2Mpg, which will definitely work to change them over to mpeg.

I’m up to the point where you say to rename the file. The file I need to rename is VTS_01_1 it does not have a VOB extension or any extension for that matter. Right clicking and checking properties does show it as a VOB file but there is no way to change it to a .mpg

I would like to use this method so is there something I’m missing?

I got the Vob2Mpg program to work.

Thanks a bunch. I just made a DreamScene of Selma’s dance in “From Dusk Till Dawn”.

It took me a few days to work through this whole process. I had multiple questions posted on multiple websites and it seams that nobody has done this.

I’ll try to submit a write up in a few days to describe the process from start to finish.

Thanks again.

[QUOTE=Dunkel;2026335]I got the Vob2Mpg program to work.

Thanks a bunch. I just made a DreamScene of Selma’s dance in “From Dusk Till Dawn”.

It took me a few days to work through this whole process. I had multiple questions posted on multiple websites and it seams that nobody has done this.

I’ll try to submit a write up in a few days to describe the process from start to finish.

Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

Glad you got VOB2MPG to work for you.
As for renaming the VOB to an MPG file, it’s as simple as it gets… You just renam the VTS_01_1.VOB into VTS_01_1.MPG… can’t get any easier
IMHO :wink:

Unless you have ‘Hide Extensions for Known File Types’ clicked on in Windows Explorer…