I need more room!

vbimport

Hey I have a Dell dimension 4700. I filled up all my hard drive and dvd rom slots. I need a new Tower case. So I can install more hard drives and DVD rom’s. any suggestion? which ones or great for a Cheap price. I don’t want noting really cheap and break down. Just something that will get the job done and have room to expand at a good price.

Cases are hard to pick out for others. Everyone’s taste differs.

Do you need a full tower case or a mid-tower? Do you need one with a power supply or not? And a clue to your price range would help as well.

If you need an inexpensive case that is sturdy, and has no power supply, you might want to look at this Compucase at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811121019
It has a 120mm exhaust fan, which should be quieter than most 80mm fans, and has room for 5 internal drives and 4 slots for optical drives. This particular Compucase is a reworking of their old LX-6A19 case, which is a very fine case. I have two of the LX-6A19’s and have no complaints on build quality.

If you need a power supply as well, you should look at the Antec and InWin models at Newegg.com for a good combo. Assuming you are in the US. Newegg doesn’t ship outside the US as far as I am aware.

[quote=Kerry56;2071297]Cases are hard to pick out for others. Everyone’s taste differs.

Do you need a full tower case or a mid-tower? Do you need one with a power supply or not? And a clue to your price range would help as well.

If you need an inexpensive case that is sturdy, and has no power supply, you might want to look at this Compucase at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811121019
It has a 120mm exhaust fan, which should be quieter than most 80mm fans, and has room for 5 internal drives and 4 slots for optical drives. This particular Compucase is a reworking of their old LX-6A19 case, which is a very fine case. I have two of the LX-6A19’s and have no complaints on build quality.

If you need a power supply as well, you should look at the Antec and InWin models at Newegg.com for a good combo. Assuming you are in the US. Newegg doesn’t ship outside the US as far as I am aware.[/quote]

Sorry forgot to put price range. any where from $80-$150 w/power supply. It doesn’t have to be colorful. It could be sold black for all I care. I just want more room to expand. as well keeping the computer cool. as for full or mid case tower??? I have no damn clue. all I know is my computer is a dell and it’s pretty big. LOL… sorry I know I just sounded like a Straight up noob…

Yea This one is perfect. Just would like a power supply and some fans. They don’t heat up do they? The only thing I worry about is when I have all my slots fulled up. I just don’t want it to over heat.

This case should have good airflow. Mine have a space in front of the hard drives where you can mount a second 120mm fan to blow air over the hard drives. I took out the original fans in mine and replaced them with Yate Loon 120mm’s which are a good compromise on noise/airflow. The original ones weren’t too bad on noise, I just wanted to tinker and see if I could come up with something better.

I still think you might be able to come up with a combo from Antec or Inwin that will meet your needs and give you a good quality psu.

If you get this Compucase, I’d suggest getting a name brand power supply…some of the ones I can recommend are the Antec Earthwatts line, any Seasonic, Corsair, PC Power and Cooling and Fortron Source. Of those, the Fortron Source psu’s seem to be the least expensive for a good level of power, say 400-450 watt. I’ve been using this 450w psu for a couple of years now and have no complaints on power output. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104954
It is not the quietest psu under load however.

If you can afford one, I’d suggest Seasonic or Corsair.

the are lots of good cases i can’t tell you which one it would take me lots of time including them all best option go from store to store ask for brochure that would give you an idea take it from there, keep us posted, best regards.

You can check this one out, it is one of the ones I have.

http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?act=detail&id=2908

ditto

I say go for one like i have. Plenty of room to expand. If you get a case that holds 4-6 and you get more drives then you need more room. Here’s what i use > http://club.cdfreaks.com/1863760-post139.html

I need another Armor actually. There’s never enough room it seems like.

[quote=Bob;2072938]I say go for one like i have. Plenty of room to expand. If you get a case that holds 4-6 and you get more drives then you need more room. Here’s what i use > http://club.cdfreaks.com/1863760-post139.html

I need another Armor actually. There’s never enough room it seems like.[/quote]

Holy Shit bro. Thats too much. LOL…

Let my ask this. So I can switch everything thats in my computer into one these Cases right?

That’s a different question entirely. Looking on the net, it seems that your Dimension 4700 dates from 2004-2005 era. The Cnet review shows the best pictures of the computer and it looks like a standard ATX layout. [B]Link to Cnet review[/B].

Without looking at it in person though, I can’t tell if the motherboard is made in a standard ATX configuration or not. And you will almost certainly have an interesting time getting the wiring hooked up correctly for the power switch, reset switch, hdd led, etc. Standoffs for the motherboard might be a little different too, but I have my doubts about that.

Many modern Dell computers use an entirely different standard, called BTX. It was developed in response to the heat produced by the Intel Prescott processors, and was never very popular with anyone else. If the pictures I linked are like your computer, you don’t have a BTX case now.

[quote=Kerry56;2073176]That’s a different question entirely. Looking on the net, it seems that your Dimension 4700 dates from 2004-2005 era. The Cnet review shows the best pictures of the computer and it looks like a standard ATX layout. [B]Link to Cnet review[/B].

Without looking at it in person though, I can’t tell if the motherboard is made in a standard ATX configuration or not. And you will almost certainly have an interesting time getting the wiring hooked up correctly for the power switch, reset switch, hdd led, etc. Standoffs for the motherboard might be a little different too, but I have my doubts about that.

Many modern Dell computers use an entirely different standard, called BTX. It was developed in response to the heat produced by the Intel Prescott processors, and was never very popular with anyone else. If the pictures I linked are like your computer, you don’t have a BTX case now.[/quote]

Thats it. thats my computer. So I’m screwed? damn… If I Need to Start from scratch Ill have to buy all my software man that could really expensive really quick… I guess the answer is start saving? LOL

No, you’re not screwed over. I’m saying your Dell is old enough that it uses the standard ATX configuration, just looking at the pictures. Your components “should” fit into a regular ATX case.

Most motherboards differ a little bit on the configuration of the wiring headers for the power switch, reset switch, led for hdd ide activity, power led and the speaker. This is normal. You’ll just have to see if the leads on the wiring included with a new case match up well to what is on the Dell motherboard. Sometimes you have to improvise, and moving an oem motherboard into a generic case, you are more likely to find this situation.

Luckily for you, all the modern Dell motherboards use standard power supplies. Back in the PIII days, they did not.

My only worry on this particular move is the configuration of the holes in the motherboard, and how it fits onto the standoffs of the case. It should be standard ATX or MicroATX…a regular ATX case can accommodate either of those. As I said before, I doubt this motherboard is non-standard. It would increase costs for Dell.