I need help with video graphic cards

ok i have a dell XPS 410 with these features Intel[R] core[TM]2 CPU
6420@2’13GHZ 213 GHZ, 300 GB of RAM i have a NVIDA Geforce 9500 GT card now my question is this just within the last week i noticed that my most simple games like zombies vs. plants are running slow or even shuddering while in play i am not a big gamer but i do try to play some once and awhile so i guess my question is in two parts 1 how can i upgrade this old unit to at least last me another year of some good play of the new games 2 should i consider getting a game consules if it’s worth the money to upgrade i have heard a lot of stuff about a GT220 + and - so if someone can give me a idea which way to start because i don’t know if my vid card is going bad or something in my computer is because like i said it just started happening a week ago i know i have a lot of questions but i just don’t know where to start

spboyd1
I think you’ll get better answers in the Hardware subforum, so I’m going to move your thread in there.

One thing you might mention is your budget. It might be possible to upgrade the video card and get some more service from this rig, but GT220 looks pretty low on the totem pole for current cards. You also need to consider the power supply. The one in the Dell 410 is rated at 375w (when it was new). That makes it marginal for a lot of the good video cards available now.

Without knowing how much your going to spend makes it hard to give a recommendation for a good GPU. Also as Kerry says that card your looking at is already out to pasture and you should look at something if possible in the GTX460 range it will cost you more a bit but you can use this in the new rig thus saving you extra but giving you Directx 11 that is being used in newer games now. PS becomes a critical factor in a good rig and providing enough power to all your hardware when power draw is needed.

spboyd1 sent me a note saying he has $400 to $500 available to spend on upgrades, and since this is important information needed by the rest of the members before they can pitch in and help, I’ve posted the information for him in this thread.

Personally, with that much money to spend, I might be tempted to build a new computer, but even if spboyd1 doesn’t want to do that, this amount is more than enough for a good video card + a new, more powerful psu.

Give him some suggestions guys. :slight_smile:

I will second that at looking at the GTX460, a great card and you can usually find it running around the $170.00 range now.

You will need to upgrade the PSU also, the 350W just isn’t enough.

Thanks for that info Kerry

The $170.00 and another $100.00 for a good PSU should get him going just fine.

So here’s an awesome deal for a Zotac 460: ZOTAC ZT-40404-10P SYNERGY GeForce GTX 460 $165 with a $25 rebate, I would jump on that, for $140 its a steal.

For the PSU, here’s two choices: SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W for $60. Or go with a little more power and more power connectors if you think you might in the future build your own PC and possibly run two video cards: SeaSonic SS-650HT 650W at $70 its just $10 more.

hey just checked in to see what kind of help you guys a giving and i must say it is a lot of good info here in my search for some of the stuff [graphic cards and psu] some site said i should upgrade my processors also because the graphic card can only run as good as the processors will allow is that true and i will send thank you to all who sent me info thanks for all so far

[QUOTE=spboyd1;2549517]hey just checked in to see what kind of help you guys a giving and i must say it is a lot of good info here in my search for some of the stuff [graphic cards and psu] some site said i should upgrade my processors also because the graphic card can only run as good as the processors will allow is that true and i will send thank you to all who sent me info thanks for all so far[/QUOTE]

Don’t forget the RAM upgrade does help as well. As well as the O/S running in optimum specs would help as well. I don’t know what version of O/S your running but I have Win7x64 Ult and it works well for 64 bit process but some older xp programs won’t run well with Win7x64.

some site said i should upgrade my processors also because the graphic card can only run as good as the processors will allow is that true

To a point yes , but with the GPU in the video card handling most of the work your core 2 will do fine for now on a lot of the games.

Then if you choose to upgrade more or as Kerry mentioned perhaps build you a new machine you will have a good start for it.

My last good build ran me around $600.00, but I had some parts already.

If I were you spboyd1, I would just do the gpu+PSU upgrade. The only other thing is to have a total of 4GB of RAM. But because your cpu is on an older platform its not worth upgrading. The cool thing is the PSU and GPU can be re-used in your next computer, especially if you intend to build one.

I’d say that around Radeon 4850 would be what the CPU will be able to max out without being the bottleneck. You have a great deal over at ncixus.com for the moment on such a card. Getting more than that with your current setup is mostly a waste of money without switching CPU, Motherboard, Memory and PSU…
//Danne