I need help with my Benq1640

Hi everyone, I just recently installed a Benq1640 dvd burner. I removed my old dvd-rom, and replaced it with my new dvd burner. I made sure that everything was plugged in and I placed the Benq1640 in slave mode (my cd burner is in master mode). I turned on my computer and it recognized it and the little bubble “New Hardware” appeared. However, when I place a blank dvd-r, the icon in “My Computer” that is the dvd drive, says “CD drive”. I opened the device manager and uninstalled my old dvd-rom, but it reappears everytime I reboot. What am I doing wrong? (I use Windows XP SP2, and I even updated the firmware for my new dvd drive.)

Thx for your help guys :slight_smile:

So… Is there a problem burning things?

Welcome :slight_smile:

This is the normal XP behaviour happening with all DVD burner, nothing to worry about.

Really? It’s normal? Whenever I drop a file in the drive, it tells me to insert a blank cd… I can’t burn the blank dvds. (I use taiyu yuden dvds)

Why not try switching the BENQ to master.

Try uninstalling the secondary IDE controller in the device manager. then reboot. note: only do this is you are running the MS ide driver, otherwise you would have to reboot a couple times.

Just to expand on what ala42 said if you insert a blank DVD+R disc in the drive it will show as a CD drive, If you insert a blank DVD-R it will show as a DVD Rom. You could try deleting the IDE channel you drive is on through device manager and restart your computer. Might help. :slight_smile:

EDIT:eric93se beat me to punch.:wink:

That doesn’t help if he’s trying to use XPs burn engine, which doesn’t support DVD-R. Try burning with Nero or some other app man. :slight_smile:

Q.

I was simply stating what the drive shows as in Windows when an empty DVD+R or -R disc is inserted.:wink:

However, when I place a blank dvd-r, the icon in “My Computer” that is the dvd drive, says “CD drive”.

I wasn’t really replying to your post crossg, more a general reply that reinstalling the controller/drive wont cure the problem. How to cure the mislabeling in My Computer? I guess he could remove the drive letter for the burner via disk manager. :wink: In either case, the solution is to use a real burning prog.

Q.

Hehe, I also misread the statment about dropping the file and took it as it would not read a DVD. RTFQ. :bigsmile: :doh:

Whenever I drop a file in the drive, it tells me to insert a blank cd… I can’t burn the blank dvds

:slight_smile: Thanks a lot for your help guys! I used the Nero cd that came with the dvd drvie. I had no idea that you HAD to use that in order to burn a dvd. Thanks again!