I need help please

Hello all…I thought I was capable of replacing my internal CD-RW/DVD rom with a DVD-RW/CD-rom…I found a Sony DRU-190A for a good price and decided to buy it…anyway I had read several forums on how to do it and it seemed simple…boy was I wrong, my computer has not been the same

I need help can some one Please help me !!

I replaced my CD RW drive with a DVD RW drive…my original was on cable select but when I installed the new drive I installed it as a master…I did not think that this would be a problem…now I have no sound after trying the old drive again and swithching the new drive to cable select I still have no sound

I trouble shooted my system to no active mixers installed??I tried restoring my PC to before I installed the new drive,I have downloadedall the current CODECS and programs…I even read about removing a progarm line 18 or 22 I believe( was not even going to attempt that)

I have several other problems now but I need to start some where…the really weird thing is when I tried the burner to make sure it worked it burned with sound … wierd? I cant even listen to music stored on my HD or streaming music

I have a Dell with pentium 4- 2.8 GH?
80 GB HD with 68 GB available to me
my HD is a SATA but my original drive was an ATA/EIDE connection

I am probably leaving out info if you let me know I can get any info any one might need

a dvd burner installation is generally easy… should not have messed with anything on your pc as it’s pretty straight forward.

but here is something easy for me to tell you… if that pc is fairly new odds are it’s restore files are located on a D partition on your original hard drive that came with the pc (if not you should have a “factory restore cd” ) use this and format the system and it will return it to just like it was new state… basically to load those files on the D partion thing i was talking about… theres a key you have to press when you see that bios screen… it will probably say on the screen somewhere.

but you said you have a SATA hard drive now and the original was IDE? … if thats true then odds are your using some sort of original Windows XP disc… if thats the case boot from it… format your drive from there and then reinstall windows… this way your system will be back to a clean state and everything should be in good running order.

before doing that though i would recommend backing up any important data you have on the pc as it will delete everything on your pc and restore it to it’s state when it was brand new.

Hello Scott,

Did your old drive have a 3rd (small) cable attached, in additiion to the molex power, and IDE ribbon cables? It used to be common that the audio was connected this way. If you did not connect the audio cable to the new drive, or reconnect it to the old drive, you will have the problem you are seeing.

WCB

Hi,[QUOTE=ScottD54;1973603]…

I replaced my CD RW drive with a DVD RW drive… (…) …now I have no sound after trying the old drive again and swithching the new drive to cable select I still have no sound
[/QUOTE]please check the properties of the drive in device manager. There should be a tab present to enable “digital CD playback” (or similar). Make sure, this option is enabled.

Michael

[quote=NBR;1974055]a dvd burner installation is generally easy… should not have messed with anything on your pc as it’s pretty straight forward.

but here is something easy for me to tell you… if that pc is fairly new odds are it’s restore files are located on a D partition on your original hard drive that came with the pc (if not you should have a “factory restore cd” ) use this and format the system and it will return it to just like it was new state… basically to load those files on the D partion thing i was talking about… theres a key you have to press when you see that bios screen… it will probably say on the screen somewhere.

[B]but you said you have a SATA hard drive now and the original was IDE? … if thats true then odds are your using some sort of original Windows XP disc… if thats the case boot from it… format your drive from there and then reinstall windows… this way your system will be back to a clean state and everything should be in good running order.[/B]

before doing that though i would recommend backing up any important data you have on the pc as it will delete everything on your pc and restore it to it’s state when it was brand new.[/quote]

My HD is a SATA connection my CD drive is a ATA/EIDE connection…does that make sense??also I did not get a system restore CD, but I have a restore feature on my computer…also my HD is on my “C” drive and my original CD was on my “d” drive

Yes, I have windows XP home…I tried reinstalling my old drive in my PC and I had the same thing…also when I go to my sound card eveything is enabled and working properly when I ran the troubleshooter

Also there was no audio cable attached to my old drive…I keep getting a “no active mixers” installed…but like I was saying when I burned a disc I had sound on the disc, wierd huh?

[QUOTE=ScottD54;1974330]
Also there was no audio cable attached to my old drive…[/quote]Such is not needed any more (there are many drives that don’t have that connector) since the audio data is transferred via the data cable.

I keep getting a “no active mixers” installed…but like I was saying when I burned a disc I had sound on the disc, wierd huh?
Some configuration problem. Have you tried, what I suggested in post #4?

Michael

[quote=mciahel;1974344]Such is not needed any more (there are many drives that don’t have that connector) since the audio data is transferred via the data cable.
Some configuration problem. Have you tried, what I suggested in post #4?

Michael[/quote]

Yes, I have the playback in CD digital box checked so that it will allow this…I have read alot about this problem and have yet to still fiquare out that is why I decided to ask for help

Some additional informations is needed:

1. OS and version
  2. Sound card

the settings that Mciahel reference above are not present in windows Vista.

You might want to open your sound manager (speaker icon in the system tray) and verify that someting is not muted. I really can not provide more detail with out knowing the details above.

WCB

[quote=wcbncal;1974925]Some additional informations is needed:

1. OS and version
  2. Sound card

the settings that Mciahel reference above are not present in windows Vista.

You might want to open your sound manager (speaker icon in the system tray) and verify that someting is not muted. I really can not provide more detail with out knowing the details above.

WCB[/quote]

Now here is where my lack of computer knowledge hurts me…by OS do you mean Windows XP?and if so its 2005 version

and as for my sound card I went into the manager program and I can not find what type of sound card I have

as for the sound manager my speaker disappeared when I installed the new drive, but I did get to it thru my device manager and it says the system is operating properly, but I have “no active mixers”

Any help you or any one can give me would be greatly appreciated…if thats not the right information let me know how I can get the right info

Hello Scott,

Yes, Windows XP SP2 would appear to be correct. The dissapearence of the speaker icon would seem to indicate that the drivers did not reinstall correctly when you changed the drive. You can try a reinstall by opening the device manager, and selecting the drive. Then, right click to open the properties box. select “uninstall”, and confirm the operation.

Then (still in the device manager) select “My computer” at the top. Right click and select “scan for new hardware”. You may need to perform the same procedure for the sound.

WCB

[quote=wcbncal;1975678]Hello Scott,

Yes, Windows XP SP2 would appear to be correct. The dissapearence of the speaker icon would seem to indicate that the drivers did not reinstall correctly when you changed the drive. You can try a reinstall by opening the device manager, and selecting the drive. Then, right click to open the properties box. select “uninstall”, and confirm the operation.

Then (still in the device manager) select “My computer” at the top. Right click and select “scan for new hardware”. You may need to perform the same procedure for the sound.

WCB[/quote]

Thanks for your help…it appears that everything is working properly in my system’s check, but I did notice a box that said “driver enabled but not started” … how can I fix that, that would probably cure my problem?

Also before I found this I deleted somelines from a properties menu in audio they were

mciavi32.dll
mcicda.dll
mciqz32.dll
mciseq.dll
mciwave.dll

How can I get these back now…I really screwed up my PC I think

Try to re-install the driver from the properties menu.

Quote:
"Also before I found this I deleted somelines from a properties menu in audio they were

mciavi32.dll
mcicda.dll
mciqz32.dll
mciseq.dll
mciwave.dll"

Why?

Try the following:

Open Device manager, scroll down to "sound, video, and game controllers"
and click the +. Scroll down to “media control devices”, and right click the entry. Then click “scan for hardware changes”. If you are lucky, this will restore the drivers.

If that does not work, then try “update driver”, and follow the wizard’s prompts.

WCB

[quote=wcbncal;1976244]Quote:
"Also before I found this I deleted somelines from a properties menu in audio they were

mciavi32.dll
mcicda.dll
mciqz32.dll
mciseq.dll
mciwave.dll"

Why?

Try the following:

Open Device manager, scroll down to "sound, video, and game controllers"
and click the +. Scroll down to “media control devices”, and right click the entry. Then click “scan for hardware changes”. If you are lucky, this will restore the drivers.

If that does not work, then try “update driver”, and follow the wizard’s prompts.

WCB[/quote]

Thank you for all your help…I now have sound and all my files back on my computer…I read about a total restore without a disc…I did that now everything is back and working properly, again thank you for taking the time to help me