I need help deciding please

vbimport

I am getting ready to but either CLONE CD or ALCOHOL 120.

Cant decide between them.

My intent is to make copied of my games like Sims, and Halo so that they do not get worn out [getting lots of scratches and im worried] .

I understand that Clone cd can make a back up and play it from the PC without a disc. Does ALCOHOL also do this?

I read somewhere [but not sure if true] that ALCOHOL can make a backup of these games that will play from the backup disc without any emulation. Is this true?

Will someone share with me whatever good / bad points are in these programs? I just dont want to buy them both.

Or id there a different software I should consider?

[QUOTE=selkov;2003765]
I understand that Clone cd can make a back up and play it from the PC without a disc. Does ALCOHOL also do this?
[/QUOTE]
CloneCD hasn’t been updated for ages to create a working backup of your game so you can delete it from your list.
Alcohol can do this but it’s depending on the used protection and version and it’s updated on a regular basis.

[QUOTE=selkov;2003765]
I read somewhere [but not sure if true] that ALCOHOL can make a backup of these games that will play from the backup disc without any emulation. Is this true?
[/QUOTE]
DVD based games aren’t working without emulation independent of the software you use. For CD based games which are really rare nowadays it depends on the protection and hardware but I would say these cases are so rare it’s also a no except for old games.

[QUOTE=selkov;2003765]
Or id there a different software I should consider?
[/QUOTE]
In your case with backing up games like sims and halo you can use alcohol 52% create an image with the right profile use it in alcohol’s virtual drive and it’s for free. It may also be possible creating ‘1:1’ copies depending on your hardware and if the sims discs are good old cd based games.

So find out the used protection via a scanner or use our copy protection list and then use one of the guides in our tutorial section dealing with the protection which can be found here.

p.s. When you want to spend some money I would go for daemon tools pro advanced http://www.disc-soft.com/products/dtproAdv which in my opinion and personal experience is the queen of the backup programs at the moment. Although it has no burning feature but supports most used protections on games like tages, safedisc, securom, starforce and also the recent versions of them not like their competitors.

It may also be possible creating ‘1:1’ copies depending on your hardware and if the sims discs are good old cd based games.

What do I need in the way of hardware?
How can I check what I have?

Find out which protection is used on your cd based games you want to backup how this can be done is described ihere and post your result here. Then we can take a look if it’s possible creating ‘1:1’ copies. Then we can take a look at your hardware.

[QUOTE=selkov;2004097]It may also be possible creating ‘1:1’ copies depending on your hardware and if the sims discs are good old cd based games.

What do I need in the way of hardware?
How can I check what I have?[/QUOTE]

As kalas says post what the protection is and it might help to post what writer you have also but its getting a lot more difficult making a backup of modern games with or without emulation…
clonecd last update 2007-10-28 and alcohol last update 2007-12-22 are the 2 most popular but have not been updated as much lately but i see kalas has linked another one i have not tried and he would know how good it is so maybe worth giving it a try …

btw how you doing kalas nice to see you are still going about