I need firmware upgrade for Ricoh media at 8X!

I love Ricoh dyed media and NEC can only write at 6X while other 8X writers write at 8X!

nec! you listen to me! give us a firmware upgrade that can write ricoh (dvd+r:ricohjpn-r01-002) at 8x!

thank you very much!

Is it really fair to demand a media that is officially rated 4x media be burnt at 8x?..

Please don’t type everythin in caps, that’s considered shouting… something we don’t like to see…

Edit:

Sorry, wrong info!

Feel free to e-mail NEC and ask them :slight_smile:

And you really don’t need it, you would just like that feature.

But I prefer not to burn media any faster than it’s rated speed, although based on my testing, 6x burning doesn’t seem to reduce write quality. I’m sure 8x would a bit, but not significantly enough to worry about.

I remember back in the days of my LiteOn 24x cdrw, I used to burn 12X rated cdrs at 24x. The burn would go through fine but the quality was reduced a lot.

Originally posted by j00k
I remember back in the days of my LiteOn 24x cdrw, I used to burn 12X rated cdrs at 24x. The burn would go through fine but the quality was reduced a lot.
On the side note, I remember the time I was writing cd media at 2X and I paid over $1,000 for the NEC cd writer… And I was very happy for the fact that I can write cd :iagree:

Originally posted by giggy
[B]I love Ricoh dyed media and NEC can only write at 6X while other 8X writers write at 8X!

nec! you listen to me! give us a firmware upgrade that can write ricoh (dvd+r:ricohjpn-r01-002) at 8x!..[/B]

I can see why you want 8x support on RICOHJPNR01 with your 2500A, especially when the 6x burns turn out like this! (see attached image below)

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
…BTW, I don’t think you’d want to write at 8x on a 4x disc, as the quality of the burned discs would most probably be quite low (if not unreadable). I guess that write quality is more important than speed, isn’t it?

Many people can already burn RICOHJPNR01 at 8x with very good quality using their 811/851 drives, so I don’t see this request as anything unreasonable. Maybe Herrie is already cooking up an 8x write strategy for this media?

Originally posted by wesociety
Many people can already burn RICOHJPNR01 at 8x with very good quality using their 811/851 drives, so I don’t see this request as anything unreasonable. Maybe Herrie is already cooking up an 8x write strategy for this media?

Hmm okay I must have been confused. I vagely remember a scan of such a disc burned at 4x with PI values reaching up to about 150 (that wouln’t give good results on 8x). As I assume your scan is correct, my sincere apologies!

All of my 2500A RICOHJPNR01 6X burns have scanned with averages PI < 0.6 and PO < 0.05