I need firmware upgrade for Ricoh media at 8X!

vbimport

#1

I love Ricoh dyed media and NEC can only write at 6X while other 8X writers write at 8X!

nec! you listen to me! give us a firmware upgrade that can write ricoh (dvd+r:ricohjpn-r01-002) at 8x!

thank you very much!


#2

Is it really fair to demand a media that is officially rated 4x media be burnt at 8x?..


#3

Please don’t type everythin in caps, that’s considered shouting… something we don’t like to see…

Edit:

Sorry, wrong info!


#4

Feel free to e-mail NEC and ask them :slight_smile:

And you really don’t need it, you would just like that feature.

But I prefer not to burn media any faster than it’s rated speed, although based on my testing, 6x burning doesn’t seem to reduce write quality. I’m sure 8x would a bit, but not significantly enough to worry about.


#5

I remember back in the days of my LiteOn 24x cdrw, I used to burn 12X rated cdrs at 24x. The burn would go through fine but the quality was reduced a lot.


#6

Originally posted by j00k
I remember back in the days of my LiteOn 24x cdrw, I used to burn 12X rated cdrs at 24x. The burn would go through fine but the quality was reduced a lot.
On the side note, I remember the time I was writing cd media at 2X and I paid over $1,000 for the NEC cd writer… And I was very happy for the fact that I can write cd :iagree:


#7

Originally posted by giggy
[B]I love Ricoh dyed media and NEC can only write at 6X while other 8X writers write at 8X!

nec! you listen to me! give us a firmware upgrade that can write ricoh (dvd+r:ricohjpn-r01-002) at 8x!..[/B]

I can see why you want 8x support on RICOHJPNR01 with your 2500A, especially when the 6x burns turn out like this! (see attached image below)

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
…BTW, I don’t think you’d want to write at 8x on a 4x disc, as the quality of the burned discs would most probably be quite low (if not unreadable). I guess that write quality is more important than speed, isn’t it?

Many people can already burn RICOHJPNR01 at 8x with very good quality using their 811/851 drives, so I don’t see this request as anything unreasonable. Maybe Herrie is already cooking up an 8x write strategy for this media?



#8

Originally posted by wesociety
Many people can already burn RICOHJPNR01 at 8x with very good quality using their 811/851 drives, so I don’t see this request as anything unreasonable. Maybe Herrie is already cooking up an 8x write strategy for this media?

Hmm okay I must have been confused. I vagely remember a scan of such a disc burned at 4x with PI values reaching up to about 150 (that wouln’t give good results on 8x). As I assume your scan is correct, my sincere apologies!


#9

All of my 2500A RICOHJPNR01 6X burns have scanned with averages PI < 0.6 and PO < 0.05