I need clarification of Flashing a Verbatim cdrw

vbimport

As I understand it the Verbatim is a relabeled Liteon ..so to speak.. irealize it has Verbatim firmware

so a verbatim 401248...can be flashed to 40x or 48x...can you use MTKflash and flash directly to 48x or do you need to first flash to 40x liteon..40125S..then to 48x..also is it possible to know if the Verbatim is 40125S or 5W....I guess if it boots and Nero sees cav/mt rainier it would be 5W???

Thanks as always

Originally posted by nealh
[B]As I understand it the Verbatim is a relabeled Liteon …so to speak… irealize it has Verbatim firmware

so a verbatim 401248…can be flashed to 40x or 48x…can you use MTKflash and flash directly to 48x or do you need to first flash to 40x liteon…40125S…then to 48x…also is it possible to know if the Verbatim is 40125S or 5W…I guess if it boots and Nero sees cav/mt rainier it would be 5W???

Thanks as always [/B]

Just run a cdspeed writing test with an empty cd in your drive and you’ll know if it 5s or 5w (depending on Z-Clv/P-Cav and Mt. Rainer).

Using Mtkflash i think you can directly upgrade to 48125w,but better know what’s your drive before flashing.

I think it’s a 40125s.

Bye

thanks…I appreciate it

It shouldn’t really matter whether it is 40125S or W. Extract the current firmware using mtkflash (assuming it’s a Liteon 40x) and then flash to 48x using vs02.bin.

I agree burnproof…I did not even check the firmware that came with my LTR-40125S…from Cendyne at Officemax in US…I just flashed directly to 48125W…it reads discs fine…
I have done no burns as I ordered some 40x media and will give it go tonight
My Fuji cdrs which are 24x according to smartburn will burn at 40x…these are TY
the included Princo media from Cendyne will only do 24x with smartburn on …junky media

FYI, I bought the same drive from OfficeMax, a 40x 12x 48x Cendyne. It was labled as a Verbatim inside. I flashed it to 48x
with MTKFlash and now its recoginzed by the system bios etc as a Lite-On 48125W. Then I upgraded my Nero to the newest version and decided to do a burn at 48x just for kicks. I burned 450MB of data in @ 2:15 and had nero verify the data afterwards. No errors :). The media I used was Imation 32x 80Min/700MB. Hey I’m impressed :bigsmile:

I burned 450MB of data in @ 2:15

This time seems too long. Probably your burner didn’t burn @48x

Originally posted by burnproof
[B]

This time seems too long. Probably your burner didn’t burn @48x… [/B]

i was gonna say the same thing lol

me for 48x with 80 meg cdr 701 meg

time is 2 minutes 47 seconds !!

and for 40x burn on same media its 3 minutes 10 seconds !!

those are my times and there acurate :slight_smile:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :bow:

Originally posted by wawo
FYI, I bought the same drive from OfficeMax, a 40x 12x 48x Cendyne. It was labled as a Verbatim inside. I flashed it to 48x
with MTKFlash and now its recoginzed by the system bios etc as a Lite-On 48125W. Then I upgraded my Nero to the newest version and decided to do a burn at 48x just for kicks. I burned 450MB of data in @ 2:15 and had nero verify the data afterwards. No errors :). The media I used was Imation 32x 80Min/700MB. Hey I’m impressed :bigsmile:

To make conclusive tests you need to create a Full 650 or 700MB CD, because erors tend to show at the very end of the disk. At 450MB you are typically running at the 51 minute mark of an 80 minute blank, at which location the burner is running at 41X with the VS01 or VS02 firmware.

Also, Nero wil verify the file integrity of the data, correct, but that won’t reveal the C2 errors the disk might have. You need CD Speed for that, use the Scandisk, surface test function to test for them. CD Speed is located in the \Nero Toolkit folder of Nero.