I need advice on updating my current gaming computer

vbimport

Hey guys!

I would like expert opinions on updating my outdated SLI gaming computer. I built it in August 2006 for $3k in parts and modeled it after some popular gaming systems at the time and like all systems–time and technology has made my then cutting edge system, a sloth compared to present day gaming machines. Vista was new at the time and caused too many issues to be considered, particularly in frame rate loss, so I used Windows XP as OS. I then learned that XP doesn’t make use of use both cores, so then I upgraded to XP Pro. I want the next build to last me for a few years also–this is what I have…
[COLOR=black]Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6700 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI x 16 ATX Intel Motherboard – [/COLOR](I attempted to add 2 additional gigs to this board, but it crashed. I was later told that Windows XP only recognizes 3 gig—is this true for XP Pro also?)
2- [COLOR=black]ASUS EN7900GTX/2DHT/512M GeForce 7900GTX 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]ASUS PHYSXP1/128M/GRAW/A PhysX Processing Unit 128MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI PhysX P1 Ghost Recon Edition Physics Card [/COLOR](This was thought to be the next big tech in “06”—not used very much today, but pretty cool to see!)
[COLOR=black]SeaSonic S12-600 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail [/COLOR](This thing started smoking after 18 months! I have a 700 watt power supply now.)
[COLOR=black]CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400PRO[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]SAMSUNG Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Windows 98SE/ ME/ 2000/ XP - OEM[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10000 RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model SH-S182D/BEBE - OEM[/COLOR]
Microsoft Windows XP Pro
Thanks in advance for your time!

A few general observations, you can make your specific picks, brand loyalty never allows a person to be objective.

Windows XP is old, insecure and only supports DX9. Use Windows 7 x64 for your next build. It will work just fine for gaming and does not have any impact on frames, anyone who tells you otherwise, does not know what they are talking about. Period.

On the video card front, it is trending towards an all ATI world, at least in the not too distant future. Nvidia is desperate to branch out and be more than just a PC graphic card vendor. Fermi maybe a great card and it may compete with ATI’s newest offerings, but I am worried that little Nvidia is spreading itself too thin by trying to be too much.

Regardless of whether you choose to go Lynnfield/P55 or Bloomfield/X58, you will definitely want to go with an SSD for your boot/application drive. That alone will give you the single biggest real world performance boost.

13fathoms, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

So whats you budget going to be and what is you current monitor?

So you can reuse your DVD burner, floppy, PSU, HDD (SSD isn’t worth it just yet) and case (unless you want something new).

You can sell alot of your old stuff on ebay, CPU/MB/RAM/GFX card will all fetch a few bucks to help pay for the new system…

Too bad about the Seasonic, the fan probably failed, it should have been under warranty.

13fathoms, here’s some advice on top of the line components for a new gaming system:

GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard One of the few MB’s with USB 3.0, can do SLI or Crossfire.
Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
KINGWIN XT-1264 120mm Xtreme Direct H.T.C. (Heat-pipe Touch Chip) CPU Cooler

And then the video card. Starting with one really good card would be best, then like a year later or whatever you can add a second. So I would start with a 5850 or a 5870, Link There is limited availability, and the price will probably drop 20-50 bucks over the next 1-4 months.