I need a simple CD copy protection method, Please help me

I’m a Delphi programer and I want to use a method to make a software CD-ROM copy protected, I just need a simple method that make me able to check in my source code to see if CD is original then program executes. I’m confused and I don’t know what to do, May you please help me?
Thanks in advance

Copy protections are discussed very often here. In most cases it is how to bypass these protections, but also it is discussed here how to create them (for all kinds of reasons).

There are several programs available to can put a copy protection on a disc, usually preventing the actual copying. You have to keep in mind though that up to know every copy protection can (or will) be cracked by people. Copy protections only make it hard for people that have little knowledge on copying (people that don’t visit this forum :wink: ), but the hardcore copyer will always find a way around it.

The trouble is that when you do a search on this forum on ‘Copy Protection’ you end up with a whole long list of hits on how to bypass copy protections, but if you search a bit deeper you will find answers.

I came up with the following thread for you:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=37865&highlight=how+AND+make+AND+your+AND+own+AND+copy+AND+protection

CD Protector and Freelock are two of the protections mentioned. Hopefully it helps.

I see that you want to develop your own copy-protection!

The standard home method has always been Illegal Table of Contents, Dummy Files, or other track layouts. But these are usually easily bypassed (in my experience).

If you want to make a protection similar to the professional techniques (eg SafeDisc), you will need to do the following:

1. Create a file with a special bit-pattern and an executable that will be able to check against this.

2. Then you need to damage or corrupt part of the file which the special bit-patterns are located in. I don’t know how you can corrupt this file, but I know it’s possible (my 4-year old brother always corrupts files).

3. Since that file is corrupted it will not be copyable (RAW software most likely will copy it, though).

4. When a user copies the CD, the corrupted file is left out of the copied disc since most casual software will skip errors. Now the executable looks for that file because thats where it checks the specific bit patterns and cannot find it on the copied CD.

5. Then a message comes up like “You cock sucker” that you programmed and they are out of luck.

> You have to keep in mind though that up to
> know every copy protection can (or will) be
> cracked by people. Copy protections only make it
> hard for people that have little knowledge on
> copying (people that don’t visit this forum ), but
> the hardcore copyer will always find a way
> around it.

Hrm, no offense intended but copying knowledge
and cracking knowledge are two different things.
On these boards I have seen lots of copying
knowledge, ie how to well use existing programs
and burners to copy cds. However I have not seen
cracking knowledge here, and therefore for any new
protection (currently SD2.51), readers of this board
and ‘hardcore copyers’ are just stuck.

Thats right Spath…not once do i hear about someone making the crack or modifying the working of a program.
(translating CLony does not count…although we appreciate it)

This forum is not about cracking, for that is illegal.
Cracking is modifying the software, whereas trying to copy the original disc without having to modify the software is not.

*editedme talking shit…

Originally posted by Huzzy
no way…its my right to make 1 backup correct ?

Perhaps you should read this article:
http://maximumpc.com/reprints/reprint_2002-01-08.html

That explains a bit more on what is and what isn’t allowed.

> This forum is not about cracking, for that is
> illegal. Cracking is modifying the software,
> whereas trying to copy the original disc without
> having to modify the software is not

No, patching the software is just one of the
cracking methods, there are others where you don’t
modify any file. Also cracking is no more illegal in
itself than using clonecd or daemon tools, all are
just methods to circumvent a copy protection : how
you use these methods make them illegal or not, at
least in europe. Now if you use ‘illegal’ as defined in
the DMCA, then you should ban all tools whose
authors have reverse engineered copy protections,
clonecd and daemon-tools in first place.

By the way, you used the word ‘crack’ in the first
place, not me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My main problem is that almost all of forums are talking about cracking or making copy of protected CD-ROM’s and I have not been able to find a programming related site, Does anyone know about such sites?

*edit more shit talk
:stuck_out_tongue:

“No, patching the software is just one of the
cracking methods, there are others where you don’t
modify any file. Also cracking is no more illegal in
itself than using clonecd or daemon tools, all are
just methods to circumvent a copy protection : how
you use these methods make them illegal or not, at
least in europe.” - Spath

You may be wrong about CloneCD and Cracks comparison. Cracking is indeed illegal since you cannot “reverse-engineer, modify files, blah blah blah” and cracks do that. CloneCD on the other hand makes an exact replica, nothing modified, and you are allowed to backup your software. I also think that Daemon tools is legal too because I don’t think it modifies, but it emulates a virtual drive to circumvent it.

maybe i dont understand clone CD AWS feature ?

i thought it modified the weak sectors ?

Originally posted by Huzzy
[B]maybe i dont understand clone CD AWS feature ?

i thought it modified the weak sectors ? [/B]

CloneCD’s AWS is like betablocker what it does is strengthens the weak sectors that most writers that couldn’t copy SD2 now could

> You may be wrong about CloneCD and Cracks comparison. Cracking is
> indeed illegal since you cannot “reverse-engineer, modify files,
> blah blah blah” and cracks do that. CloneCD on the other hand
> makes an exact replica, nothing modified, and you are allowed
> to backup your software.

True, but where do you think the ‘amplify weak sectors’ option
comes from, if not from reverse engineering safedisc2 protection ?

> I also think that Daemon tools is legal too because I don’t think
> it modifies, but it emulates a virtual drive to circumvent it.

Cracking just means circumventing a protection ; modifying the files
is one way to do it, coding ‘emulating’ drivers is another. My point
is : methods/tools/knowledge are not bad by themselves, only how
one uses them can be illegal. For instance, using patched files for
a personal backup is not a problem (with law, not EULA),
while using clonecd to sell copies is illegal.

Please let’s get back to the original question. If you want to continue the discussion above, you can do so by starting a thread in the CD Freaks Living Room.

The guy who started this thread is looking for a protection through programming language that does a CD Check to see if it is the original. The second question that he raised is if anyone knows any good sites about programming.

Don’t think it is possible though, but perhaps any of the hard core programmers thinks (or knows) otherwise.

Hi, I’m new to here but I also have the same question as the poster of this message. The difference is that I don’t know how to program so I can’t make my own CD protection :stuck_out_tongue: Is there some kinda program (one that is free) in which I could protect my CD’s with? This would be of great help :slight_smile:

Not a good idea to re-open a old post, you’ll put taxman in a foul mood.

anyways, i think i can help you with THIS

or do a search for creatign an illegal table of contents (TOC)

Hi,

I wanted to perform a perfect Illegal Table of Contents with my audio
tracks by using Windows Notepad.

But I don’t know how to do that exactly or precisely.

Could anyone please help me?

Thanks

John P.:bow: