I need a faster "shrink" program

DVDShrink brings my PC to its knees, especially with all the features turned on and when more than about 55% compression is needed.

When such a dvd is being “shrunk” my rate drops down into the 2800-3000K per second range.

Would the CloneDVD and AnyDvd be a good combination?

DVD2One blows them all out of the water in terms of speed, but if a title needs 55% compression the results can’t be good with a transcoder. I would recommend DVD Rebuilder for those, it takes quite a bit longer than DVD Shrink, but the results are worth the wait.

For speed, I can say DVDFab is the fastest.

http://www.dvdfab.com/

If DVD Shrink brings your PC to its knees, then DVD Rebuilder would tear it to pieces.

DVD2One seems to be the fastest. Of course the quality will suffer. Maybe it is time you update your PC?

Unfortunately my PC is about as fast as it will go… WinXP pro, 6400+ AMD, 3 gigs ram, and 500gb seagate drive with 32mb cache. Only thing faster would be an intel rig running an e8400 or e8500 CPU. A quad core CPU wouldn’t help much either, unless the program was written specifically so that it could use all 4 cores. In fact, due to the lower Mhz of the quad’s, if the program were not optimized for multithreads I would actually take a performance hit. If I knew of such a that could effectively use quad’s, I might consider going with one of the new Phenom 9850’s as they seem to be able to give the q6600’s a run for their money.

I have a AMD 3700 64 with 2 G’s of RAM and a 1600 FSB. I also have 3 Hard drives, a 200G a 70G and a 500G. If you had more hard drives you could speed up substantially as my 200G has all the programs and I rip using DvdFab to the 70G and use DvdShrink to get the DvdFab rip shrunk to the final .ISO to the 500G Seagate. By having only one hard drive your computer haw to go back and forth storing everything in it’s cache while doing a juggling act. Your reading and writing to the same hard drive, that’s your main problem. I can shrink a movie in about 15 min. I can do a “Main Movie only” quicker.

[QUOTE=evil_lurker;2075098]DVDShrink brings my PC to its knees, especially with all the features turned on and when more than about 55% compression is needed.

When such a dvd is being “shrunk” my rate drops down into the 2800-3000K per second range.

Would the CloneDVD and AnyDvd be a good combination?[/QUOTE]

CloneDVD and AnyDvd is a good combination…but i would try dvdfab as well…i think the transcoding engine for dvdfab is better than clonedvd (which doesnt have a very good transcoding engine)…and correct me if i’m wrong but i think dvdfab uses 2 passes where clonedvd uses just 1…but like others have said…for high compressions dvdrebuilder with an encoder is the way to go or just use DL discs

I agree with LOCO - DVD2One is very fast.

But for quality, you can’t beat DVD Rebuilder - it will take overnight for some slower PCs, but the quality is outstanding.

Regards

[QUOTE=blutach;2075627]I agree with LOCO - DVD2One is very fast.

But for quality, you can’t beat DVD Rebuilder - it will take overnight for some slower PCs, but the quality is outstanding.

Regards[/QUOTE]

hows the quality with dvd2one compared to other transcoders?

Blutach likes comparing apples with oranges to promote his beloved DVD Rebuilder which is NO transcoder. Among transcoders Shrink IS the best in terms of quality though not in speed.

Here is a nice comparison of apples and oranges…see for yourself.

[QUOTE=LOCOENG;2075877]Here is a nice comparison of apples and oranges…see for yourself.[/QUOTE]

seems like clonedvd2 kind of smooths the image so that some details are lost…seems like shrink does better than dvd2one but dvd2one is ALOT faster…the transcoders did better than i thought they would on 51% compression…but wouldnt the difference be bigger if you played the results on a 42 inch hdtv or higher so the picture would be stretched a little?

Yes - if you are compressing a lot and down to lower bitrates and viewing on a big screen, you will increase the cahnce of compression artefacts being visible.

Of course, if the bitrate was huge to begin with and the Q is low, it may not matter. See here.

Regards

I use a 47" LCD and I don’t see any artifacts…of course I’m not using DVD2One or DVD Shrink on movies that require 20%-30% compression. And as blu’s link explains it all depends on the bitrate. For the heavy duty movies, as I said earlier, I use DVDRB.

[QUOTE=Blodulv;2075740]hows the quality with dvd2one compared to other transcoders?[/QUOTE]

It’s very good IMO but as others have said that’s very subjective and you’d be better trying it out for yourself.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Chetwood;2075846]Blutach likes comparing apples with oranges to promote his beloved DVD Rebuilder which is NO transcoder. Among transcoders Shrink IS the best in terms of quality though not in speed.[/QUOTE]

If quality is paramount then DVD Rebuilder can’t be beaten. That’s the reason it’s so widely recommended.

If quality is less important and you choose to transcode then the choice is more open to debate.

I personally prefer DVD2One but I can understand why people choose to go down the free route.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=blutach;2075627]But for quality, you can’t beat DVD Rebuilder - it will take overnight for some slower PCs, but the quality is outstanding.

Regards[/QUOTE]ditto and for faster machines it only takes me a few hours tops.

He said he has an AMD 6400 w/ 4G’s of Ram. He is working on only one hard drive. When I used to do that my machine was slow as molasses. You need at least one another hard drive to pick up speed anf thaat shouldn’t be on the same cable as the primary drive… DvdRebuilder is the slowest program I have ever tried. Of course it is rebuilding the whole DVD. I don’t know why anyone would bother, just watch the original. If DVDShrink brings your computer to your knees, with the specs you have mentioned, you have something else going on. I can’t imagine anything anyone mentioned her (except Fentao’s comment, maybe) speeding up your shrink process, which I though was the subject of this thread.

With those specs, it’s most likely a DMA issue.

Regards

[QUOTE=LOCOENG;2075877]Here is a nice comparison of apples and oranges…see for yourself.[/QUOTE]

I doubt that still pictures can convey how good a software is when it comes to [I]moving[/I] pictures. So unless I see someone posting short comparison clips I’m gonna stick with Shrink. I also still don’t see the point of advertising the slowest program given the OP specifically asked for something faster.