I need 2 ROM Drivers CD-RW, DVD-ROM

Hey people,

Sorry to bother you, but I could use some help of some dependable people. I need to find drivers for these two devices;

Compaq DVD-ROM DVD-117 and
HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8240B

I hope someone can help me find these drivers. I’ll will be eternally grateful. Thanks!

These are both internal IDE (ATAPI) devices, right?

Well than I’m sorry to dissapoint you, but there are no drivers needed for these drives! They work just as fine without (there are probably no drivers for the drives, except for maybe some drivers for DOS or so)…

Well then I guess there is a real problem. Both of those drives don’t work on my computer. When I try to access them nothing happens and my computer says that both of them are corrupt (Code 39). What should I do? I’m not very skilled in fixing these things. Does anyone know of a way of fixing this?

Delete them from device manager and restart your computer?

corrupt?? that sounds like the two drives are dead… try callin the manufacturer for warranty to see if it can be replaced or possibly repaired :stuck_out_tongue:

For a test try this

Download this file http://www.1kyle.com/ACTCD.SYS

this driver supports just about every CD / CDRW / DVD ATAPI device on the planet

Make a DOS boot disk

change the AUTOEXEC .BAT to
ECHO OFF
PROMPT $P$G
loadhigh NWCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001
MOUSE
SET TZ=GMT0GDT-1,M3.5.0/01:00,M10.5.0/02:00

If you are using an MS DOS disk rather than DR DOS then use MSCDEX instead of NWCDEX

Change the Config sys to

SHELL=A:\COMMAND.COM A:\ /E:512 /P
BUFFERS=15
FILES=30
DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICEHIGH=A:\ACTCD.SYS /D:MSCD001
LASTDRIVE=Z

Now boot and see if your CD 's are recognized

If you are using MSCDEX ensure the driver name ( for mine it’s MSCD001) is valid.

IF this works then your Windows system is hosed.

If it doesn’t your hardware is faulty – try seeing if the connections have come unstuck or the ribbbon is not properly fitted into the IDE slot on either the motherboard or the device.

(Little Tip – for diagnosing CD / DVD hardware problems it’s much easier in DOS than using 'Doze).

Does ne1 have a way that’s a little less confusing…

Try as dhc014 suggested. No luck? Uninstall ide controller and let windows reinstall it.

What operating system are you running? If you are running Windows 98 or Windows ME, here’s something you can try.

1. Go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel.
  2. Double-click on “Add/Remove Programs”.
  3. Go to the “Startup Disk” tab.
  4. Put a blank floppy in your floppy drive.
  5. Click the “Create Disk…” button.
  6. Follow the directions on the screen.
  7. Restart the computer (with the disk in the drive) when the disk has been created successfully.
  8. When the computer asks, select “Start computer with CD-ROM support”.
  9. Put CDs in your drives.
  10. Type “dir d:” and press <Enter>. Replace the “d” in “d:” with the letter of your drive if your drive isn’t “d:”.
  11. Repeat step 10 for your second drive.

You can also try this by downloading a Windows 98 boot disk image from http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm even if you aren’t running Win98 or Me. I would suggest downloading one of the ones that says it doesn’t have a RAMDisk. Just run the EXE file after you download it to make the boot floppy disk.

If DOS shows a list of files when you perform step 10, your drives are functioning properly and your problem is Windows.

Oh, I use Windows XP: Home Edition. Does that change things?

You can still try my directions in my previous post. You can download the boot disk image and use that. The only thing in my directions that changes is that you can’t make the boot disk using the “add/remove programs” control panel.

I’m not following you What’s a bootdisk? Where do I type in all this stuff ur talking anout. (I know, I very computer illiterate.)

Originally posted by black_spiderman
I’m not following you What’s a bootdisk? Where do I type in all this stuff ur talking anout. (I know, I very computer illiterate.)

A boot disk is a disk that boots your system into an OS. On www.bootdisk.com you can download disk images to start into a MS-DOS(like) environment.

The files that 1kyle is describing, are located in a:. With the command ‘edit’ (if available) you can put any text you want in the autoexec.bat and config.sys.