I kissed NEC 2500 goodbye

vbimport

Due to read issues I lost trust in NEC 2500. How come it can’t read what it just burned???

I sent it back and ordered Pioneer 107D instead.

I am having very similar problems…

I can burn discs and they play okay in winamp (mp3 data)… as well as burned movies playing in a few OLD crappy (GE and Apex) standalone DVD players…

but!

All of my Nero DVD Speed and DVDInfoPro scans look really bad!

I’m not sure if this is my drive or bad firmware or what, as I understand that the NEC is media picky, but I’ve been using MXLRG02 (4x -R burn at 4x) and and RICOHJPNR01 (4x +R burn at 6x)…

Even though the burns work fine in the DVD player and I’ve not had problems with data readback, the horrible scans are buggin me… Any suggestions (other than buying a new drive!)??

–neoplex

Neoplex, here is a EXTREMELY easy fix for this, are you watching the scan for hours at a time like watch a dvd movie, NO??? Step 2 are you listening to your scan, or listening to your good quality burns of your mP3 files, NO??? Then why worry about a bloody scan??? If you just gotta worry try a better quality media, that is usually the problem. We all want the best DVD burner but scimp out in buying expensive media, is cheaper better, NO WAY!!! If you start making coasters or bad scans you can easily double or triple your cost of those cheap disks.

Neoplex, what program are you using for those scans??? I have tried Kprobe but u need a LiteON drive to use it. i’ll just bet ya that my Plextor will give a bad scan as well. I just tried DVDinfopro & did a read test & NO read errors on 2 of my burned dvd’s not sure if thats a valid test. I did the test on + & - discs.

Who cares about these scans? all i know is anything i burn PLAYS on my dozen or so STANDALONES…unlike my plextor 708a, Go buy another burner and you’ll be crying about a NEW set of problems;)

Like others, I was worried about the read/write quality of the NEC. From the messages posted on this forum the average joe would think this drive barely works at all. This is just not true!

I have had ZERO problems with the unit so far. I have burned about 10 movies and a whole slew of data discs. They play on every stand alone unit I’ve tried. I’ve read discs that were scratched up pretty bad and they read fine. Yes, the drive slowed down while reading the scratched areas but they read with no errors.

I wish I had a Pioneer so I could see if there is a difference between the two units, but if you look at the reviews posted here and at some other sites, the NEC ranks just as high or even better than the Pioneer.

My only theory is that the media must be the most important part of the equation. I have used FujiFilm and Maxell and both burn great. I have not used the burner for any CDs - only DVDs.

I got some o1ne dvd-Rx1 disks going cheap at £9.99 for 25. Cdclone was quite happy to let me copy a disk at x4.2 speed and the disk plays, on the Nec and my Liteon dvd-Rom. If only Nero would ignore the correct media speed as supplied via the Nec I would be happy. As it is Nero insists these cheap disks are x2 speed and which is still better than face spec.

Originally posted by neoplex
[B]Even though the burns work fine in the DVD player and I’ve not had problems with data readback, the horrible scans are buggin me… Any suggestions (other than buying a new drive!)??

–neoplex [/B]

Yeah, I have a suggestion. Stop reading the scans and enjoy your drive.

Scans are very subjective, and vary by the drive you read the discs on when reporting the scans. Some models of LiteON DVD-ROM/DVD+R drives generate much higher error reports than others --for the exact same disc.

You could consider trying different media too, but as long as a disc reads and plays back fine for me, I consider it a good disc. I have yet to burn a coaster with my 2500A.

P.S. I don’t get why people are using the 2500A as a reader. There are better DVD-ROM drives for reading and ripping, and with a good system, this also would allow for copying on the fly. A LiteOn 166S or Plextor 116A DVD drive is only $25-40 online, and well worth it. It’s important to me how the NEC writes; I could care less how it reads.

I didn’t come here to argue with any body. If a drive can’t read what it just wrote then something is wrong with it. I don’t want to buy another “read only drive”. If I back up some files on RW I want to be able to copy back those files in to my computer with out getting all kind of read errors.

I think what they are all trying to say is that if your disc reads fine in stand alones, while upgrading to to better media could benefit…we are all doubtful of scan reports…and you seem to get working burns.

Your problem as i understand it…you burn a disc…cant read same disc in the drive you burned it with…again, better media, but my guess is you drive is locked by software.:slight_smile:

I had this problem once after I install Elby’s CDcopy. I unticked the “lock cd” option…lo and behold…I could actually read the disc I had burned in that same drive without a reboot…(sometimes SEVERAL reboots)…:slight_smile:

Hope this helps

Originally posted by jaydee123
If you just gotta worry try a better quality media, that is usually the problem. We all want the best DVD burner but scimp out in buying expensive media, is cheaper better, NO WAY!!! If you start making coasters or bad scans you can easily double or triple your cost of those cheap disks.

I couldn’t agree more. I’ve been saying it for a long time now: “Crap In = Crap Out”.

Originally posted by dlogidur
I didn’t come here to argue with any body. If a drive can’t read what it just wrote then something is wrong with it. I don’t want to buy another “read only drive”. If I back up some files on RW I want to be able to copy back those files in to my computer with out getting all kind of read errors.

I understand that, so do I. But that’s another reason why I have a separate DVD-ROM drive anyway. My 16x DVD-ROM is a faster reader than the NEC, and reads discs burned by the NEC without a problem. So do the standalone players I’ve tried my burned discs on.

Most people do have more than one optical drive in their system, and I don’t know anyone whose ROM drive couldn’t consistently read the NEC’s discs, so restoring backed up data for these people shouldn’t be a problem. And your post that started the thread is at least mildly argumentative by content alone, though not offensive. If you like your Pioneer better, fine, I’m happy for you. They’re good drives, but I’m perfectly happy with my NEC.

The reason that I’m concerned with my scans is that my NEC is my FIRST and ONLY optical drive – the last optical drive I owned was a 4X CD-ROM. I bought the drive due to it’s dual-format read or burn anything reputation… I understand that I could go out and buy a Lite-On 166S for $30 (bananapc.com), but I’d rather be confident in my current drive’s reading ability.

As for media, my first media was TDK -R 2x (princo rebrands)… coasterfest! Since then I’ve been using RICOHJPNR00 and R01, MXLRG02 and MCC002… they burn and read just fine…

BUT!

The CDSpeed and DVDInfoPro scans show read errors, even though they read the data and the movies back fine.

I’m just gunna take the advice from here and be content with my working but not immaculate burns…

–neoplex

I agree that NEC is a good writer. I didn’t use cheap media. I used Memorex 4X DVD-R and Ritek G04. I have an older Pioneer 104 burner that does good job writing and reading on Princos, Optodiscs, Riteks and TDK. I wanted faster burn speed so I got NEC, but it turned that SOMETIMES it will give read errors.

If you are all happy with NEC that’s good, enjoy it.

[B]The reason that I’m concerned with my scans is that my NEC is my FIRST and ONLY optical drive – the last optical drive I owned was a 4X CD-ROM. I bought the drive due to it’s dual-format read or burn anything reputation… I understand that I could go out and buy a Lite-On 166S for $30 (bananapc.com), but I’d rather be confident in my current drive’s reading ability.

[/B]

I’ve read two reviews of the 2500a on the web and they both say the same thing:- The Nec is a damn good writer but not a top notch reader. You could have gone for another burner and then found read errors due to poor burning! I would live with the NEC’s weakness and add a DVD-rom drive. This gives you the option of disk to disk copying and DVd-Rom drives have faster access times, essential to avoid lags in some games!

[B]The reason that I’m concerned with my scans is that my NEC is my FIRST and ONLY optical drive – the last optical drive I owned was a 4X CD-ROM. I bought the drive due to it’s dual-format read or burn anything reputation… I understand that I could go out and buy a Lite-On 166S for $30 (bananapc.com), but I’d rather be confident in my current drive’s reading ability.

As for media, my first media was TDK -R 2x (princo rebrands)… coasterfest! Since then I’ve been using RICOHJPNR00 and R01, MXLRG02 and MCC002… they burn and read just fine…

BUT!

The CDSpeed and DVDInfoPro scans show read errors, even though they read the data and the movies back fine.

I’m just gunna take the advice from here and be content with my working but not immaculate burns…

–neoplex [/B]

I have owned some of the best CDRW drives money can buy (Yamaha 4x, Yamaha 8x, Yamaha CRW-F1) and I have to say that so far, the NEC has performed on par with them, both for CD’s and DVD’s. If the NEC produced discs that could not be read by other DVD-ROM drives, I’d have cause for concern. I think the read ability on the NEC drive itself is probably a firmware issue that can be fixed, but in the meantime, its discs can be read by other readers without issue. And reviews of the NEC so far have indicated that it is one of the best at compatibility with other readers and in burning DVD’s with low error counts. I wouldn’t worry.

I’ve read two reviews of the 2500a on the web and they both say the same thing:- The Nec is a damn good writer but not a top notch reader. You could have gone for another burner and then found read errors due to poor burning! I would live with the NEC’s weakness and add a DVD-rom drive. This gives you the option of disk to disk copying and DVd-Rom drives have faster access times, essential to avoid lags in some games!

Same research I’ve seen too. I went with an NEC 2500A + Lite-On DVD/CD-RW combo drive (all purprose reader) for a grand total of only $145 LOL! (newegg.com)

Is it historically accurate to expect firmware upgrades months down the road to make the NEC a better reader or does NEC not put out OEM firmware upgrades?

Just out of curiosity, what burning software are you guys using. Surely this has an impact on readability of the discs?

I have a Pioneer 104 and a 2500A and I definitely get better scans from my 104 discs using Nero CDSpeed.

so far I don’t have problem reading the discs burn with NEC just yet. I own Pioneer 106D, Lite-On 411s NEC2500A and I can tell you each of them have unique ability. Lite-on of course reading and speed but not so prefer as writer. Pioneer is indeed very good reader (If I have dvd-rom that can’t be read with anyone else I always use Pioneer and 8 out of 10 Pioneer read those just fine) also good writer not so picky as Lite-On. NEC is very very good in writing quality (but pretty slow) especially on some cheap media, reading I’m not sure but I experienced it a lot better than Sumsung DVD-ROM drive. About 15 so far that I have burnt with NEC and all of them can play back on NEC itself (all movies). I’m not sure about data thou.

I have yet to experience that my 2500 didn’t read a disc, burned or DVD-video or anything.
I have even with the help of DVD X Rescue copied an old disc that couldn’t be read with any other drive, and trust me, i tried every one i could get my hands on! CD-readers, CD-burners, Dvd-readers and so on. None but the Nec could read it!

And since i haven’t any other dvd-reader since before, i’ll consider that a real good thing! :wink: