I keep getting bad burned dvd's :(

Specs/detailed info first:
I have a dell inspiron 1521 notebook (bought it about 3 months ago)
it has windows vista home premium 32bit
pbds dvd ±RW DS-8w1p ata device (the dvd burner it has)
I bought 50pack Verbatim DVD+R discs made by DataLifePlus.

I am trying to back up my dvd movies into my computer hard drive, and making new dvd copies of the movies, so that I can put away the originals.

My goal is to use the dvd burned copies to play them on my dvd player attached to my TV.
dvd players I have (are 2):

magnavox mdv456 http://www.pricerunner.com/pi/4-364017/DVD-Players/Magnavox-MDV456-Product-Info

Zenith xbv443 http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=XBV-443-R&cat=CON

Ok, well I hope thats enough specs, if its not then pls let me know what else to put up.

THE PROBLEM:

Ok, so Im able to transform the dvd movie into a iso. I even play the iso in daemon tools and it plays just fine, nice quality nice sound and very smooth.
So i use imgBurn to burn the iso to a blank dvd (verbatim +R) and the burn is successful. However, when i play the dvd on the tv, it plays fine but it will get really choppy and even laggy, and just get worse and worse until it freezes at some point in the movie. For another movie, the burned dvd would just freeze at some point, even though it was playing fine.
I have also tried to play these dvd’s in my notebook, but the same problems occur. So in my opinion is the burned dvd’s that are bad, meaning a bad burn job. Well, it could be many other things, so I’m coming here for help. Also I have used Nero 8 trial version but that creates bad burns too. Since i bought my dvd discs about 2-3 weeks ago, I have successfully made copies of my dvd movies into my Hard Drive in the form of ISO’s but 5 out of the 6 movies I currently have, haven’t played successfully on my TV/dvd player, 1 movie was able to play just fine.

When Im burning the movies, I dont have programs running, the only thing I have open is the dvd burnig program, and whatever is running on the bottom-right side of the screen. But those arent big programs (i think). I once tried the verify option on ImgBurn but after it burned succesfully the verifying gave me a ton of errors on that dvd, soo I guess that has something to do with it but I am not sure.

can someone help pls :frowning:

2 things I can think of set booktype to dvd-rom and slow your burn speed to 1/2 the disks and or burners speed which ever is less.

Burn slower.

i did burn in 8x 4x and even 2.4x, all had the same results.
I will try setting the booktype to dvd-rom and burn that way

I tried burning with booktype: DVD-ROM but when i try to load the iso file, it says the file is bigger than 2 gigs, and it tells me to use the UDF file sytem for bigger files.

Have you tried burning it with Imgburn-it is free and works great.
Edit: Just saw you already tried Imgburn so my guess is the file is funky-use Imgburn in build mode and try again.Also what program did you use to rip the original?

NTFS is a must also.

tgidday: i used dvd decrypter

Hey, Ive been doing some research, and Im starting to get the impression the problem is my DVD players. Not necessarily that the laser is ‘broken’ but that the dvd players are too old, and are having a hard time playing burned dvd’s.
Look at this sites:

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=28724

http://johnaugust.com/archives/2006/i-want-a-cheap-slutty-dvd-player

what are the chances that one of those dvd players, like the cyberdone player can play my burned dvd’s without an issue?

[QUOTE=Romario84;1909078]tgidday: i used dvd decrypter

Not necessarily that the laser is ‘broken’ but that the dvd players are too old, and are having a hard time playing burned dvd’s.
what are the chances that one of those dvd players, like the cyberdone player can play my burned dvd’s without an issue?[/QUOTE]

I have the same drive but in a brand new Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop you are getting the problem playing on older DVD players/recorders because you may have not closed the disc when finished, they play fine in new dvd playes/recordes because the are divx compatable you can even play avi movies witout converting.

try the following click my computer > right mouse click the dvd drive > go down to properties > go to recording > click global setting > put a tick in auto close the current UDF when disk is ejected

Hopefull this will solve the problem. You could also be using newer type dvd discs that your old dvd recorder/player cannot not handle i.e 8 speed and above

Puddy
making the drive region free is easy just use ltn2 on the liteon page