I JUST got a new drive! It dosent work

vbimport

Hey, I just got a new drive. It is called… Internal Super Multi DVD Rewriter 20X. GH20. I cant find drivers on the LG website. OK, so here is the story… I had some HP drive and it dident work either. So I got this now one hoping it would work, it dident. :confused: So, I booted from the vista instalation disk, and it worked?!? Attached is a pic of what my device manager looks like. Any sugestions? Please help me:bow:

Welcome to CDF’s:

Those are not the same drives. The top one is your hard drive.

See what that yellow bang error is for you LG and google it for a fix or post what it is here.

I have the exact same problem with the new LG Internal Super Multi DVD Rewriter 20X. GH20 I installed in a buddy’s PC. It does not want to work. Same yellow exclamation mark in front of it inside Device Manager. Maybe that is why Fry’s Electronics knocked $2 off the price.

If someone has gotten a fix for this problem, I would appreciate hearing about it. If I don’t get a fix, I am returning this LG DVD Burner GH20 to Fry’s for a complete refund–in excess of $40 with the sales tax. I feel burnt buying this LG DVD burner.

Here is a fix guys,
How to fix Code 39 error
with DVD/CD-ROM drives in Windows XP or Vista

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/cd_drive_error_code_39.shtml

Use at your own risk tho.

Hope this heps yah.

I see mine in bios but not in windows. Anyone in the know have a suggestion. Running XP SP3

Uninstall the secondary IDE Channel

To do that, open Device Manager as follows. Right-click on My Computer, select Properties, click on the Hardware tag, click on the Device Manager button, click on the plus sign to the left of IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller, right-click on Secondary IDE Channel, click on Uninstall. Deactivating is not enough.

Reboot to make the changes active and permanent.

After booting Windows will automatically reinstall the IDE channel and the DVD (or CD) drive. This Plug-n-Play process can take a little while, so give it a minute after the boot process finishes.
Welcome to the forum

I tried to install a new LG gh22 cd/dvd burner. Installation went fine except that the computer would not boot up afterward. I have a Dell Dimension 8300 Pentium iv with plenty of space. Does this procedure work for this problem?
Thanks,
Leah

nm

[QUOTE=leachele;2218141]I tried to install a new LG gh22 cd/dvd burner. Installation went fine except that the computer would not boot up afterward. I have a Dell Dimension 8300 Pentium iv with plenty of space. Does this procedure work for this problem?
Thanks,
Leah[/QUOTE]Welcome to CDF’s:

Is this LG an IDE or SATA drive?

SATA
The one I am replacing is connected by a dual ribbon cable between it and the other DVD drive to the motherboard.

[QUOTE=leachele;2218167]SATA
The one I am replacing is connected by a dual ribbon cable between it and the other DVD drive to the motherboard.[/QUOTE]Then the one remaining on the ribbon needs to be on the end of the ribbon (not in the middle) and the jumper set to master. Is it set to master? This could cause your problem.

I don’t know but I will check.
Thanks,
Leah

[QUOTE=Bob;2218174]Then the one remaining on the ribbon needs to be on the end of the ribbon (not in the middle) and the jumper set to master. Is it set to master? This could cause your problem.[/QUOTE]

It’s sata no jumpers. Havent yet to see a sata ribbon cable with two ends. Maybe he is confused between PATA and SATA.

[QUOTE=pfloyd1;2218208]It’s sata no jumpers. Havent yet to see a sata ribbon cable with two ends. Maybe he is confused between PATA and SATA.[/QUOTE]

I think he went from 2 ide drives to one ide and one sata, Bob was just saying to put the remaining ide drive on the end of the ribbon and to make it the master.:stuck_out_tongue:

The hard drive on top is it a Seagate?

~Jethro~ Thank you for the advice. Did as stated however the Secondary was my CD rom.

The DVD rom is SATA and my first one at that so I am new to the SATA process.

I use IDE for the hard drive and CD rom.

Still shows in BIOS but not in Windows Device Manager. LG GH20 with Lightscribe.

Any other thoughts?

Did you install the sata drivers? Xp does not have them? Go to Dell search for your rig and download and install them.

here they are: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_8300