I just got a CD-ROM with a physical defect

I just got a CD-ROM with a little dot on the top side of the disc. When I move my finger over the dot, I can feel it, so it is definitely a physical defect. I know the top side contains the data layer, so I’m hoping there’s nothing wrong with the data.

If I were to run a TRT on the disc using Nero CD-DVD Speed, and the TRT looks smooth, does that guarantee that there’s nothing wrong with the data on the disc?

[QUOTE=sl_dvd;2301712]I just got a CD-ROM with a little dot on the top side of the disc. When I move my finger over the dot, I can feel it, so it is definitely a physical defect. I know the top side contains the data layer, so I’m hoping there’s nothing wrong with the data.

If I were to run a TRT on the disc using Nero CD-DVD Speed, and the TRT looks smooth, does that guarantee that there’s nothing wrong with the data on the disc?[/QUOTE]

What kinda cd-rom is it? You have to try it find out what happens first. And knowing the defect is good but without you trying the cd-rom you won’t know.

It is a recovery disc for a laptop. I want to reinstall the OS, and I want to make certain the OS gets installed correctly! I could definitely do the reinstall now, but how do I know if a file doesn’t get copied to the HD incorrectly, and a few months from now I’m getting strange errors and not knowing what’s going on?

If I can somehow be sure that the defect on the disc doesn’t affect any of the data, then that would be good. I think a smooth TRT will tell me that, but I wanted to make sure by asking the experts. :slight_smile:

If it really concerns you that it won’t work just inform the company they sent you a defective recovery media and do a RMA to get another copy that doesn’t show that defect…

Hi,

Additionally, it’s not a bad idea to make a backup of this disc, just in case.
A TRT should reveal issues your drive has with that disc. A smooth curve is an indication, the drive that was used for the TRT has had no problems reading them.

Michael

Is it possible the drive could have no problem reading something, but what it reads is corrupted instead of the real data?