I just downloaded Java update

vbimport

I just downloaded java update 6.0.11. Upon clicking open Windows Task Manager it appears that there are 3 open java processes of 35K, 49K and 40K. I’m supposing this correlates to the amount of windows that I have open that use it. But it sounds like a huge memory drain.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

[quote=spodekmodek;2171193]I just downloaded java update 6.0.11. Upon clicking open Windows Task Manager it appears that there are 3 open java processes of 35K, 49K and 40K. I’m supposing this correlates to the amount of windows that I have open that use it. But it sounds like a huge memory drain.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks![/quote]
I have found and you can confirm this, when you look in add/remove programs, that when you update Java is does not uninstall the previous version. They just build up on your hdd. I really dont know the reason for this but it sounds really strange that they all would be running at the same time. All I know is that many sites need the Java applet to run but I am not sure if the updates run off the original installation so I leave them there.

As soon as I install the new Java update, I immediately go into Control Panel / Add\Remove & remove the old. Have done this now for a few years & never had any problems. I did ask them about removing the old ones a while ago, when I first found out, the reply was, if you do it, let us know.

I have no “JAVA” processes running here in XP-SP3 with the latest JAVA update. Likewise nothing showing in MSCONFIG. You can open your JAVA settings from Control Panel, but there shouldn’t be anything but the updater to turn off. Have you re-booted?

[QUOTE=alan1476;2171197]I have found and you can confirm this, when you look in add/remove programs, that when you update Java is does not uninstall the previous version. They just build up on your hdd. I really dont know the reason for this but it sounds really strange that they all would be running at the same time. All I know is that many sites need the Java applet to run but I am not sure if the updates run off the original installation so I leave them there.[/QUOTE]

I noticed that as well Alan but I just remove the older version prior installing the new versions then reboot and haven’t had any problem so far doing that. What version do you have showing in your add/remove for java spodekmodek??

Thanks for the feedback folks. I had java 5. Which I just deleted after installing the 6 update. I was able to remove. I will see if there are any repercussions (Vuse(azureus) et)

Thanks again

I always do like beef barley I just remove the old version and I’ve never had any problems
well… not yet anyway. :wink:

I NEVER update software.
That’s just lazy and it may carry unwanted baggage from the previous version as most software coders do not diligently process the removal of old and redundant files. Microsoft is a prime example.

I always uninstall the old version, reboot, then reinstall the new FULL version.

As for Java, the previous two releases are slightly different.
Processes on previous versions could be disabled in Control Panel, but the latest services on the new versions have to be disabed in Services and the Registry entry deleted from the startup.

One thing that might result in extra processes, is using the “fast start”, which warms up the java runtime at startup - if you always hit java applets, then this might be worth doing, otherwise it’s a waste of startup time.